If you had a choice

Between an 8MP 'ordinary' and a 5.5MP D-SLR what would you go for? There are
two cameras I've got my eye on (both recommended by Total Digital
Photography here in the UK). They're both Olympus - the 'ordinary' is the
C8080WZ and the D-SLR is the E-1. At the moment, I am a hobbyist, but I
would love to, eventually, make a career out of it. Being an
environmentally-aware sort of gal, my main subjects would be flora and
fauna, primarily of my own fair land (well some parts still are), but
geological structures are also an interest (the Old Man of Hoy, the Giant's
Causeway, Offa's a lovely person or Arthur's Seat, for example).

The 'problem' with the E-1, as I understand it, is that it's got no zoom to
speak of unless you spend another £500 or so on an additional lens (which I
can't afford). I understand the benefits of D-SLR, but would anyone
recommend it to someone just starting out? This is, obviously, a major
investment, and I want to get it right - first time!

By the way, the C8080 doesn't appear to have an LCD screen - is that normal
for an 'ordinary' (sorry as you can see my technical knowledge is zilch!)
camera? I'd need to be able to see the photo after taking it. What about the
E-20P, though I notice the kit doesn't include a power pack or AC adapter.

I need advice - as I, obviously, don't have the foggiest what I'm on about!

Thanks

>Between an 8MP 'ordinary' and a 5.5MP D-SLR what would you go for? There are
>two cameras I've got my eye on (both recommended by Total Digital
>Photography here in the UK). They're both Olympus - the 'ordinary' is the
>C8080WZ and the D-SLR is the E-1. At the moment, I am a hobbyist, but I
>would love to, eventually, make a career out of it. Being an
>environmentally-aware sort of gal, my main subjects would be flora and
>fauna, primarily of my own fair land (well some parts still are), but
>geological structures are also an interest (the Old Man of Hoy, the Giant's
>Causeway, Offa's a lovely person or Arthur's Seat, for example).
>
>The 'problem' with the E-1, as I understand it, is that it's got no zoom to
>speak of unless you spend another £500 or so on an additional lens (which I
>can't afford). I understand the benefits of D-SLR, but would anyone
>recommend it to someone just starting out? This is, obviously, a major
>investment, and I want to get it right - first time!
>
>By the way, the C8080 doesn't appear to have an LCD screen - is that normal
>for an 'ordinary' (sorry as you can see my technical knowledge is zilch!)
>camera? I'd need to be able to see the photo after taking it. What about the
>E-20P, though I notice the kit doesn't include a power pack or AC adapter.
>
>I need advice - as I, obviously, don't have the foggiest what I'm on about!
>
>Thanks

***
Hi...

I recommend that you take a look at the Minolta/Konica DiMAGE A1 ($700+ US).
It is 5 megapixals with a 28-200mm zoom and full manual manual control if
desired. It is what is know as a "pro-sumer" level camera, suitable for
professional work but affordable enough for a serious amateur to consider. I
have one and am very pleased with its wide range of features (including Macro
settings for your "flora & fauna"... I suggest that you get the optional cable
release.)

Below is a direct link to a detailed review of this camera. This website
(www.dpreview.com [you may have to ad the ".us" or some such to reach it from
the UK]) is a very good source for everything related to digital photography.)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagea1/

Note the "anti-shake" capability... very handy for low-light or telephoto; the
very fast shutter speed available; support for external remote slave flash;
bright LCD viewfinder and adjustable angle LCD screen.
Warren
Warren Tryk Design
<wtryk at aol dot com>

Blessed be the ignorant, for theirs is a world of infinite possibilities.

Warren Tryk typed:

>> Between an 8MP 'ordinary' and a 5.5MP D-SLR what would you go for?
>> There are two cameras I've got my eye on (both recommended by Total
>> Digital Photography here in the UK). They're both Olympus - the
>> 'ordinary' is the C8080WZ and the D-SLR is the E-1. At the moment, I
>> am a hobbyist, but I would love to, eventually, make a career out of
>> it. Being an environmentally-aware sort of gal, my main subjects
>> would be flora and fauna, primarily of my own fair land (well some
>> parts still are), but geological structures are also an interest
>> (the Old Man of Hoy, the Giant's Causeway, Offa's a lovely person or Arthur's
>> Seat, for example).
>>
>> The 'problem' with the E-1, as I understand it, is that it's got no
>> zoom to speak of unless you spend another £500 or so on an
>> additional lens (which I can't afford). I understand the benefits of
>> D-SLR, but would anyone recommend it to someone just starting out?
>> This is, obviously, a major investment, and I want to get it right -
>> first time!
>>
>> By the way, the C8080 doesn't appear to have an LCD screen - is that
>> normal for an 'ordinary' (sorry as you can see my technical
>> knowledge is zilch!) camera? I'd need to be able to see the photo
>> after taking it. What about the E-20P, though I notice the kit
>> doesn't include a power pack or AC adapter.
>>
>> I need advice - as I, obviously, don't have the foggiest what I'm on
>> about!
>>
>> Thanks
>
> ***
> Hi...
>
> I recommend that you take a look at the Minolta/Konica DiMAGE A1
> ($700+ US). It is 5 megapixals with a 28-200mm zoom and full manual
> manual control if desired. It is what is know as a "pro-sumer" level
> camera, suitable for professional work but affordable enough for a
> serious amateur to consider. I have one and am very pleased with its
> wide range of features (including Macro settings for your "flora &
> fauna"... I suggest that you get the optional cable release.)
>
> Below is a direct link to a detailed review of this camera. This
> website (www.dpreview.com [you may have to ad the ".us" or some such
> to reach it from the UK]) is a very good source for everything
> related to digital photography.)
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagea1/
>
> Note the "anti-shake" capability... very handy for low-light or
> telephoto;

I do believe that it really works, i just wonder, how long will that poor
wires last...
Second, in that link there's a movie to demonstrate how it works. But no
matter, how many times i look, i don't understand it, since CCD is shaking,
while camera is still - isn't it that it should be quite opposite? (i don't
have to repeat myself that i don't understand, how Image Stabilizer at Canon
S1 works, too...)

On Fri, 21 May 2004 22:19:31 +0200, "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy>
found these unused words floating about:

>Warren Tryk typed:
>
>>> Between an 8MP 'ordinary' and a 5.5MP D-SLR what would you go for?
>>> There are two cameras I've got my eye on (both recommended by Total
>>> Digital Photography here in the UK). They're both Olympus - the
>>> 'ordinary' is the C8080WZ and the D-SLR is the E-1. At the moment, I
>>> am a hobbyist, but I would love to, eventually, make a career out of
>>> it. Being an environmentally-aware sort of gal, my main subjects
>>> would be flora and fauna, primarily of my own fair land (well some
>>> parts still are), but geological structures are also an interest
>>> (the Old Man of Hoy, the Giant's Causeway, Offa's a lovely person or Arthur's
>>> Seat, for example).
>>>
>>> The 'problem' with the E-1, as I understand it, is that it's got no
>>> zoom to speak of unless you spend another £500 or so on an
>>> additional lens (which I can't afford). I understand the benefits of
>>> D-SLR, but would anyone recommend it to someone just starting out?
>>> This is, obviously, a major investment, and I want to get it right -
>>> first time!
>>>
>>> By the way, the C8080 doesn't appear to have an LCD screen - is that
>>> normal for an 'ordinary' (sorry as you can see my technical
>>> knowledge is zilch!) camera? I'd need to be able to see the photo
>>> after taking it. What about the E-20P, though I notice the kit
>>> doesn't include a power pack or AC adapter.
>>>
>>> I need advice - as I, obviously, don't have the foggiest what I'm on
>>> about!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> ***
>> Hi...
>>
>> I recommend that you take a look at the Minolta/Konica DiMAGE A1
>> ($700+ US). It is 5 megapixals with a 28-200mm zoom and full manual
>> manual control if desired. It is what is know as a "pro-sumer" level
>> camera, suitable for professional work but affordable enough for a
>> serious amateur to consider. I have one and am very pleased with its
>> wide range of features (including Macro settings for your "flora &
>> fauna"... I suggest that you get the optional cable release.)
>>
>> Below is a direct link to a detailed review of this camera. This
>> website (www.dpreview.com [you may have to ad the ".us" or some such
>> to reach it from the UK]) is a very good source for everything
>> related to digital photography.)
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagea1/
>>
>> Note the "anti-shake" capability... very handy for low-light or
>> telephoto;
>
>I do believe that it really works, i just wonder, how long will that poor
>wires last...
>Second, in that link there's a movie to demonstrate how it works. But no
>matter, how many times i look, i don't understand it, since CCD is shaking,
>while camera is still - isn't it that it should be quite opposite? (i don't
>have to repeat myself that i don't understand, how Image Stabilizer at Canon
>S1 works, too...)

Look for the updated unit the A-2 ..

Just because the demonstration showed the camera still and the CCD moving -
it's really the other way 'round. YOU are the one shaking (with the camera)
and the chip is 'holding still'.

Movement is so small that the wires will have enough flex to last the
'usable lifetime' - for a digital camera, that's about 3-4 years. Compare
that small movement to the flex required for the wires on the heads of your
HD ... a lot more accelleration and much heavier usage.

J. A. Mc. typed:

> On Fri, 21 May 2004 22:19:31 +0200, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> found these unused words floating about:
>
>> Warren Tryk typed:

>>> ***
>>> Hi...
>>>
>>> I recommend that you take a look at the Minolta/Konica DiMAGE A1
>>> ($700+ US). It is 5 megapixals with a 28-200mm zoom and full manual
>>> manual control if desired. It is what is know as a "pro-sumer"
>>> level camera, suitable for professional work but affordable enough
>>> for a serious amateur to consider. I have one and am very pleased
>>> with its wide range of features (including Macro settings for your
>>> "flora & fauna"... I suggest that you get the optional cable
>>> release.)
>>>
>>> Below is a direct link to a detailed review of this camera. This
>>> website (www.dpreview.com [you may have to ad the ".us" or some such
>>> to reach it from the UK]) is a very good source for everything
>>> related to digital photography.)
>>>
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagea1/
>>>
>>> Note the "anti-shake" capability... very handy for low-light or
>>> telephoto;
>>
>> I do believe that it really works, i just wonder, how long will that
>> poor wires last...
>> Second, in that link there's a movie to demonstrate how it works.
>> But no matter, how many times i look, i don't understand it, since
>> CCD is shaking, while camera is still - isn't it that it should be
>> quite opposite? (i don't have to repeat myself that i don't
>> understand, how Image Stabilizer at Canon S1 works, too...)
>>
> Look for the updated unit the A-2 ..
>
> Just because the demonstration showed the camera still and the CCD
> moving - it's really the other way 'round. YOU are the one shaking
> (with the camera) and the chip is 'holding still'.
>
> Movement is so small that the wires will have enough flex to last the
> 'usable lifetime' - for a digital camera, that's about 3-4 years.
> Compare that small movement to the flex required for the wires on the
> heads of your HD ... a lot more accelleration and much heavier usage.

Hmmm..could be.. At the end, a lot of LCD's are flexible now, so they also
do have similar wires...
The question is, which system is better, mechanic or digital?

"Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
> Between an 8MP 'ordinary' and a 5.5MP D-SLR what would you go for? There
are
> two cameras I've got my eye on (both recommended by Total Digital
> Photography here in the UK). They're both Olympus - the 'ordinary' is the
> C8080WZ and the D-SLR is the E-1. At the moment, I am a hobbyist, but I
> would love to, eventually, make a career out of it. Being an
> environmentally-aware sort of gal, my main subjects would be flora and
> fauna, primarily of my own fair land (well some parts still are), but
> geological structures are also an interest (the Old Man of Hoy, the
Giant's
> Causeway, Offa's a lovely person or Arthur's Seat, for example).
>
> The 'problem' with the E-1, as I understand it, is that it's got no zoom
> speak of unless you spend another £500 or so on an additional lens (which
> can't afford). I understand the benefits of D-SLR, but would anyone
> recommend it to someone just starting out? This is, obviously, a major
> investment, and I want to get it right - first time!
>
> By the way, the C8080 doesn't appear to have an LCD screen - is that
normal
> for an 'ordinary' (sorry as you can see my technical knowledge is zilch!)
> camera? I'd need to be able to see the photo after taking it. What about
the
> E-20P, though I notice the kit doesn't include a power pack or AC adapter.

It has an lcd. See the specs at
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product_lobbypage.asp?l=1&p=16&bc=2&product=961&fl=4.
And the viewfinder is electronic, 240,000 pixels. One of the main reasons
for the viewfinder is framing photos, but thta is near-impossible in bright
sunlight.

> I need advice - as I, obviously, don't have the foggiest what I'm on
about!

> Thanks

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"
Unfortunately it's not as easy as that, I put a lot of weight for my final
conclusion on image quality. And that's where this otherwise unbeatable
package is let down, the DiMAGE A1 delivers just average (or below average
depending on your opinion) resolution with a good smattering of moiré at
resolution limits and some other artifacts which are clearly issues with the
camera's internal processing, as they don't appear in RAW converted images.
I truly hope that Minolta can address these issues and improve resolution
either in a firmware update or in their next camera and receive the Highly
Recommended rating such a package would deserve.

"

from the review.

Why get this camere ????

I'd go with the Olympus Camedia C-770 for $600 US because it has 10X optical
zoom (4 MP) over the Camedia C-60 Zoom for $450 (3x optical zoom, 6.1MP, 13
Automatic and Full Manual shooting modes) just because of the the 10X optical
zoom. Maybe just wait for an ad that tells me about a 10x optical zoom with Full
Manual & Auto-override functions.

A Nikon FE type of Digital Camera would be nice too...with plenty of zoom!

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in message
| I'd go with the Olympus Camedia C-770 for $600 US because it has 10X optical
| zoom (4 MP) over the Camedia C-60 Zoom for $450 (3x optical zoom, 6.1MP, 13
| Automatic and Full Manual shooting modes) just because of the the 10X optical
| zoom. Maybe just wait for an ad that tells me about a 10x optical zoom with
Full
| Manual & Auto-override functions.
|
| A Nikon FE type of Digital Camera would be nice too...with plenty of zoom!

Why not buy both of the above instead of the 8080 that costs about the sum total
of the two listed above?

TRENDING THREADS