Spyware File Found in Windows Directory?

July 8, 2005 7:29:01 AM

Hi everyone. When my Norton Internet Security 2005 runs a disk drive scan it
locates a file it identified as Spyware in the Windows Directory. The file
name is symentra.exe. I've currently blocked access to the Internet for this
file but when it tries to access it just keeps trying relentlessly. Does
anyone know if I need this file or is there a way to delete it? Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 10:32:05 AM

I'm sorry the correct spelling is symcntra.exe. The file is located
C:\windows\system32\symcntra.exe

"AnthonyP" wrote:

> Hi everyone. When my Norton Internet Security 2005 runs a disk drive scan it
> locates a file it identified as Spyware in the Windows Directory. The file
> name is symentra.exe. I've currently blocked access to the Internet for this
> file but when it tries to access it just keeps trying relentlessly. Does
> anyone know if I need this file or is there a way to delete it? Any help
> would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 12:01:45 PM

From: "AnthonyP" <pacheco_anthony@hotmail.com(donotspam)>

| Hi everyone. When my Norton Internet Security 2005 runs a disk drive scan it
| locates a file it identified as Spyware in the Windows Directory. The file
| name is symentra.exe. I've currently blocked access to the Internet for this
| file but when it tries to access it just keeps trying relentlessly. Does
| anyone know if I need this file or is there a way to delete it? Any help
| would be appreciated.
|
| Thanks,
| Anthony

It is your PC and you have access to it, not us. You tell use where it is.

Do a search for it and specifically indicate the serach function to find Hidden and System
files.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Using Google it would appear to http://www.symentra.com does that ring any
bells?

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"AnthonyP" <pacheco_anthony@hotmail.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. When my Norton Internet Security 2005 runs a disk drive scan
> it
> locates a file it identified as Spyware in the Windows Directory. The
> file
> name is symentra.exe. I've currently blocked access to the Internet for
> this
> file but when it tries to access it just keeps trying relentlessly. Does
> anyone know if I need this file or is there a way to delete it? Any help
> would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 12:13:36 PM

I did see the website but it doesn't ring any bells? The file is located
C:\windows\system32\symentra.exe ~ the file was created 6/14/05 and is 244kb.

"Peter" wrote:

> Using Google it would appear to http://www.symentra.com does that ring any
> bells?
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb HD
> "AnthonyP" <pacheco_anthony@hotmail.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone. When my Norton Internet Security 2005 runs a disk drive scan
> > it
> > locates a file it identified as Spyware in the Windows Directory. The
> > file
> > name is symentra.exe. I've currently blocked access to the Internet for
> > this
> > file but when it tries to access it just keeps trying relentlessly. Does
> > anyone know if I need this file or is there a way to delete it? Any help
> > would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Anthony

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 12:38:37 PM

AnthonyP wrote:
> I'm sorry the correct spelling is symcntra.exe. The file is located
> C:\windows\system32\symcntra.exe

Safe Mode - Rename it.
If it causes no ill effects with applications you use (my guess is that it
will not) then you delete it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Thanks alot. I'm sorry to have to ask, but what keys do I hold down to get
the menu for safe mode?

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> AnthonyP wrote:
> > I'm sorry the correct spelling is symcntra.exe. The file is located
> > C:\windows\system32\symcntra.exe
>
> Safe Mode - Rename it.
> If it causes no ill effects with applications you use (my guess is that it
> will not) then you delete it.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 8, 2005 12:38:39 PM

donotspam wrote:

> Thanks alot. I'm sorry to have to ask, but what keys do I hold down
> to get the menu for safe mode?
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> AnthonyP wrote:
>> > I'm sorry the correct spelling is symcntra.exe. The file is
>> > located C:\windows\system32\symcntra.exe
>>
>> Safe Mode - Rename it.
>> If it causes no ill effects with applications you use (my guess is
>> that it will not) then you delete it.

To get into Safe Mode, repeatedly tap the F8 key as the computer is
starting up. This will get you to the menu you need. It would also be
wise for you to scan your computer for non-viral malware, and you
should do this while in Safe Mode. Here is a link with more detailed
malware-removal steps:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

Malke
--