Flat Screen Monitors with HL2

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly HL2
and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast and
have some ghosting and such.
Thanks!
Squat
24 answers Last reply
More about flat screen monitors
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote
    > Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    > Is so, do you like it and what do you use?

    Yes, I do. I use a VideoSeven 17" L17PS. I think it;s great.

    > I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast and
    > have some ghosting and such.

    I play HL and HL2 on it often, along with a few other games. 75Hz refresh
    rates with no problems whatsoever.
    --
    David
    davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    I <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote
    >
    > "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote
    > > Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    > > Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    >
    > Yes, I do. I use a VideoSeven 17" L17PS. I think it;s great.
    >
    > > I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast and
    > > have some ghosting and such.
    >
    > I play HL and HL2 on it often, along with a few other games.
    > 75Hz refresh rates with no problems whatsoever.

    Review of said monitor, which I totally agree with:

    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Videoseven_V7_L17PS__Review_5428704
    --
    David
    davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Squat wrote:
    > Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    > Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    > I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
    > screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly HL2
    > and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast and
    > have some ghosting and such.
    > Thanks!
    > Squat

    I don't use one personally, although I've been looking closely at the
    Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" TFT which is supposed to be one of the best
    TFTs out there.. refresh times are down to 8ms these days, although
    Ghosting isn't a problem, dead pixels are still commonly found on all
    different types of TFT screens (and a dead pixel isn't grounds for a
    warranty return). this is the one thing which puts me off.

    When you go to buy a TFT screen, make sure you get to see it in action
    out of the box before shelling out any cash.. this is about the only
    sure way to guarantee there's no dead pixels

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Using a 15" Dell LCD and prefer it to my old 17" CRT - and not just
    because of the desk real-estate.

    No question that the LCD is great for gaming.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:40:01 GMT, "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote:
    >Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    >Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    >I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
    >screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly HL2
    >and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast and
    >have some ghosting and such.
    >Thanks!
    >Squat
    >
    There's a bit of confusion about the term "flat screen" when referring
    to CRT (cathode ray tube) and LCD (liquid crystal display) monitors.
    A CRT monitor can have a flat screen; in fact they're advertised as
    such. But I suspect you're talking about LCD monitors, so I'll try to
    answer.

    I'm using a ViewSonic VG900b 19" LCD, but there is a bit of ghosting
    which I've grown accustom to and no longer notice. Otherwise the
    colours and detail are brilliant.

    I read somewhere that some of the newer LCDs refresh at 16ms and
    lower, and have no ghosting--you may want to check these out if you
    have a bulging wallet.

    Len
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Len" <hughg36@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:as5f01hae8dl1n7qn0818ko5nkjhv4rqt1@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:40:01 GMT, "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote:
    > >Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    > >Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    > >I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
    > >screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
    HL2
    > >and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
    and
    > >have some ghosting and such.
    > >Thanks!
    > >Squat
    > >
    > There's a bit of confusion about the term "flat screen" when referring
    > to CRT (cathode ray tube) and LCD (liquid crystal display) monitors.
    > A CRT monitor can have a flat screen; in fact they're advertised as
    > such. But I suspect you're talking about LCD monitors, so I'll try to
    > answer.
    >
    > I'm using a ViewSonic VG900b 19" LCD, but there is a bit of ghosting
    > which I've grown accustom to and no longer notice. Otherwise the
    > colours and detail are brilliant.
    >
    > I read somewhere that some of the newer LCDs refresh at 16ms and
    > lower, and have no ghosting--you may want to check these out if you
    > have a bulging wallet.
    >
    > Len

    Judging by the fact he's been using a 15" monitor, his wallet is unlikely to
    be bulging very much.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "David Firewater" <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:36pigiF51pf8mU1@individual.net...
    >I <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote
    >>
    >> "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote
    >> > Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    >> > Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    >>
    >> Yes, I do. I use a VideoSeven 17" L17PS. I think it;s great.
    >>
    >> > I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast and
    >> > have some ghosting and such.
    >>
    >> I play HL and HL2 on it often, along with a few other games.
    >> 75Hz refresh rates with no problems whatsoever.
    >
    > Review of said monitor, which I totally agree with:
    >
    > http://www.ciao.co.uk/Videoseven_V7_L17PS__Review_5428704

    You should use the lowest refresh you can with TFTs. They dont flicker so
    they look the same at 60hz as 75hz, but its much easier to attain 60fps than
    75fps to get proper Vsync in games

    > --
    > David
    > davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com
    >
    >
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
    news:36pjg8F52129lU1@individual.net...
    > Squat wrote:
    >> Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    >> Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    >> I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
    >> screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
    >> HL2
    >> and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
    >> and
    >> have some ghosting and such.
    >> Thanks!
    >> Squat
    >
    > I don't use one personally, although I've been looking closely at the
    > Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" TFT which is supposed to be one of the best
    > TFTs out there.. refresh times are down to 8ms these days, although
    > Ghosting isn't a problem, dead pixels are still commonly found on all
    > different types of TFT screens (and a dead pixel isn't grounds for a
    > warranty return). this is the one thing which puts me off.
    >
    > When you go to buy a TFT screen, make sure you get to see it in action out
    > of the box before shelling out any cash.. this is about the only sure way
    > to guarantee there's no dead pixels

    But what retailer, online or high street, is going to let you fish through
    boxes trying them out. the only way to guarantee you dont get them is buy
    second hand. A dead pixel is grounds for warranty return if its in the
    middle of the screen. different manufacturers have different policies, but
    if its going to be in an annoying place then you can return it. I had one on
    my old TFT in the bottom left and never noticed it, none on my current one

    >
    > --
    > Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Okilee Dokilee" <derekathomson@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:SXMNd.9418$8B3.7050@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    >
    > "Len" <hughg36@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:as5f01hae8dl1n7qn0818ko5nkjhv4rqt1@4ax.com...
    >> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:40:01 GMT, "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote:
    >> >Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    >> >Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    >> >I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
    >> >screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
    > HL2
    >> >and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
    > and
    >> >have some ghosting and such.
    >> >Thanks!
    >> >Squat
    >> >
    >> There's a bit of confusion about the term "flat screen" when referring
    >> to CRT (cathode ray tube) and LCD (liquid crystal display) monitors.
    >> A CRT monitor can have a flat screen; in fact they're advertised as
    >> such. But I suspect you're talking about LCD monitors, so I'll try to
    >> answer.
    >>
    >> I'm using a ViewSonic VG900b 19" LCD, but there is a bit of ghosting
    >> which I've grown accustom to and no longer notice. Otherwise the
    >> colours and detail are brilliant.
    >>
    >> I read somewhere that some of the newer LCDs refresh at 16ms and
    >> lower, and have no ghosting--you may want to check these out if you
    >> have a bulging wallet.
    >>
    >> Len
    >
    > Judging by the fact he's been using a 15" monitor, his wallet is unlikely
    > to
    > be bulging very much.


    even budget models have responses of 16/12 these days
    >
    >
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Iain Dingsdale wrote:
    > even budget models have responses of 16/12 these days
    >


    ...though they dont have the contrast. Dont 'just' be swayed by the sub
    16ms hype. I was (TFT noob) and bought one that has 14ms response (no
    ghosting at all) but no definition in the shaded areas of games and
    films - just black. OK for me - bought as part of a two-monitor setup
    and it is great for text. Still gaming on the CRT for now.

    --
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
    so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

    Bertrand Russell
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Thanks all for the responses.
    Yes, I am looking for a LCD flat screen. I need space on my desk like you
    would not believe. I have a laptop on my desk that is used for work. I
    haven't been eager to replace a monitor that seems to work just fine but I
    really am pressed for space.
    No, I am not just cheap although I can see why people though that. I expect
    to shell out $500 to $700 USD if I can find a nice one.

    I gather a sub 10ms response time and one with a high contrast ratio?
    Thanks
    Squat

    "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
    news:1107798822.13871.0@despina.uk.clara.net...
    > Iain Dingsdale wrote:
    > > even budget models have responses of 16/12 these days
    > >
    >
    >
    > ..though they dont have the contrast. Dont 'just' be swayed by the sub
    > 16ms hype. I was (TFT noob) and bought one that has 14ms response (no
    > ghosting at all) but no definition in the shaded areas of games and
    > films - just black. OK for me - bought as part of a two-monitor setup
    > and it is great for text. Still gaming on the CRT for now.
    >
    > --
    > "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
    > so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"
    >
    > Bertrand Russell
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote in message
    news:lZLNd.70$534.44@twister.nyc.rr.com...
    > Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    > Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    > I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
    > screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
    > HL2
    > and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
    > and
    > have some ghosting and such.
    > Thanks!
    > Squat

    Yep, am using the LG Flatron 1980U - great colour and contrast (I also play
    the thief series which gives a good indication of the monitors ability to
    handle dark areas), no ghosting, and the hardware itself looks great too!
    (thinnest 19" LCD available at the time of writing)
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote in message
    news:cEONd.2471$qn2.108849@twister.nyc.rr.com...
    > Thanks all for the responses.
    > Yes, I am looking for a LCD flat screen. I need space on my desk like you
    > would not believe. I have a laptop on my desk that is used for work. I
    > haven't been eager to replace a monitor that seems to work just fine but I
    > really am pressed for space.
    > No, I am not just cheap although I can see why people though that. I
    > expect
    > to shell out $500 to $700 USD if I can find a nice one.
    >
    > I gather a sub 10ms response time and one with a high contrast ratio?
    > Thanks
    > Squat
    >
    > "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
    > news:1107798822.13871.0@despina.uk.clara.net...
    >> Iain Dingsdale wrote:
    >> > even budget models have responses of 16/12 these days
    >> >
    >>
    >>
    >> ..though they dont have the contrast. Dont 'just' be swayed by the sub
    >> 16ms hype. I was (TFT noob) and bought one that has 14ms response (no
    >> ghosting at all) but no definition in the shaded areas of games and
    >> films - just black. OK for me - bought as part of a two-monitor setup
    >> and it is great for text. Still gaming on the CRT for now.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
    >> so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"
    >>
    >> Bertrand Russell
    >
    >

    Just a few thoughs about LCD TFTs, I also am looking at possibly getting one
    and having done a fair amount of research on various models, I have made up
    a list of criteria it must meet as follows

    1; 19 inch, My preference
    2: Response time, 16ms or less 8 or 12 would be better
    3: Contrast Ratio, 700 or higher
    4: Brightness, 250 cd/sqm 300 or 350 prefered
    5: Dual inputs, DVI and analog
    6: Viewing angle, 170/170 , 176/176 would be better
    7: Resolution, 1280/1024 seems standard native resolution for this size
    8, No dead pixels, to be determined before purchase
    9: 3 year warrany.

    I have found a few that meet these specs, but as you can guess they are
    pricey, apprx $1000.00 cdn.

    I am using at present a 19 inch Viewsonic G790 which is still excellent
    after nearly seven years use. I will not compromise and buy a cheap one to
    save money as my vision is quite poor, I need a good monitor.

    Just my Thoughts.
    --
    Regards, Rene Lamontagne


    5:
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote in message
    news:lZLNd.70$534.44@twister.nyc.rr.com...
    > Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    > Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    > I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
    > screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
    HL2
    > and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
    and
    > have some ghosting and such.
    > Thanks!
    > Squat
    >
    >


    I have a Dell 2100fp, and I love it. I just saw on Dell's site they were on
    sale for under 600 clams. I upgraded from a sony 21" trinitron flat tube
    crt ....the Dell blows my sony away in every aspect... my .02

    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=320-1578&c=us&l=en
    &cs=19&category_id=2999&page=external
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Rene Lamontagne wrote:

    > Just a few thoughs about LCD TFTs, I also am looking at possibly getting one
    > and having done a fair amount of research on various models, I have made up
    > a list of criteria it must meet as follows
    >
    > 1; 19 inch, My preference
    > 2: Response time, 16ms or less 8 or 12 would be better
    > 3: Contrast Ratio, 700 or higher
    > 4: Brightness, 250 cd/sqm 300 or 350 prefered
    > 5: Dual inputs, DVI and analog
    > 6: Viewing angle, 170/170 , 176/176 would be better
    > 7: Resolution, 1280/1024 seems standard native resolution for this size
    > 8, No dead pixels, to be determined before purchase
    > 9: 3 year warrany.
    >
    > I have found a few that meet these specs, but as you can guess they are
    > pricey, apprx $1000.00 cdn.

    Out of interest, which ones?


    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    news:GsPNd.315839$Xk.206259@pd7tw3no...
    >
    > "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote in message
    > news:cEONd.2471$qn2.108849@twister.nyc.rr.com...
    >> Thanks all for the responses.
    >> Yes, I am looking for a LCD flat screen. I need space on my desk like you
    >> would not believe. I have a laptop on my desk that is used for work. I
    >> haven't been eager to replace a monitor that seems to work just fine but
    >> I
    >> really am pressed for space.
    >> No, I am not just cheap although I can see why people though that. I
    >> expect
    >> to shell out $500 to $700 USD if I can find a nice one.
    >>
    >> I gather a sub 10ms response time and one with a high contrast ratio?
    >> Thanks
    >> Squat
    >>
    >> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
    >> news:1107798822.13871.0@despina.uk.clara.net...
    >>> Iain Dingsdale wrote:
    >>> > even budget models have responses of 16/12 these days
    >>> >
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> ..though they dont have the contrast. Dont 'just' be swayed by the sub
    >>> 16ms hype. I was (TFT noob) and bought one that has 14ms response (no
    >>> ghosting at all) but no definition in the shaded areas of games and
    >>> films - just black. OK for me - bought as part of a two-monitor setup
    >>> and it is great for text. Still gaming on the CRT for now.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
    >>> so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"
    >>>
    >>> Bertrand Russell
    >>
    >>
    >
    > Just a few thoughs about LCD TFTs, I also am looking at possibly getting
    > one and having done a fair amount of research on various models, I have
    > made up a list of criteria it must meet as follows
    >
    > 1; 19 inch, My preference
    > 2: Response time, 16ms or less 8 or 12 would be better
    > 3: Contrast Ratio, 700 or higher
    > 4: Brightness, 250 cd/sqm 300 or 350 prefered
    > 5: Dual inputs, DVI and analog
    > 6: Viewing angle, 170/170 , 176/176 would be better

    you wont notice the difference

    > 7: Resolution, 1280/1024 seems standard native resolution for this size
    > 8, No dead pixels, to be determined before purchase

    impossible to tell

    > 9: 3 year warrany.
    >
    > I have found a few that meet these specs, but as you can guess they are
    > pricey, apprx $1000.00 cdn.
    >
    > I am using at present a 19 inch Viewsonic G790 which is still excellent
    > after nearly seven years use. I will not compromise and buy a cheap one to
    > save money as my vision is quite poor, I need a good monitor.
    >
    > Just my Thoughts.
    > --
    > Regards, Rene Lamontagne
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > 5:
    >
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Iain Dingsdale wrote:
    > "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
    > news:36pjg8F52129lU1@individual.net...
    >
    >>Squat wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    >>>Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    >>>I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
    >>>screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
    >>>HL2
    >>>and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
    >>>and
    >>>have some ghosting and such.
    >>>Thanks!
    >>>Squat
    >>
    >>I don't use one personally, although I've been looking closely at the
    >>Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" TFT which is supposed to be one of the best
    >>TFTs out there.. refresh times are down to 8ms these days, although
    >>Ghosting isn't a problem, dead pixels are still commonly found on all
    >>different types of TFT screens (and a dead pixel isn't grounds for a
    >>warranty return). this is the one thing which puts me off.
    >>
    >>When you go to buy a TFT screen, make sure you get to see it in action out
    >>of the box before shelling out any cash.. this is about the only sure way
    >>to guarantee there's no dead pixels
    >
    >
    > But what retailer, online or high street, is going to let you fish through
    > boxes trying them out. the only way to guarantee you dont get them is buy
    > second hand. A dead pixel is grounds for warranty return if its in the
    > middle of the screen. different manufacturers have different policies, but
    > if its going to be in an annoying place then you can return it. I had one on
    > my old TFT in the bottom left and never noticed it, none on my current one

    I personally would want a replacement regardless of where the dead pixel
    was at :) Maybe the retailers aren't going to let you personally
    handle the monitor, but you can get them to demonstrate it to you, to
    ensure that what your getting works properly, and that whats inside the
    box meets what's written on the box.


    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
    news:36pjg8F52129lU1@individual.net
    > Squat wrote:
    >> Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    >> Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    >> I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20"
    >> flat screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games.
    >> (Mostly HL2 and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not
    >> refresh as fast and have some ghosting and such.
    >> Thanks!
    >> Squat
    >
    > I don't use one personally, although I've been looking closely at the
    > Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" TFT which is supposed to be one of the
    > best TFTs out there.. refresh times are down to 8ms these days,
    > although Ghosting isn't a problem, dead pixels are still commonly
    > found on all different types of TFT screens (and a dead pixel isn't
    > grounds for a warranty return). this is the one thing which puts me
    > off.
    > When you go to buy a TFT screen, make sure you get to see it in action
    > out of the box before shelling out any cash.. this is about the only
    > sure way to guarantee there's no dead pixels

    I guess I've been really lucky. I bought three over two years from
    Circuit City, opened them up at home, and happily found none of the
    three have any dead pixels. that's 2 different NEC 17" and one Envision
    19". One NEC went to my youngest daughter, the other I have in the
    living room. I don't use a CRT any more. I love these things! :)
    McG.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    That's why I love Directon (a local mail order house near my home)...
    I order something, pay $5.00 bucks for testing and Juan the tech will
    do it while you watch... Very handy when building a new PC... Order a
    MB, CPU and memory and he'll assemble them and crank it up before you
    leave the warehouse... Sure beats the heart-break os psoriasis...

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:07:07 +0000, Ben Cornball
    <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote:

    >Iain Dingsdale wrote:
    >> "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
    >> news:36pjg8F52129lU1@individual.net...
    >>
    >>>Squat wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    >>>>Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    >>>>I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
    >>>>screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
    >>>>HL2
    >>>>and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
    >>>>and
    >>>>have some ghosting and such.
    >>>>Thanks!
    >>>>Squat
    >>>
    >>>I don't use one personally, although I've been looking closely at the
    >>>Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" TFT which is supposed to be one of the best
    >>>TFTs out there.. refresh times are down to 8ms these days, although
    >>>Ghosting isn't a problem, dead pixels are still commonly found on all
    >>>different types of TFT screens (and a dead pixel isn't grounds for a
    >>>warranty return). this is the one thing which puts me off.
    >>>
    >>>When you go to buy a TFT screen, make sure you get to see it in action out
    >>>of the box before shelling out any cash.. this is about the only sure way
    >>>to guarantee there's no dead pixels
    >>
    >>
    >> But what retailer, online or high street, is going to let you fish through
    >> boxes trying them out. the only way to guarantee you dont get them is buy
    >> second hand. A dead pixel is grounds for warranty return if its in the
    >> middle of the screen. different manufacturers have different policies, but
    >> if its going to be in an annoying place then you can return it. I had one on
    >> my old TFT in the bottom left and never noticed it, none on my current one
    >
    >I personally would want a replacement regardless of where the dead pixel
    >was at :) Maybe the retailers aren't going to let you personally
    >handle the monitor, but you can get them to demonstrate it to you, to
    >ensure that what your getting works properly, and that whats inside the
    >box meets what's written on the box.



    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
    the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
    and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
    the other, body thoroughly used up,
    totally worn out,and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!"
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
    news:36q73bF52m7cqU1@individual.net...
    > Rene Lamontagne wrote:
    >
    >> Just a few thoughs about LCD TFTs, I also am looking at possibly getting
    >> one and having done a fair amount of research on various models, I have
    >> made up a list of criteria it must meet as follows
    >>
    >> 1; 19 inch, My preference
    >> 2: Response time, 16ms or less 8 or 12 would be better
    >> 3: Contrast Ratio, 700 or higher
    >> 4: Brightness, 250 cd/sqm 300 or 350 prefered
    >> 5: Dual inputs, DVI and analog
    >> 6: Viewing angle, 170/170 , 176/176 would be better
    >> 7: Resolution, 1280/1024 seems standard native resolution for this size
    >> 8, No dead pixels, to be determined before purchase
    >> 9: 3 year warrany.
    >>
    >> I have found a few that meet these specs, but as you can guess they are
    >> pricey, apprx $1000.00 cdn.
    >
    > Out of interest, which ones?
    >
    >
    > --

    Hi Ben, The Viewsonic Pro series VP 191B , Samsung 193P (maybe)
    A couple more but forgot model numbers will post as they come to mind, The
    VP191 is on my short list.


    --
    Regards, Rene Lamontagne


    > Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
    news:8n4g01hka9voahgpoj1pl7076klt01i267@4ax.com
    > That's why I love Directon (a local mail order house near my home)...
    > I order something, pay $5.00 bucks for testing and Juan the tech will
    > do it while you watch... Very handy when building a new PC... Order a
    > MB, CPU and memory and he'll assemble them and crank it up before you
    > leave the warehouse... Sure beats the heart-break os psoriasis...

    Hm. I get the same with Electronics Outlet, about 4 or 5 miles from me.
    Order new components, they LIKE to test them before I leave with em.
    But I just pay for the stuff. Not the $5. He's likely to be where my
    next vid card is coming from. I don't see any 6800GT's on the shelves
    anywhere. He can get it in 3 days. Yeah, he'll wanna see it work
    before I leave with it. I think he likes the 'toys' too :)
    McG.

    >
    snip
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Ben Cottrell wrote:

    > this is about the only sure way to guarantee
    > there's no dead pixels

    You can remove "about": that's the only way.
    --
    Vilco
    Think Pink , Drink Rose'
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Rene Lamontagne wrote:

    > Hi Ben, The Viewsonic Pro series VP 191B , Samsung 193P (maybe)
    > A couple more but forgot model numbers will post as they come to mind, The
    > VP191 is on my short list.

    Thanks Rene :-) I'll keep those in mind when I go LCD hunting in the
    near future.


    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote in message
    news:lZLNd.70$534.44@twister.nyc.rr.com...
    > Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
    > Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
    > I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
    > screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
    > HL2
    > and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
    > and
    > have some ghosting and such.
    > Thanks!
    > Squat
    >
    >

    Dell 2001FP, 16ms, 20.1" viewable, 1600x1200 native, and it runs Half-Life 2
    great, along with every other game I've played to date since I bought it a
    year or so ago. LCD's are truly gameworthy now. Best thing to do is to get
    one with a 1600x1200 native resoltion or higher since it will scale down to
    lower resolutions better due to the much smaller pixels. But if you can't
    afford the bigger monitor, then be sure to get a monitor that supports a
    native resolution that your PC can run games at, otherwise scaling it down
    may look terrible. And of course response time of 16ms or less is essential.

    I have an old 13" LCD that I use for portable gaming, but at times I get
    nauseous playing FPS's because the pixels smear too much and my brain
    translates that somehow into something that doesn't make me feel so good.
    But I usually play RTS games on the go anyways like C&C Generals, so it
    works fine for that. I think it has like a 40ms response time which equates
    to about 25fps before it starts to smear.
Ask a new question

Read More

Flat Screen Games Monitors Video Games