MY DAD WONT LET ME UPGRADE

Status
Not open for further replies.

keemo

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
My dad gave me a choice between a dual core i7 4gb ram laptop or a older quad core i7 6gb 512mb vga pc

since im a hardware hungry person that likes to upgrade the hardware often (all pocket money goes to the cause) i chose the pc but there was a catch i didnt notice my dad has all his work and programs on the pc and he has vista and xp preinstalled all which i cant remove and he will be able to use the pc at anytime,
that didnt bother me much since i was allowed to install win-7
but now I want to upgrade my win-7 copy to
win-8 but he told me no because he has some programs installed on win-7 and he was afraid it would damage the boot sequence, I told that upgrading from windows 7 to 8 doesnt effect pograms and files and only changes the boot screen look, and I bought the win-8 dvd already and running it from a vvox.
but he still holding firm on his choice,
Any body have ideas to make rethink his choice?

Solution
to the op if you want your own system and play with windows 8 time to wipe out the old coffee can and start tossing in your extra change. myself i save up for a haswel beast next april.

do this:
get a external hot swap bay for your dads old drive
get a external hot swap bay for your drive
get yourself a nice 2.5 inch SSD

- for your dad, plug in his drive into the external bay and boot
he is golden all will work as expected.

- when you want to use the machine, shutdown is OS, pop out his drive
pop in your nice SSD into your drive bay and boot your OS.

- your dad can even use your bay and a second drives to do backups with.

win win

here is a bay I have in my old machine
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990011
It is for laptop size drives and SSDs. You will have to find one that would work for your dads drive

keemo

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

cant afford a new drive :(
and he cares more about the boot sequence then the files (everything backed up)

-Well you could install the OS on a USB 3.0 thumb drive and boot the machine from the thumb drive. you could do it with a USB 2.0 drive but it would be pretty slow. At least a good 3.0 thumb drive in a 3.0 USB port has a good chance to play some games.
it would also require a USB 3.0 host card for the machine.

- guess you could start hype-v on the machine and run you OS in that. Not too good for games though. but you could learn the OS and you will learn a lot about the MS hypervisor getting things to work correctly.

good luck

keemo

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

there is no usb 3.0 port and i need the speed

Well, looks like you rejected most of the cheaper methods of isolating your OS from his. That really only leaves the standard political methods.
You can go the high road: and look for something that your dad needs or wants, maybe the good deal for the upgrade ($39 + promo code= $14.95 for the Window8 right now, limited time)
Or you could go the low road: Beg, bribe, and Sabotage come to mind

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Young geek in training, keep this in mind. When a new OS comes out, you should wait a while before installing to allow time for drivers/apps/etc to catch up. There is no compelling need for anyone to immediately move to Win 8 right now. Many, more seasoned geeks, wait until the first Service Pack (for Windows OSes) to come out before making such moves.

BTW, listen to your Dad it will save you much grief in the future.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.