S-Video connector on Radion 9600 ?

Hi All,

My first post here to go easy on me please ;-)

I have recently upgraded my machine (2600+) and at the same time have
gone for a decent (well, 'value for money') video card with the Radion
9600 Atlantis (256).

All is working well (I'm not a big game player but those I've tried so
far are fine) and I have even (with help gleaned from reading previous
answers to this list) have full screen video (no sound) running on my
TV (via my video) ;-)

But, I'm not sure what I have to get / do to get video and sound as
the S-video connector (that comes with a S-Video > composite adaptor)
is 'weird' and probably unique to ATI?

Looking at the diagram on the .pdf manual it suggests the 7 pin
S-Video connector shares the same pins as the 4 pin variety and
therefore you can just use a std cable (only the outer 4 pins being
'needed') but on this card the pinout is completely different?

Could someone advise as to exactly what I need if I wanted to
interface my PC to my video (and then old Sony UHF only TV) via the
front RCA Composite + audio L&R connectors or (if it makes life
easier) the SCART connector(s) please?

I did pick up a link from this list to an ATI preferred accessories
supplier but it was in the States (I think) and I'm in the UK (no real
issues just P&P adds to the bill).

All the best and thanks for your time ..

T i m

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 08:08:55 GMT, T i m <news@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>My first post here to go easy on me please ;-)
>
>I have recently upgraded my machine (2600+) and at the same time have
>gone for a decent (well, 'value for money') video card with the Radion
>9600 Atlantis (256).

Ooops .. RadEon .. ;-(

I can't spell .. I'm an engineer ;-)

T i m

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 08:08:55 GMT, T i m <news@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>My first post here to go easy on me please ;-)
>
>I have recently upgraded my machine (2600+) and at the same time have
>gone for a decent (well, 'value for money') video card with the Radion
>9600 Atlantis (256).
>
>All is working well (I'm not a big game player but those I've tried so
>far are fine) and I have even (with help gleaned from reading previous
>answers to this list) have full screen video (no sound) running on my
>TV (via my video) ;-)
>
>But, I'm not sure what I have to get / do to get video and sound as
>the S-video connector (that comes with a S-Video > composite adaptor)
>is 'weird' and probably unique to ATI?
>
>Looking at the diagram on the .pdf manual it suggests the 7 pin
>S-Video connector shares the same pins as the 4 pin variety and
>therefore you can just use a std cable (only the outer 4 pins being
>'needed') but on this card the pinout is completely different?
>
>Could someone advise as to exactly what I need if I wanted to
>interface my PC to my video (and then old Sony UHF only TV) via the
>front RCA Composite + audio L&R connectors or (if it makes life
>easier) the SCART connector(s) please?
>
>I did pick up a link from this list to an ATI preferred accessories
>supplier but it was in the States (I think) and I'm in the UK (no real
>issues just P&P adds to the bill).
>
>All the best and thanks for your time ..
>
>T i m

Unless it's an AIW, it doesn't have any sort of sound out
capabilities, Tim. Just take the sound out from your audio card.

Patrick

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"T i m" <news@spaced.me.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> My first post here to go easy on me please ;-)
>
> I have recently upgraded my machine (2600+) and at the same time have
> gone for a decent (well, 'value for money') video card with the Radion
> 9600 Atlantis (256).
>
> All is working well (I'm not a big game player but those I've tried so
> far are fine) and I have even (with help gleaned from reading previous
> answers to this list) have full screen video (no sound) running on my
> TV (via my video) ;-)
>
> But, I'm not sure what I have to get / do to get video and sound as
> the S-video connector (that comes with a S-Video > composite adaptor)
> is 'weird' and probably unique to ATI?
>
> Looking at the diagram on the .pdf manual it suggests the 7 pin
> S-Video connector shares the same pins as the 4 pin variety and
> therefore you can just use a std cable (only the outer 4 pins being
> 'needed') but on this card the pinout is completely different?
>
> Could someone advise as to exactly what I need if I wanted to
> interface my PC to my video (and then old Sony UHF only TV) via the
> front RCA Composite + audio L&R connectors or (if it makes life
> easier) the SCART connector(s) please?
>
> I did pick up a link from this list to an ATI preferred accessories
> supplier but it was in the States (I think) and I'm in the UK (no real
> issues just P&P adds to the bill).
>
> All the best and thanks for your time ..
>
> T i m

you need a lead like this
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=28102&TabID=1&source=14&doy=16m4
from Maplin. connect the yellow cable to your composite/svhs cable and the 2
sound leads need this adaptor
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1218&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=16m4
so they can plug into your sound card. Ive used this setup to watch films
from my PC through the telly and
it works great.

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:24:30 GMT, patrickp
<<patrickp@acoustibop5.co.uk> - take 5 to email me...> wrote:

>Unless it's an AIW, it doesn't have any sort of sound out
>capabilities, Tim. Just take the sound out from your audio card.

Ah, I don't think it's an AIW (All In Wonder?) so these mysterious
'extra' pins on the S-Video connector do nothing, or nothing to
include audio I mean? There must be a point to there being an S-Videio
(mini DIN) socket there (or they could have fitted a cheaper RCA
connector?) but maybe for the function of connecting to my composite
video connector on my video recorder it offers no advantages?

We need to buy a new video recorder anyway (*might* go DVDR?) , so if
the new one comes with S-Video input I could then make use of the
'feature' and hence better video quality?

All the best Patrick and thanks for your time .. ;-)

T i m

p.s. I did email sales at svideo.com and they prompty replied telling
me that I have an OEM card (but they may still be able to supply a
cable). Looking at the box again it tells me I have a "Sapphire Radeon
9600 Atlantis, Graphics *by* ATI".

Maybe this is showing my lack of experience in the 'better' graphics
card field as I saw 'ATI' and 'Radeon' and thought I was buying a
mainstream product?

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:46:46 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>> Could someone advise as to exactly what I need if I wanted to
>> interface my PC to my video (and then old Sony UHF only TV) via the
>> front RCA Composite + audio L&R connectors or (if it makes life
>> easier) the SCART connector(s) please?

>you need a lead like this
>http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=28102&TabID=1&source=14&doy=16m4
>from Maplin. connect the yellow cable to your composite/svhs cable and the 2
>sound leads need this adaptor
>http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1218&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=16m4
>so they can plug into your sound card. Ive used this setup to watch films
>from my PC through the telly and
>it works great.

Hi Sleepy and thanks for that ;-)

Looking at the Maplin links (thanks for those), I have a SCART to 3
RCA (but 3m would mean it could all stay plumbed in) and my daughter
uses the twin phono to stereo 3.5mm jack adaptor to connect her mp3
player to the aux in on ther bass guitar amp (so I can 'borrow' that
for a test)

Ok, so I understand the connectors now but this would mean I would
have to unplug my speakers every time I wanted to send sound in that
direction wouldn't it? (I actually made a 'remote access' box years
ago that put my speaker out and mic in connectors up on the desk. It
also has a two way switch with volume controls to feed speakers or
headphones).

I am currently using the AC97 though a Via 3059 onboard chip and I
believe I only have mic in, line in and audio out. I think I used to
have a sound card that also had 'line out' where the signal level
didn't change no matter what you did with the mixer?

Are there any value for money sound cards out there that provide a
line out (as well as 'speaker out') do you know please?

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 06:33:33 GMT, T i m <news@spaced.me.uk> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:24:30 GMT, patrickp
><<patrickp@acoustibop5.co.uk> - take 5 to email me...> wrote:
>

>>Unless it's an AIW, it doesn't have any sort of sound out
>>capabilities, Tim. Just take the sound out from your audio card.
>
>Ah, I don't think it's an AIW (All In Wonder?) so these mysterious
>'extra' pins on the S-Video connector do nothing, or nothing to
>include audio I mean? There must be a point to there being an S-Videio
>(mini DIN) socket there (or they could have fitted a cheaper RCA
>connector?) but maybe for the function of connecting to my composite
>video connector on my video recorder it offers no advantages?

I guess it's for economic and space reasons, Tim: AFAIK you can put a
composite video signal through an S-Video connector, but not an
S-Video signal through an RCA connector. So, to do both, you put an
S-Video connector on the card.

>We need to buy a new video recorder anyway (*might* go DVDR?) , so if
>the new one comes with S-Video input I could then make use of the
>'feature' and hence better video quality?
>
>All the best Patrick and thanks for your time .. ;-)
>
>T i m
>
>p.s. I did email sales at svideo.com and they prompty replied telling
>me that I have an OEM card (but they may still be able to supply a
>cable). Looking at the box again it tells me I have a "Sapphire Radeon
>9600 Atlantis, Graphics *by* ATI".
>
>Maybe this is showing my lack of experience in the 'better' graphics
>card field as I saw 'ATI' and 'Radeon' and thought I was buying a
>mainstream product?

ATI now licence a number of OEMs to produce their own versions of ATI
cards; these are known as 'Powered by ATI' cards, as against 'Built by
ATI,' which are their own. ATI's own cards are no longer distributed
in the UK, or anywhere but the US and Canada, for that matter - the
OEMSs have everywhere else.

Having said that, Sapphire are generally considered one of the best