HELP ME, PLEASE Administrator's Password Needed!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I posted back on the 5th and so far no one has posted a reply or help.

I need to log into the computer as an Administrator in safe mode. I'm
running XP Professional with SP2. I'm the only person using the
machine. I try to start in safe mode choosing Administrator. It asks for a
password. I don't ever remember entering a password, so I didn't enter
anything. I hit enter and it asks for a password.

I went into User Settings on the control panel and it gives my ID
and below it says computer administrator. I've gone in and changed my
password leaving it blank as the password, but it still won't work when I'm
going into safe mode and choosing administrator instead of my name. How do I
find out the password that XP is wanting for me to start up in safe mode.

PLEASE help! Thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about help administrator password needed
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Log into Safe Mode using the user that has Administrator access.
    From there go to User Accounts and change the password for "Administrator".
    Now you can log out and back in, this time as "Administrator".
    ..
    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    http://www.dts-l.org


    "LJM" <LJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:3843C948-48C9-4C08-8FD8-93BB44613072@microsoft.com...
    >I posted back on the 5th and so far no one has posted a reply or help.
    >
    > I need to log into the computer as an Administrator in safe mode. I'm
    > running XP Professional with SP2. I'm the only person using the
    > machine. I try to start in safe mode choosing Administrator. It asks for a
    > password. I don't ever remember entering a password, so I didn't enter
    > anything. I hit enter and it asks for a password.
    >
    > I went into User Settings on the control panel and it gives my ID
    > and below it says computer administrator. I've gone in and changed my
    > password leaving it blank as the password, but it still won't work when
    > I'm
    > going into safe mode and choosing administrator instead of my name. How do
    > I
    > find out the password that XP is wanting for me to start up in safe mode.
    >
    > PLEASE help! Thanks.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I did as you instructed. I went into safe mode and logged in as myselt
    (administrator). I changed the password and restarted, again in safe mode.
    This time I chose administrator to log in. It asked for the password. I
    entered the new password. It asked for the password again. I entered it
    again. It will not accept my password, even though I am the administrator.

    What more can I do?

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > Log into Safe Mode using the user that has Administrator access.
    > From there go to User Accounts and change the password for "Administrator".
    > Now you can log out and back in, this time as "Administrator".
    > ..
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >
    >
    > "LJM" <LJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:3843C948-48C9-4C08-8FD8-93BB44613072@microsoft.com...
    > >I posted back on the 5th and so far no one has posted a reply or help.
    > >
    > > I need to log into the computer as an Administrator in safe mode. I'm
    > > running XP Professional with SP2. I'm the only person using the
    > > machine. I try to start in safe mode choosing Administrator. It asks for a
    > > password. I don't ever remember entering a password, so I didn't enter
    > > anything. I hit enter and it asks for a password.
    > >
    > > I went into User Settings on the control panel and it gives my ID
    > > and below it says computer administrator. I've gone in and changed my
    > > password leaving it blank as the password, but it still won't work when
    > > I'm
    > > going into safe mode and choosing administrator instead of my name. How do
    > > I
    > > find out the password that XP is wanting for me to start up in safe mode.
    > >
    > > PLEASE help! Thanks.
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    LJM wrote:
    > I did as you instructed. I went into safe mode and logged in as myselt
    > (administrator). I changed the password and restarted, again in safe
    > mode. This time I chose administrator to log in. It asked for the
    > password. I entered the new password. It asked for the password
    > again. I entered it again. It will not accept my password, even
    > though I am the administrator.

    Is your username "adminstrator"?
    Is that how you logged in when in safe mode?

    (It is HIGHLY unlikely your username is administrator. When you logged in
    at safe mode, you likely logged in as "administrator" and when you booted
    back to normal mode, you are likely clicking on a name on the welcome
    screen. Did you change YOUR users password or "administrator"?)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    --
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    When I logged into safe mode, I logged in as myself and not administrator.
    When I got into User Accounts, it never listed administrator as an option,
    just myself with the identifying label as "Computer Administrator." All this
    was in sfe mode.

    So if I can't change the administrator password, how can I find out the
    password that Windows is asking for?

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > LJM wrote:
    > > I did as you instructed. I went into safe mode and logged in as myselt
    > > (administrator). I changed the password and restarted, again in safe
    > > mode. This time I chose administrator to log in. It asked for the
    > > password. I entered the new password. It asked for the password
    > > again. I entered it again. It will not accept my password, even
    > > though I am the administrator.
    >
    > Is your username "adminstrator"?
    > Is that how you logged in when in safe mode?
    >
    > (It is HIGHLY unlikely your username is administrator. When you logged in
    > at safe mode, you likely logged in as "administrator" and when you booted
    > back to normal mode, you are likely clicking on a name on the welcome
    > screen. Did you change YOUR users password or "administrator"?)
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    LJM wrote:

    > When I logged into safe mode, I logged in as myself and not
    > administrator. When I got into User Accounts, it never listed
    > administrator as an option, just myself with the identifying label as
    > "Computer Administrator." All this was in sfe mode.
    >
    > So if I can't change the administrator password, how can I find out
    > the password that Windows is asking for?
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >
    >> LJM wrote:
    >> > I did as you instructed. I went into safe mode and logged in as
    >> > myselt (administrator). I changed the password and restarted, again
    >> > in safe mode. This time I chose administrator to log in. It asked
    >> > for the password. I entered the new password. It asked for the
    >> > password again. I entered it again. It will not accept my password,
    >> > even though I am the administrator.
    >>
    >> Is your username "adminstrator"?
    >> Is that how you logged in when in safe mode?
    >>
    >> (It is HIGHLY unlikely your username is administrator. When you
    >> logged in at safe mode, you likely logged in as "administrator" and
    >> when you booted back to normal mode, you are likely clicking on a
    >> name on the welcome
    >> screen. Did you change YOUR users password or "administrator"?)
    >>

    Use NTpasswd to change the Administrator password (not your account, but
    the built-in Administrator account) to a blank.

    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I downloaded the file CD050303.zip and wrote it to a bootable CD. I lauched
    it and it was totally in German, so I couldn't understand what to do or how
    to do it. Do you have a link for a file in English, or a way to discern what
    I'm supposed to do while running the program?

    "Malke" wrote:

    > LJM wrote:
    >
    > > When I logged into safe mode, I logged in as myself and not
    > > administrator. When I got into User Accounts, it never listed
    > > administrator as an option, just myself with the identifying label as
    > > "Computer Administrator." All this was in sfe mode.
    > >
    > > So if I can't change the administrator password, how can I find out
    > > the password that Windows is asking for?
    > >
    > > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    > >
    > >> LJM wrote:
    > >> > I did as you instructed. I went into safe mode and logged in as
    > >> > myselt (administrator). I changed the password and restarted, again
    > >> > in safe mode. This time I chose administrator to log in. It asked
    > >> > for the password. I entered the new password. It asked for the
    > >> > password again. I entered it again. It will not accept my password,
    > >> > even though I am the administrator.
    > >>
    > >> Is your username "adminstrator"?
    > >> Is that how you logged in when in safe mode?
    > >>
    > >> (It is HIGHLY unlikely your username is administrator. When you
    > >> logged in at safe mode, you likely logged in as "administrator" and
    > >> when you booted back to normal mode, you are likely clicking on a
    > >> name on the welcome
    > >> screen. Did you change YOUR users password or "administrator"?)
    > >>
    >
    > Use NTpasswd to change the Administrator password (not your account, but
    > the built-in Administrator account) to a blank.
    >
    > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    LJM wrote:

    > I downloaded the file CD050303.zip and wrote it to a bootable CD. I
    > lauched it and it was totally in German, so I couldn't understand what
    > to do or how to do it. Do you have a link for a file in English, or a
    > way to discern what I'm supposed to do while running the program?
    >
    I don't know where you got NTpasswd from (did you use the Russian mirror
    by mistake? Or download the source disk by mistake?), but I just booted
    one of my machines with the cd050303.zip bootable cd I had previously
    made (same version) and it is all in English. Try again. Go to this
    link:

    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    Click on Bootdisk and then scroll down to the Download section. You are
    give three choices, including cd050303.zip.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I downloaded the program again and burned it to CD. The CD was not bootable.
    So I extracted eveything from the *.iso file and burned that to a CD. Again,
    it was not burnable. So I created a bootable CD through Nero and added all
    the files. The CD was bootable, but the only *.exe file in the root directory
    is the one that is in German.

    What file should I be opening and where would it be located on the CD?

    "Malke" wrote:

    > LJM wrote:
    >
    > > I downloaded the file CD050303.zip and wrote it to a bootable CD. I
    > > lauched it and it was totally in German, so I couldn't understand what
    > > to do or how to do it. Do you have a link for a file in English, or a
    > > way to discern what I'm supposed to do while running the program?
    > >
    > I don't know where you got NTpasswd from (did you use the Russian mirror
    > by mistake? Or download the source disk by mistake?), but I just booted
    > one of my machines with the cd050303.zip bootable cd I had previously
    > made (same version) and it is all in English. Try again. Go to this
    > link:
    >
    > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >
    > Click on Bootdisk and then scroll down to the Download section. You are
    > give three choices, including cd050303.zip.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    LJM wrote:

    > I downloaded the program again and burned it to CD. The CD was not
    > bootable. So I extracted eveything from the *.iso file and burned that
    > to a CD. Again, it was not burnable. So I created a bootable CD
    > through Nero and added all the files. The CD was bootable, but the
    > only *.exe file in the root directory is the one that is in German.
    >
    > What file should I be opening and where would it be located on the CD?

    You shouldn't be opening/extracting any files except from the zip. The
    file you downloaded is an *image*. You need to burn the .iso file to
    cd. XP's built-in burning capability cannot burn .iso's and your Nero
    is perfect for the job.

    All you need to do is extract the .iso file from the .zip folder and put
    it somewhere you can find it. Then from Nero, choose "burn image" (I
    don't have a Windows machine running Nero available to check the exact
    language right now). Navigate to the *.iso file and show it to Nero and
    burn it. You don't need to set Nero to make a "bootable cd" or anything
    like that. Just burn the .iso image and boot with it.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    LJM,

    Obviously you are missing something - somewhere.
    When you booted into safe mode - it should have asked you to logon.. What
    did you TYPE IN as your username?
    Next time - type in "administrator" without the quotes. The password is
    likely whatever you changed it to or a blank (nothing) password.
    When you log into Safe Mode as "administrator", you can change anyone and
    everyone's passwords. Start -> Run and type in:

    control userpasswords2

    and click OK. Then under the users tab, find your user account and select
    it and click on the "Reset Password" button. Change your password. Change
    the Administrator's password as well.

    Reboot and logon..

    If that doesn't work - please report back the exact message you are getting,
    because it is entirely possible you have a corrupt user profile.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    --
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Thank you. I attempted what you suggested and it worked just fine. Got into
    safe mode without a hitch and without having to put in a password. Again,
    thank you for all your help.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > LJM wrote:
    >
    > > I downloaded the program again and burned it to CD. The CD was not
    > > bootable. So I extracted eveything from the *.iso file and burned that
    > > to a CD. Again, it was not burnable. So I created a bootable CD
    > > through Nero and added all the files. The CD was bootable, but the
    > > only *.exe file in the root directory is the one that is in German.
    > >
    > > What file should I be opening and where would it be located on the CD?
    >
    > You shouldn't be opening/extracting any files except from the zip. The
    > file you downloaded is an *image*. You need to burn the .iso file to
    > cd. XP's built-in burning capability cannot burn .iso's and your Nero
    > is perfect for the job.
    >
    > All you need to do is extract the .iso file from the .zip folder and put
    > it somewhere you can find it. Then from Nero, choose "burn image" (I
    > don't have a Windows machine running Nero available to check the exact
    > language right now). Navigate to the *.iso file and show it to Nero and
    > burn it. You don't need to set Nero to make a "bootable cd" or anything
    > like that. Just burn the .iso image and boot with it.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Safe Mode Windows XP