Flat Screen Monitors with HL2

Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly HL2
and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast and
have some ghosting and such.
Thanks!
Squat

"Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote
> Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
> Is so, do you like it and what do you use?

Yes, I do. I use a VideoSeven 17" L17PS. I think it;s great.

> I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast and
> have some ghosting and such.

I play HL and HL2 on it often, along with a few other games. 75Hz refresh
rates with no problems whatsoever.
--
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

I <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote

Review of said monitor, which I totally agree with:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Videoseven_V7_L17PS__Review_5428704
--

Squat wrote:
> Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
> Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
> I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
> screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly HL2
> and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast and
> have some ghosting and such.
> Thanks!
> Squat

I don't use one personally, although I've been looking closely at the
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" TFT which is supposed to be one of the best
TFTs out there.. refresh times are down to 8ms these days, although
Ghosting isn't a problem, dead pixels are still commonly found on all
different types of TFT screens (and a dead pixel isn't grounds for a
warranty return). this is the one thing which puts me off.

When you go to buy a TFT screen, make sure you get to see it in action
out of the box before shelling out any cash.. this is about the only
sure way to guarantee there's no dead pixels

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

Using a 15" Dell LCD and prefer it to my old 17" CRT - and not just
because of the desk real-estate.

No question that the LCD is great for gaming.

Len

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:40:01 GMT, "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote:
>Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
>Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
>I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
>screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly HL2
>and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast and
>have some ghosting and such.
>Thanks!
>Squat

There's a bit of confusion about the term "flat screen" when referring
to CRT (cathode ray tube) and LCD (liquid crystal display) monitors.
A CRT monitor can have a flat screen; in fact they're advertised as
such. But I suspect you're talking about LCD monitors, so I'll try to
answer.

I'm using a ViewSonic VG900b 19" LCD, but there is a bit of ghosting
which I've grown accustom to and no longer notice. Otherwise the
colours and detail are brilliant.

I read somewhere that some of the newer LCDs refresh at 16ms and
lower, and have no ghosting--you may want to check these out if you
have a bulging wallet.

Len

"Len" <hughg36@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:40:01 GMT, "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote:
> >Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
> >Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
> >I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
> >screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
HL2
> >and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
and
> >have some ghosting and such.
> >Thanks!
> >Squat
> >
> There's a bit of confusion about the term "flat screen" when referring
> to CRT (cathode ray tube) and LCD (liquid crystal display) monitors.
> A CRT monitor can have a flat screen; in fact they're advertised as
> such. But I suspect you're talking about LCD monitors, so I'll try to
> answer.
>
> I'm using a ViewSonic VG900b 19" LCD, but there is a bit of ghosting
> which I've grown accustom to and no longer notice. Otherwise the
> colours and detail are brilliant.
>
> I read somewhere that some of the newer LCDs refresh at 16ms and
> lower, and have no ghosting--you may want to check these out if you
> have a bulging wallet.
>
> Len

Judging by the fact he's been using a 15" monitor, his wallet is unlikely to
be bulging very much.

"David Firewater" <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote
>>
>> "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote
>> > Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
>> > Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
>>
>> Yes, I do. I use a VideoSeven 17" L17PS. I think it;s great.
>>
>> > I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast and
>> > have some ghosting and such.
>>
>> I play HL and HL2 on it often, along with a few other games.
>> 75Hz refresh rates with no problems whatsoever.
>
> Review of said monitor, which I totally agree with:
>
> http://www.ciao.co.uk/Videoseven_V7_L17PS__Review_5428704

You should use the lowest refresh you can with TFTs. They dont flicker so
they look the same at 60hz as 75hz, but its much easier to attain 60fps than
75fps to get proper Vsync in games

"Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
> Squat wrote:
>> Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
>> Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
>> I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
>> screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
>> HL2
>> and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
>> and
>> have some ghosting and such.
>> Thanks!
>> Squat
>
> I don't use one personally, although I've been looking closely at the
> Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" TFT which is supposed to be one of the best
> TFTs out there.. refresh times are down to 8ms these days, although
> Ghosting isn't a problem, dead pixels are still commonly found on all
> different types of TFT screens (and a dead pixel isn't grounds for a
> warranty return). this is the one thing which puts me off.
>
> When you go to buy a TFT screen, make sure you get to see it in action out
> of the box before shelling out any cash.. this is about the only sure way
> to guarantee there's no dead pixels

But what retailer, online or high street, is going to let you fish through
boxes trying them out. the only way to guarantee you dont get them is buy
second hand. A dead pixel is grounds for warranty return if its in the
middle of the screen. different manufacturers have different policies, but
if its going to be in an annoying place then you can return it. I had one on
my old TFT in the bottom left and never noticed it, none on my current one

"Okilee Dokilee" <derekathomson@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Len" <hughg36@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:40:01 GMT, "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote:
>> >Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
>> >Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
>> >I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
>> >screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
> HL2
>> >and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
> and
>> >have some ghosting and such.
>> >Thanks!
>> >Squat
>> >
>> There's a bit of confusion about the term "flat screen" when referring
>> to CRT (cathode ray tube) and LCD (liquid crystal display) monitors.
>> A CRT monitor can have a flat screen; in fact they're advertised as
>> such. But I suspect you're talking about LCD monitors, so I'll try to
>> answer.
>>
>> I'm using a ViewSonic VG900b 19" LCD, but there is a bit of ghosting
>> which I've grown accustom to and no longer notice. Otherwise the
>> colours and detail are brilliant.
>>
>> I read somewhere that some of the newer LCDs refresh at 16ms and
>> lower, and have no ghosting--you may want to check these out if you
>> have a bulging wallet.
>>
>> Len
>
> Judging by the fact he's been using a 15" monitor, his wallet is unlikely
> be bulging very much.

even budget models have responses of 16/12 these days

shawk

Iain Dingsdale wrote:
> even budget models have responses of 16/12 these days

...though they dont have the contrast. Dont 'just' be swayed by the sub
16ms hype. I was (TFT noob) and bought one that has 14ms response (no
ghosting at all) but no definition in the shaded areas of games and
films - just black. OK for me - bought as part of a two-monitor setup
and it is great for text. Still gaming on the CRT for now.

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

Bertrand Russell

Thanks all for the responses.
Yes, I am looking for a LCD flat screen. I need space on my desk like you
would not believe. I have a laptop on my desk that is used for work. I
haven't been eager to replace a monitor that seems to work just fine but I
really am pressed for space.
No, I am not just cheap although I can see why people though that. I expect
to shell out $500 to $700 USD if I can find a nice one.

I gather a sub 10ms response time and one with a high contrast ratio?
Thanks
Squat

"Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
> Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
> I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
> screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
> HL2
> and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
> and
> have some ghosting and such.
> Thanks!
> Squat

Yep, am using the LG Flatron 1980U - great colour and contrast (I also play
the thief series which gives a good indication of the monitors ability to
handle dark areas), no ghosting, and the hardware itself looks great too!
(thinnest 19" LCD available at the time of writing)

> Thanks all for the responses.
> Yes, I am looking for a LCD flat screen. I need space on my desk like you
> would not believe. I have a laptop on my desk that is used for work. I
> haven't been eager to replace a monitor that seems to work just fine but I
> really am pressed for space.
> No, I am not just cheap although I can see why people though that. I
> expect
> to shell out $500 to $700 USD if I can find a nice one.
>
> I gather a sub 10ms response time and one with a high contrast ratio?
> Thanks
> Squat
>
> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>> Iain Dingsdale wrote:
>> > even budget models have responses of 16/12 these days
>> >

>> ..though they dont have the contrast. Dont 'just' be swayed by the sub
>> 16ms hype. I was (TFT noob) and bought one that has 14ms response (no
>> ghosting at all) but no definition in the shaded areas of games and
>> films - just black. OK for me - bought as part of a two-monitor setup
>> and it is great for text. Still gaming on the CRT for now.
>>
>> --
>> "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
>> so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"
>>
>> Bertrand Russell

Just a few thoughs about LCD TFTs, I also am looking at possibly getting one
and having done a fair amount of research on various models, I have made up
a list of criteria it must meet as follows

1; 19 inch, My preference
2: Response time, 16ms or less 8 or 12 would be better
3: Contrast Ratio, 700 or higher
4: Brightness, 250 cd/sqm 300 or 350 prefered
5: Dual inputs, DVI and analog
6: Viewing angle, 170/170 , 176/176 would be better
7: Resolution, 1280/1024 seems standard native resolution for this size
8, No dead pixels, to be determined before purchase
9: 3 year warrany.

I have found a few that meet these specs, but as you can guess they are
pricey, apprx $1000.00 cdn.

I am using at present a 19 inch Viewsonic G790 which is still excellent
after nearly seven years use. I will not compromise and buy a cheap one to
save money as my vision is quite poor, I need a good monitor.

Just my Thoughts.
--
Regards, Rene Lamontagne

5:

"Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
> Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
> I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
> screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
HL2
> and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
and
> have some ghosting and such.
> Thanks!
> Squat

I have a Dell 2100fp, and I love it. I just saw on Dell's site they were on
sale for under 600 clams. I upgraded from a sony 21" trinitron flat tube
crt ....the Dell blows my sony away in every aspect... my .02

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=320-1578&c=us&l=en
&cs=19&category_id=2999&page=external

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> Just a few thoughs about LCD TFTs, I also am looking at possibly getting one
> and having done a fair amount of research on various models, I have made up
> a list of criteria it must meet as follows
>
> 1; 19 inch, My preference
> 2: Response time, 16ms or less 8 or 12 would be better
> 3: Contrast Ratio, 700 or higher
> 4: Brightness, 250 cd/sqm 300 or 350 prefered
> 5: Dual inputs, DVI and analog
> 6: Viewing angle, 170/170 , 176/176 would be better
> 7: Resolution, 1280/1024 seems standard native resolution for this size
> 8, No dead pixels, to be determined before purchase
> 9: 3 year warrany.
>
> I have found a few that meet these specs, but as you can guess they are
> pricey, apprx $1000.00 cdn.

Out of interest, which ones?

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

"Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> "Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks all for the responses.
>> Yes, I am looking for a LCD flat screen. I need space on my desk like you
>> would not believe. I have a laptop on my desk that is used for work. I
>> haven't been eager to replace a monitor that seems to work just fine but
>> really am pressed for space.
>> No, I am not just cheap although I can see why people though that. I
>> expect
>> to shell out $500 to $700 USD if I can find a nice one.
>>
>> I gather a sub 10ms response time and one with a high contrast ratio?
>> Thanks
>> Squat
>>
>> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>>> >

>>> ..though they dont have the contrast. Dont 'just' be swayed by the sub
>>> 16ms hype. I was (TFT noob) and bought one that has 14ms response (no
>>> ghosting at all) but no definition in the shaded areas of games and
>>> films - just black. OK for me - bought as part of a two-monitor setup
>>> and it is great for text. Still gaming on the CRT for now.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
>>> so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"
>>>
>>> Bertrand Russell
>>

> Just a few thoughs about LCD TFTs, I also am looking at possibly getting
> one and having done a fair amount of research on various models, I have
> made up a list of criteria it must meet as follows
>
> 1; 19 inch, My preference
> 2: Response time, 16ms or less 8 or 12 would be better
> 3: Contrast Ratio, 700 or higher
> 4: Brightness, 250 cd/sqm 300 or 350 prefered
> 5: Dual inputs, DVI and analog
> 6: Viewing angle, 170/170 , 176/176 would be better

you wont notice the difference

> 7: Resolution, 1280/1024 seems standard native resolution for this size
> 8, No dead pixels, to be determined before purchase

impossible to tell

Iain Dingsdale wrote:
> "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
>
>>Squat wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
>>>Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
>>>I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
>>>screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
>>>HL2
>>>and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
>>>and
>>>have some ghosting and such.
>>>Thanks!
>>>Squat
>>
>>I don't use one personally, although I've been looking closely at the
>>Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" TFT which is supposed to be one of the best
>>TFTs out there.. refresh times are down to 8ms these days, although
>>Ghosting isn't a problem, dead pixels are still commonly found on all
>>different types of TFT screens (and a dead pixel isn't grounds for a
>>warranty return). this is the one thing which puts me off.
>>
>>When you go to buy a TFT screen, make sure you get to see it in action out
>>of the box before shelling out any cash.. this is about the only sure way
>>to guarantee there's no dead pixels
>

> But what retailer, online or high street, is going to let you fish through
> boxes trying them out. the only way to guarantee you dont get them is buy
> second hand. A dead pixel is grounds for warranty return if its in the
> middle of the screen. different manufacturers have different policies, but
> if its going to be in an annoying place then you can return it. I had one on
> my old TFT in the bottom left and never noticed it, none on my current one

I personally would want a replacement regardless of where the dead pixel
was at :) Maybe the retailers aren't going to let you personally
handle the monitor, but you can get them to demonstrate it to you, to
ensure that what your getting works properly, and that whats inside the
box meets what's written on the box.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

"Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
> Squat wrote:
>> Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
>> Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
>> I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20"
>> flat screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games.
>> (Mostly HL2 and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not
>> refresh as fast and have some ghosting and such.
>> Thanks!
>> Squat
>
> I don't use one personally, although I've been looking closely at the
> Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" TFT which is supposed to be one of the
> best TFTs out there.. refresh times are down to 8ms these days,
> although Ghosting isn't a problem, dead pixels are still commonly
> found on all different types of TFT screens (and a dead pixel isn't
> grounds for a warranty return). this is the one thing which puts me
> off.
> When you go to buy a TFT screen, make sure you get to see it in action
> out of the box before shelling out any cash.. this is about the only
> sure way to guarantee there's no dead pixels

I guess I've been really lucky. I bought three over two years from
Circuit City, opened them up at home, and happily found none of the
three have any dead pixels. that's 2 different NEC 17" and one Envision
19". One NEC went to my youngest daughter, the other I have in the
living room. I don't use a CRT any more. I love these things! :)
McG.

That's why I love Directon (a local mail order house near my home)...
I order something, pay $5.00 bucks for testing and Juan the tech will
do it while you watch... Very handy when building a new PC... Order a
MB, CPU and memory and he'll assemble them and crank it up before you
leave the warehouse... Sure beats the heart-break os psoriasis...

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:07:07 +0000, Ben Cornball
<bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote:

>Iain Dingsdale wrote:
>> "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message

>>>I don't use one personally, although I've been looking closely at the
>>>Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" TFT which is supposed to be one of the best
>>>TFTs out there.. refresh times are down to 8ms these days, although
>>>Ghosting isn't a problem, dead pixels are still commonly found on all
>>>different types of TFT screens (and a dead pixel isn't grounds for a
>>>warranty return). this is the one thing which puts me off.
>>>
>>>When you go to buy a TFT screen, make sure you get to see it in action out
>>>of the box before shelling out any cash.. this is about the only sure way
>>>to guarantee there's no dead pixels
>>

>> But what retailer, online or high street, is going to let you fish through
>> boxes trying them out. the only way to guarantee you dont get them is buy
>> second hand. A dead pixel is grounds for warranty return if its in the
>> middle of the screen. different manufacturers have different policies, but
>> if its going to be in an annoying place then you can return it. I had one on
>> my old TFT in the bottom left and never noticed it, none on my current one
>
>I personally would want a replacement regardless of where the dead pixel
>was at :) Maybe the retailers aren't going to let you personally
>handle the monitor, but you can get them to demonstrate it to you, to
>ensure that what your getting works properly, and that whats inside the
>box meets what's written on the box.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>
>> Just a few thoughs about LCD TFTs, I also am looking at possibly getting
>> one and having done a fair amount of research on various models, I have
>> made up a list of criteria it must meet as follows
>>
>> 1; 19 inch, My preference
>> 2: Response time, 16ms or less 8 or 12 would be better
>> 3: Contrast Ratio, 700 or higher
>> 4: Brightness, 250 cd/sqm 300 or 350 prefered
>> 5: Dual inputs, DVI and analog
>> 6: Viewing angle, 170/170 , 176/176 would be better
>> 7: Resolution, 1280/1024 seems standard native resolution for this size
>> 8, No dead pixels, to be determined before purchase
>> 9: 3 year warrany.
>>
>> I have found a few that meet these specs, but as you can guess they are
>> pricey, apprx $1000.00 cdn.
>
> Out of interest, which ones?
>

> --

Hi Ben, The Viewsonic Pro series VP 191B , Samsung 193P (maybe)
A couple more but forgot model numbers will post as they come to mind, The
VP191 is on my short list.

--
Regards, Rene Lamontagne

"Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
> That's why I love Directon (a local mail order house near my home)...
> I order something, pay $5.00 bucks for testing and Juan the tech will
> do it while you watch... Very handy when building a new PC... Order a
> MB, CPU and memory and he'll assemble them and crank it up before you
> leave the warehouse... Sure beats the heart-break os psoriasis...

Hm. I get the same with Electronics Outlet, about 4 or 5 miles from me.
Order new components, they LIKE to test them before I leave with em.
But I just pay for the stuff. Not the $5. He's likely to be where my
next vid card is coming from. I don't see any 6800GT's on the shelves
anywhere. He can get it in 3 days. Yeah, he'll wanna see it work
before I leave with it. I think he likes the 'toys' too :)
McG.

snip

Ben Cottrell wrote:

> this is about the only sure way to guarantee
> there's no dead pixels

You can remove "about": that's the only way.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> Hi Ben, The Viewsonic Pro series VP 191B , Samsung 193P (maybe)
> A couple more but forgot model numbers will post as they come to mind, The
> VP191 is on my short list.

Thanks Rene :) I'll keep those in mind when I go LCD hunting in the
near future.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

"Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone here use a flat screen monitor?
> Is so, do you like it and what do you use?
> I am contemplating changing my old 15" Monitor to a new 19" or 20" flat
> screen but I am not sure how these will handle the newer games. (Mostly
> HL2
> and CS-Source) I inderstand the new flat screens do not refresh as fast
> and
> have some ghosting and such.
> Thanks!
> Squat

Dell 2001FP, 16ms, 20.1" viewable, 1600x1200 native, and it runs Half-Life 2
great, along with every other game I've played to date since I bought it a
year or so ago. LCD's are truly gameworthy now. Best thing to do is to get
one with a 1600x1200 native resoltion or higher since it will scale down to
lower resolutions better due to the much smaller pixels. But if you can't
afford the bigger monitor, then be sure to get a monitor that supports a
native resolution that your PC can run games at, otherwise scaling it down
may look terrible. And of course response time of 16ms or less is essential.

I have an old 13" LCD that I use for portable gaming, but at times I get
nauseous playing FPS's because the pixels smear too much and my brain
translates that somehow into something that doesn't make me feel so good.
But I usually play RTS games on the go anyways like C&C Generals, so it
works fine for that. I think it has like a 40ms response time which equates
to about 25fps before it starts to smear.