Can't access application license when not Administrator

Jewels

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004

I have a piece of software that requires a license to run. The license is
installed. When I'm logged in as Administrator, I can start up the
application fine. However, when I'm logged in as a "User," with limited
access, I get an error message regarding the license. Is there some setting
that I can change in the security policy to get this application to run for
normal users? There was no option when I installed the software asking if it
was for all users or not. I suspect this has to do with the license being
located within the system files, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
jewels

Jewels

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004

Update:

I have a feeling that the problem I discussed in my first post has something
to do with the XP security settings. When I'm logged in as an Administrator,
the application runs fine. Similarly, when I log in as a Power User, the
application runs fine. Only when I'm logged in as a regular User do I
encounter the error. A key difference between Power Users and regular Users
is that Power Users can run so-called "legacy" applications. Legacy
applications appear to be applications that are not "Certified for Windows
Programs." Translation: I'm thinking that if the software that I'm trying
to run was rubber stamped by Microsoft, then it would run without trouble
when logged in as a regular User. I went to Microsoft's page on Certified
for Windows Programs (shown below):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/partners/isvs/cfw.mspx

There I found that applications must be tested by VeriTest in order to
obtain Windows certification. As I'm sure Agilent (the software developer)
would be opposed to such scrutiny, I'm hoping someone here can provide me
some way around this problem. I do not wish to give Power User authority to
my users just so they can run this program. Giving them Power User authority
puts my security settings at risk.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
jewels

"jewels" wrote:

> I have a piece of software that requires a license to run. The license is
> installed. When I'm logged in as Administrator, I can start up the
> application fine. However, when I'm logged in as a "User," with limited
> access, I get an error message regarding the license. Is there some setting
> that I can change in the security policy to get this application to run for
> normal users? There was no option when I installed the software asking if it
> was for all users or not. I suspect this has to do with the license being
> located within the system files, but I'm not sure.
>
> Thanks,
> jewels

I would use filemon and regmon from sysinternals to find out what files
and registry keys the program tries to access. I would then acl the
files and keys appropriately