Can't access application license when not Administrator

I have a piece of software that requires a license to run. The license is
installed. When I'm logged in as Administrator, I can start up the
application fine. However, when I'm logged in as a "User," with limited
access, I get an error message regarding the license. Is there some setting
that I can change in the security policy to get this application to run for
normal users? There was no option when I installed the software asking if it
was for all users or not. I suspect this has to do with the license being
located within the system files, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
jewels
2 answers Last reply
More about access application license administrator

    Update:

    I have a feeling that the problem I discussed in my first post has something
    to do with the XP security settings. When I'm logged in as an Administrator,
    the application runs fine. Similarly, when I log in as a Power User, the
    application runs fine. Only when I'm logged in as a regular User do I
    encounter the error. A key difference between Power Users and regular Users
    is that Power Users can run so-called "legacy" applications. Legacy
    applications appear to be applications that are not "Certified for Windows
    Programs." Translation: I'm thinking that if the software that I'm trying
    to run was rubber stamped by Microsoft, then it would run without trouble
    when logged in as a regular User. I went to Microsoft's page on Certified
    for Windows Programs (shown below):

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/partners/isvs/cfw.mspx

    There I found that applications must be tested by VeriTest in order to
    obtain Windows certification. As I'm sure Agilent (the software developer)
    would be opposed to such scrutiny, I'm hoping someone here can provide me
    some way around this problem. I do not wish to give Power User authority to
    my users just so they can run this program. Giving them Power User authority
    puts my security settings at risk.

    Thoughts anyone?

    Thanks,
    jewels

    "jewels" wrote:

    > I have a piece of software that requires a license to run. The license is
    > installed. When I'm logged in as Administrator, I can start up the
    > application fine. However, when I'm logged in as a "User," with limited
    > access, I get an error message regarding the license. Is there some setting
    > that I can change in the security policy to get this application to run for
    > normal users? There was no option when I installed the software asking if it
    > was for all users or not. I suspect this has to do with the license being
    > located within the system files, but I'm not sure.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > jewels

    I would use filemon and regmon from sysinternals to find out what files
    and registry keys the program tries to access. I would then acl the
    files and keys appropriately

Security License Software Windows XP