ATI - FireGl X1-128 BSOD

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have been having BSOD's in my drivers for about 6 months or more now since
I received a new Dell Precision 450 with the ATI Dual Monitor FireGL card
installed. When I remote desktop into the system, I will regularly get
BSOD's that cause the system to crash and reboot. I have uploaded the BSOD
dump information to the Microsoft OCA a few times(2 Gigs each time).

I created a support ticket over a month ago, and their support keeps blowing
me off with "Your system is unsupported". I loaded a supported OS and it
still BSOD's. Anyone else having similar crashes on their ATI FireGL cards?

Not too many people here use professional cards. Fewer run them on a
preconfigured OEM machine. Are you using the latest ATi drivers for FireGL
or the preloaded Dell drivers?

BTW, since it's a OEM machine, Microsoft has no business helping you.
Support is the responsiblity of the PC builder. Call Dell and ask for
assistance.

"Nick" <icq69@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have been having BSOD's in my drivers for about 6 months or more now
>since I received a new Dell Precision 450 with the ATI Dual Monitor FireGL
>card installed. When I remote desktop into the system, I will regularly get
>BSOD's that cause the system to crash and reboot. I have uploaded the BSOD
>dump information to the Microsoft OCA a few times(2 Gigs each time).
>
> I created a support ticket over a month ago, and their support keeps
> blowing me off with "Your system is unsupported". I loaded a supported OS
> and it still BSOD's. Anyone else having similar crashes on their ATI
> FireGL cards?

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have loaded ever driver set made available in the last 6 months, including
the driver set that broke dual monitors. None of them have solved my
problem. I submitted to Microsoft's OCA in case ATI monitors their crashes
in the Microsoft OCA database of driver issues, but that would be assuming
that they are proactive in providing reliable products, which does not
appear to be the case. Calling Dell will waste my time with ridiculous "Try
this" and "Try that". This BSOD isn't something that happens infrequently.
No these BSOD's are on the average of three times per week or more. Not to
mention, that I have other co-workers who are running the same system, and
they are also suffering from BSOD's on a regular basis. This verifies it
isn't flaky hardware. Sometimes these BSOD's happen in the middle of the
night while the system has been idle for hours.

Quite a frustrating experience. ATI isn't really interested in offering
help. I have been bouncing emails back and forth with their support team for
almost a month now, and they have offered almost no credible support. Hell,
they sent me an email saying "We released an updated Catalyst driver set
today, try it and see if it resolves your issue". HELLO ATI, the Catalyst
driver set isn't compatible with my FIREGL card, DUH! Your clogging my
delete button :)

> Not too many people here use professional cards. Fewer run them on a
> preconfigured OEM machine. Are you using the latest ATi drivers for FireGL
> or the preloaded Dell drivers?
>
> BTW, since it's a OEM machine, Microsoft has no business helping you.
> Support is the responsiblity of the PC builder. Call Dell and ask for
> assistance.

> "Nick" <icq69@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have been having BSOD's in my drivers for about 6 months or more now
>>since I received a new Dell Precision 450 with the ATI Dual Monitor FireGL
>>card installed. When I remote desktop into the system, I will regularly
>>get BSOD's that cause the system to crash and reboot. I have uploaded the
>>BSOD dump information to the Microsoft OCA a few times(2 Gigs each time).
>>
>> I created a support ticket over a month ago, and their support keeps
>> blowing me off with "Your system is unsupported". I loaded a supported OS
>> and it still BSOD's. Anyone else having similar crashes on their ATI
>> FireGL cards?

This is unfortunate, considering how much your company must have paid for
the workstations. Try turning off the AGP features like fast writes, sb
addressing, or even AGP altogether, and see if the BSOD goes away...
assuming the Dell BIOS even has such options.