9800 Pro - ATI Radeon X800 256MB AGP Graphics Card

I was wondering if the upgrade (9800 pro 128meg card to the X800) would be
worth while. The X800 is on sale for 399 cdn at Futureshop.
I paln on not moving to pci-express any time soon....
7 answers Last reply
More about 9800 radeon x800 256mb graphics card

    I was looking at that too...but it is no longer in stock..so that might help
    your decision

    http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

    not alot of info but there is some

    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2290&p=1

    there is a little more info here..even Bestbuy is out of stock since they
    have same price...go figure..same company

    Strange they should advertise it then. Looking at the Benches its seems to
    be alot faster than the 9800pro. Thanks for the links, I tend to upgrade
    when I can double the performance at mid cost. If they do get stock the real
    question for me would be is it worth 400$ ?
    "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
    >I was looking at that too...but it is no longer in stock..so that might
    >help
    > your decision
    >
    > http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html
    >
    > not alot of info but there is some
    >
    > http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2290&p=1
    >
    > there is a little more info here..even Bestbuy is out of stock since they
    > have same price...go figure..same company

    well..that is hard to say...look at the performance of a 6600GT and then
    figure the price difference..I can buy an MSI 6600GT VTD for $266 CDN..so as
    value goes..this is better. I have been ATI ever since G4 Nvidia
    dissappeared and find it hard to go back

    Catfish wrote:

    > I was wondering if the upgrade (9800 pro 128meg card to the X800) would be
    > worth while. The X800 is on sale for 399 cdn at Futureshop.
    > I paln on not moving to pci-express any time soon....

    worthwhile NO

    "Catfish" <grey119@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I was wondering if the upgrade (9800 pro 128meg card to the X800) would be
    >worth while. The X800 is on sale for 399 cdn at Futureshop.
    > I paln on not moving to pci-express any time soon....

    Not worthwhile for a 35-40% boost in framerates or benches. I tend to wait
    for 100% boost being in the $300-400 range.

    Catfish wrote:
    > I was wondering if the upgrade (9800 pro 128meg card to the X800) would be
    > worth while. The X800 is on sale for 399 cdn at Futureshop.
    > I paln on not moving to pci-express any time soon....

    I'm sure you can find comparisons, so put it this way:
    In your current system, will it give a gain large enough, or allow you
    to play the gmaes you want to play? Do you want to pay that much to
    play these games that much faster?

    I've upgraded to an AMD64 3000+ and X800XL from XP2500+ and 9800 Pro.

    I wassn't amased at the improvements, but they are most definately
    there... I can turn more options on and play at higher resolutions, but
    there's no wow factor to it.

    When I moved from Tseng Labs ET6000 to 3Dfx Banshee, I said wow. When I
    moved to V3, I said Wow (I only had the Banshee a couple of weeks,
    anyway). When I moved to 9800 Pro... Wow. This time around isn't like
    that, there's not much thats new. But I'm sure there will be soon, and
    meanwhile I can take advantage of the smoother gameplay at higher res.

    Ben

    Thanks all for the replies, after hearing all responses I am going to wait
    for the big wow factor at the 300-400$ level ;)
    Your replies helped me make up my mind and saved some dissappointment and
    money.
    "Catfish" <grey119@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I was wondering if the upgrade (9800 pro 128meg card to the X800) would be
    >worth while. The X800 is on sale for 399 cdn at Futureshop.
    > I paln on not moving to pci-express any time soon....

Radeon ATI Graphics Cards Graphics Product