Windows' blue screens have missing texts...

Hello.

When I get blue screens in Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates), I
get no texts on my screen with the errors and memory dump status (have
to watch my HDD light). Is this normal? I never had this problem with
other video cards like NVIDIA GeForce series. I am using ATI Radeon 9800
Pro AIW with the latest Catalyst driver.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Ladies and Gentlemen, hoboes and tramps...Crosseyed Mosquitoes and bow-legged ants...I've come to tell you the story..." --unknown
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> Hello.
>
> When I get blue screens in Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates), I
> get no texts on my screen with the errors and memory dump status (have
> to watch my HDD light). Is this normal? I never had this problem with
> other video cards like NVIDIA GeForce series. I am using ATI Radeon 9800
> Pro AIW with the latest Catalyst driver.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

I don't recall seeing blue screens in XP, perhaps you should sort out
your drivers / hardware.

I don't think the lack of text is video card related.

Ben

> > Hello.
> >
> > When I get blue screens in Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates), I
> > get no texts on my screen with the errors and memory dump status (have
> > to watch my HDD light). Is this normal? I never had this problem with
> > other video cards like NVIDIA GeForce series. I am using ATI Radeon 9800
> > Pro AIW with the latest Catalyst driver.
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)

> I don't recall seeing blue screens in XP, perhaps you should sort out
> your drivers / hardware.

> I don't think the lack of text is video card related.

Hmm. RobM seems to have/had this problem as well according to:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33746117 ... :(

If it is an isolated issue, then how do I fix it?
--

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> Hello.

> When I get blue screens in Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates), I
> get no texts on my screen with the errors and memory dump status (have
> to watch my HDD light). Is this normal? I never had this problem with
> other video cards like NVIDIA GeForce series. I am using ATI Radeon 9800
> Pro AIW with the latest Catalyst driver.

> Thank you in advance. :)

To those with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW, do you get this problem when
Windows blue screen (assuming you get blue screens -- heh)?
--
"Ladies and Gentlemen, hoboes and tramps...Crosseyed Mosquitoes and bow-legged ants...I've come to tell you the story..." --unknown
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

LM

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

Have you changed xp's error reporting options? I sometimes change
those and I have a feeling that some of those options may cause this.
This pc is quite stable now, so I havent bothered to really check
this.

Other thing I suspect is overheating display adapter or a certain
buggy game. That game has shown me probably all possible blue screens
but lately only error messages. The pc is in open box, so that leaves
bugs...

Have you reinstalled Ati drivers?

And yes, I have a 9800 pro, too (no AIW).

Regards LM

LM <sala.nimi@mail.com> wrote:
> Have you changed xp's error reporting options? I sometimes change
> those and I have a feeling that some of those options may cause this.
> This pc is quite stable now, so I havent bothered to really check
> this.

Yep. I already checked.

> Other thing I suspect is overheating display adapter or a certain
> buggy game. That game has shown me probably all possible blue screens
> but lately only error messages. The pc is in open box, so that leaves
> bugs...

Yeah. It is annoying when I cannot see any texts during the blue screens.
Like who causes the crash.

> Have you reinstalled Ati drivers?

Yep.

--
"Ladies and Gentlemen, hoboes and tramps...Crosseyed Mosquitoes and bow-legged ants...I've come to tell you the story..." --unknown
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

A follow-up. The blank blue screens with missing white texts only
occur when I am using 3D mode like in games and screen savers. I had a
blue screen with white texts while fiddling wiht my wireless NIC driver.