Spyware File Found in Windows Directory?

Hi everyone. When my Norton Internet Security 2005 runs a disk drive scan it
locates a file it identified as Spyware in the Windows Directory. The file
name is symentra.exe. I've currently blocked access to the Internet for this
file but when it tries to access it just keeps trying relentlessly. Does
anyone know if I need this file or is there a way to delete it? Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony
7 answers Last reply
More about spyware file found windows directory

    I'm sorry the correct spelling is symcntra.exe. The file is located
    C:\windows\system32\symcntra.exe

    From: "AnthonyP" <pacheco_anthony@hotmail.com(donotspam)>

    | Hi everyone. When my Norton Internet Security 2005 runs a disk drive scan it
    | locates a file it identified as Spyware in the Windows Directory. The file
    | name is symentra.exe. I've currently blocked access to the Internet for this
    | file but when it tries to access it just keeps trying relentlessly. Does
    | anyone know if I need this file or is there a way to delete it? Any help
    | would be appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Anthony

    It is your PC and you have access to it, not us. You tell use where it is.

    Do a search for it and specifically indicate the serach function to find Hidden and System
    files.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Using Google it would appear to http://www.symentra.com does that ring any
    bells?

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "AnthonyP" <pacheco_anthony@hotmail.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone. When my Norton Internet Security 2005 runs a disk drive scan
    > it
    > locates a file it identified as Spyware in the Windows Directory. The
    > file
    > name is symentra.exe. I've currently blocked access to the Internet for
    > this
    > file but when it tries to access it just keeps trying relentlessly. Does
    > anyone know if I need this file or is there a way to delete it? Any help
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Anthony

    I did see the website but it doesn't ring any bells? The file is located
    C:\windows\system32\symentra.exe ~ the file was created 6/14/05 and is 244kb.

    AnthonyP wrote:
    > I'm sorry the correct spelling is symcntra.exe. The file is located
    > C:\windows\system32\symcntra.exe

    Safe Mode - Rename it.
    If it causes no ill effects with applications you use (my guess is that it
    will not) then you delete it.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thanks alot. I'm sorry to have to ask, but what keys do I hold down to get
    the menu for safe mode?

    donotspam wrote:

    > Thanks alot. I'm sorry to have to ask, but what keys do I hold down
    > to get the menu for safe mode?
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >
    >> AnthonyP wrote:
    >> > I'm sorry the correct spelling is symcntra.exe. The file is
    >> > located C:\windows\system32\symcntra.exe
    >>
    >> Safe Mode - Rename it.
    >> If it causes no ill effects with applications you use (my guess is
    >> that it will not) then you delete it.

    To get into Safe Mode, repeatedly tap the F8 key as the computer is
    starting up. This will get you to the menu you need. It would also be
    wise for you to scan your computer for non-viral malware, and you
    should do this while in Safe Mode. Here is a link with more detailed
    malware-removal steps:

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers