HDTV works but no Analog tuning with ATI HDTV Wonder

Hi,

I have an P4 3.2 GHz win xp pro sp2 on ASUS p5ad2-e premium [bios v
1004] with Sapphire Radeon x850 XT and
300 GB SATA HD, as well as 4 IDE devices [2 DVD burners running at UDMa
4 & 2, and 2 IDE HD running at UDMA 5]. The machine is an ASUS P5AD2-e
premium, and the 4 ide devices are connected to the ide raid connector
[this board's default for this connector is standard IDE, and this is
the only connector to support 133 mode transfers]. I have all the
latest radeon drivers, as well as all of the latest hdtv drivers [as of
4/10/05] installed. HDTV works, tv fails to initialize. Running pc
check shows everything being ok, except questions marks about the 4 IDE
devices having DMA enable [all of whice show up as udma during boot
post]. In looking at windows device manager, the primary and secondary
ide's are set to dma as possible. Any suggestions on ways to correct
this.

I have the following drivers installed:

For Radeon: wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-121-050322a-022141c.exe

For HDTV Wonder:
mmc-9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe
hdtv-wonder-5-01_2026v2.exe
atiCDwiz.exe [for dtv decoder]
mmc-9-06-1.exe

and I have installed directx 9c (dxwebsetup.exe) as well as
remote-wonder-3-01-0-0-english.exe [which by the way, no longer seems
to load after having uninstalled and installed it a number of times.]

I have windows media player 10 installed as well as windows media
encoder 9.

Is quite frustrating - I would really like to get this to work. Could
this possibly be bad hardware? [I noticed on the physical unit the
silver box on the card had some light white substance across the metal]

I guess I shouldn't be suprised, I've had 3 machines with 3 different
ati tv products and with every single one, getting the tv part to work
has been the biggest hassle. If anyone can recommend a different tv
tuner card [even if by ati] I'm all ears as well.

Thanks,

George
ghadley_00@yahoo.com

Todd

copy these 4 files from the
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers subdirectory to
C:\WINDOWS\system32

vfwwdm32.dll (Video for Windows)
kstvtuner.ax
ksxbar.ax
kswdmcap.ax

worked for me

ati recomends this fix

ATI.com Info-base 4744 setup which is:

%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers

added to the System PATH Environment Variable.
Then reboot. See www.ati.com/support/infobase/4744.html

<ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an P4 3.2 GHz win xp pro sp2 on ASUS p5ad2-e premium [bios v
> 1004] with Sapphire Radeon x850 XT and
> 300 GB SATA HD, as well as 4 IDE devices [2 DVD burners running at UDMa
> 4 & 2, and 2 IDE HD running at UDMA 5]. The machine is an ASUS P5AD2-e
> premium, and the 4 ide devices are connected to the ide raid connector
> [this board's default for this connector is standard IDE, and this is
> the only connector to support 133 mode transfers]. I have all the
> latest radeon drivers, as well as all of the latest hdtv drivers [as of
> 4/10/05] installed. HDTV works, tv fails to initialize. Running pc
> check shows everything being ok, except questions marks about the 4 IDE
> devices having DMA enable [all of whice show up as udma during boot
> post]. In looking at windows device manager, the primary and secondary
> ide's are set to dma as possible. Any suggestions on ways to correct
> this.
>
> I have the following drivers installed:
>
> For Radeon: wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-121-050322a-022141c.exe
>
> For HDTV Wonder:
> mmc-9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe
> hdtv-wonder-5-01_2026v2.exe
> atiCDwiz.exe [for dtv decoder]
> mmc-9-06-1.exe
>
> and I have installed directx 9c (dxwebsetup.exe) as well as
> remote-wonder-3-01-0-0-english.exe [which by the way, no longer seems
> to load after having uninstalled and installed it a number of times.]
>
> I have windows media player 10 installed as well as windows media
> encoder 9.
>
> Is quite frustrating - I would really like to get this to work. Could
> this possibly be bad hardware? [I noticed on the physical unit the
> silver box on the card had some light white substance across the metal]
>
> I guess I shouldn't be suprised, I've had 3 machines with 3 different
> ati tv products and with every single one, getting the tv part to work
> has been the biggest hassle. If anyone can recommend a different tv
> tuner card [even if by ati] I'm all ears as well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> George
> ghadley_00@yahoo.com

Thanks - that did the trick.

I had seen references to www.ati.com/support/infobase/4744.html
elsewhere, but the link always forwarded me to :
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

Thanks for providing the info.

- GH

Todd wrote:
> [...]
seems
> > to load after having uninstalled and installed it a number of
times.]

> > I have windows media player 10 installed as well as windows media
> > encoder 9.
> >
> > Is quite frustrating - I would really like to get this to work.
Could
> > this possibly be bad hardware? [I noticed on the physical unit the
> > silver box on the card had some light white substance across the
metal]

> > I guess I shouldn't be suprised, I've had 3 machines with 3
different
> > ati tv products and with every single one, getting the tv part to
work
> > has been the biggest hassle. If anyone can recommend a different tv
> > tuner card [even if by ati] I'm all ears as well.

Todd

no problem it seems that when ati changed there web site they changed where
everything is

Todd wrote:
> copy these 4 files from the
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers subdirectory to
> C:\WINDOWS\system32
>
> vfwwdm32.dll (Video for Windows)
> kstvtuner.ax
> ksxbar.ax
> kswdmcap.ax
>
> worked for me
>
> ati recomends this fix
>
> ATI.com Info-base 4744 setup which is:
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers
>
> added to the System PATH Environment Variable.
> Then reboot. See www.ati.com/support/infobase/4744.html

Todd, I have a setup very similar to the original poster -- ATI
All-in-Wonder 9600XT and an HDTV Wonder. I had both cards installed and
they seemingly were co-existing fine. Then for reasons related to
Norton I decided to fresh-install everything from WinXP on up, and I
haven't been able to get things working right since.

I spent all day Saturday on this and pretty much all day Sunday,
becoming completely frustrated. In desperation, I removed the HDTV
Wonder card from my computer and then I met with success. I have a
really fine installation of the 9600 and the Remote Wonder II. Easylook
MMC works fine, DVD works fine, the FM radio works fine. I'm happy with
things as they are, but now I want to install the HDTV Wonder.

Here's how I reached my current state:

I installed WinXP and all my applications except the ATI drivers and
Norton Internet Security. I upgraded WinXP from the MS website until it
had all service packs and security upgrades. Then I backed up
everything on a DVD using Ghost.

Then I installed all this in the following order:

1) The latest Catalyst drivers from the ATI website. (022141c etc.)

2) 9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe from the website.

3) The DVD software from the website.

4) mmc-9-6-01 from the website

5) remote wonder 3-01-0-0 from the website

6) Guide Plus from the installation disk

And the system really works slick. I pick up that Remote Wonder II and
press TV and the Easylook Multi-Media Center kicks in and TV works
great. I can use the Catalyst panel to send everything to a 42" plasma
screen HDTV/computer monitor hanging on the wall, so I can watch Region
II DVDs on the big screen. Really, things are working just great.

But having been through all this a few times over the weekend, I think I
know what's going to happen when I try to install the HDTV Wonder.

I'll put the card back in the computer, boot, install the HDTV drivers
from the website (5-01_2026v2) and everything will stop working. Oh,
the Remote Wonder might still move the cursor, but TV won't work, HDTV
won't work, DVD won't work, etc. etc.

Now your suggestion might do the trick, and I was tempted to try it
tonight. If things go all wrong, it's not difficult to restore back to
the point where I am now -- I have it all backed up on a Ghost DVD --
but it is time-consuming.

So after typing all that, I have a question. Is it possible that my
trouble involves the Remote Wonder II? Is it possible that when I
install the HDTV Wonder, the remote tries to control both the HDTV
Wonder and the All in Wonder at the same time and that's what's breaking
the system?

Or maybe I should follow your instructions exactly.

Or how about the earlier suggestion in this thread. If I uninstall MMC
and then install the HDTV drivers and then simply reinstall MMC, do you
think that will work? And which version of MMC should I install -- the
version that I find in the All in Wonder section or the version that I
find in the HDTV section? Will either one detect the HDTV Wonder and
supply an icon for it?

Sorry for such a long post. But typing this took a lot less time than
screwing up my system again and then having to re-install from the Ghost
backup.

So if you have some advice, or even if I've lost you with all this,
thanks for reading.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

> <ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have an P4 3.2 GHz win xp pro sp2 on ASUS p5ad2-e premium [bios v
>>1004] with Sapphire Radeon x850 XT and
>>300 GB SATA HD, as well as 4 IDE devices [2 DVD burners running at UDMa
>>4 & 2, and 2 IDE HD running at UDMA 5]. The machine is an ASUS P5AD2-e
>>premium, and the 4 ide devices are connected to the ide raid connector
>>[this board's default for this connector is standard IDE, and this is
>>the only connector to support 133 mode transfers]. I have all the
>>latest radeon drivers, as well as all of the latest hdtv drivers [as of
>>4/10/05] installed. HDTV works, tv fails to initialize. Running pc
>>check shows everything being ok, except questions marks about the 4 IDE
>>devices having DMA enable [all of whice show up as udma during boot
>>post]. In looking at windows device manager, the primary and secondary
>>ide's are set to dma as possible. Any suggestions on ways to correct
>>this.
>>
>>I have the following drivers installed:
>>
>>For Radeon: wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-121-050322a-022141c.exe
>>
>>For HDTV Wonder:
>>mmc-9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe
>>hdtv-wonder-5-01_2026v2.exe
>>atiCDwiz.exe [for dtv decoder]
>>mmc-9-06-1.exe
>>
>>and I have installed directx 9c (dxwebsetup.exe) as well as
>>remote-wonder-3-01-0-0-english.exe [which by the way, no longer seems
>>to load after having uninstalled and installed it a number of times.]
>>
>>I have windows media player 10 installed as well as windows media
>>encoder 9.
>>
>>Is quite frustrating - I would really like to get this to work. Could
>>this possibly be bad hardware? [I noticed on the physical unit the
>>silver box on the card had some light white substance across the metal]
>>
>>I guess I shouldn't be suprised, I've had 3 machines with 3 different
>>ati tv products and with every single one, getting the tv part to work
>>has been the biggest hassle. If anyone can recommend a different tv
>>tuner card [even if by ati] I'm all ears as well.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>George
>>ghadley_00@yahoo.com

Todd

no expert here on the hdtv wonder i gave up on mmc i was getting skiping and
pauses. went out and bought media center 2005 which in my opion is 1000X
better than ati's software but i belive what your planning should work from
what i've read from other posts.

uninstall mmc first
then follow the instructions on ati's site for the installation but make
sure that you install the drivers for the hdtv wonder before you install the
card.
if after your done and the anlog tuner doesn't work than use the fix

hope this helps

Todd

"Todd" <my_news_2@msn.com> wrote in message
> no expert here on the hdtv wonder i gave up on mmc i was getting skiping
and
> pauses. went out and bought media center 2005 which in my opion is 1000X
> better than ati's software but i belive what your planning should work
from
> what i've read from other posts.
>
> uninstall mmc first
> then follow the instructions on ati's site for the installation but make
> sure that you install the drivers for the hdtv wonder before you install
the
> card.
> if after your done and the anlog tuner doesn't work than use the fix
>
> hope this helps

It did help, Todd. Everything's working now. Thanks!

Bill Anderson

TRENDING THREADS