Access Denied on Remote Computer

MarkM

I am running a small network of 10-15 computers all running W2K, XP home or
XP Pro. We have one computer we use as a file share (W2K) and no servers and
this seems to work well for us at the present time. As the administrator I'd
like to be able to run scripts that will give me status on processes running
on the remote computers. In particular, we are using Microsoft Backup to do
our daily incremental backups for our one shared application. If a user
remains logged into the app during the night the backup won't recover the
open files. I'd like to be abble to run a script that will ensure that all
client processes on all connected computers are terminated prior to running
the backup. However I am not able to figure out how to set the remote
computers up so that I can monitor the processes from the admin terminal. I
keep getting access denied messages. Most information available in the MS
knowledge base is related to remotely administering servers, or requiring a
server that can run licensed terminal services. Does anybody have any ideas
or advice or can point me in the right direction for information? Thank you
in advance.

Mark
mmathewson@teachspin.com

Try this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2netwk.mspx#EHAA

RPC Interface Restriction
What does RPC Interface Restriction do?
A number of changes have been made in the Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
service for Windows XP Service Pack 2 that help make RPC interfaces secure by
default and reduce the attack surface of Windows XP. The most significant
change is the addition of the RestrictRemoteClients registry key. This key
modifies the behavior of all RPC interfaces on the system and will, by
default, eliminate remote anonymous access to RPC interfaces on the system,
with some exceptions. Additional changes include the EnableAuthEpResolution
registry key and three new interface registration flags.