Unable to boot from perfectly bootable CD (no problem with..

Hi,
I made a windows update and restarted the system as instructed.
Windows starts and doesn't go any further after the colorful XP logo
page come (just before the login screen). Now I tried to reinstall XP
but have a problem installing. I use the bootable disc, i get the
prompt "press any key to boot from CD" after i do so, it gives the
first message (a line) and the screen later goes black, seemingly the
systems hangs there.
The CD is perfectly bootable disc as i have tried it on another
computer. My CD-drive is also good as i have used the same drive later
to install Linux in to the system.
Can i know where the problem could be.

greenhorn
2 answers Last reply
More about unable boot perfectly bootable problem with
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.windows (More info?)

    Greenhorn wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I made a windows update and restarted the system as instructed.
    > Windows starts and doesn't go any further after the colorful XP logo
    > page come (just before the login screen). Now I tried to reinstall XP
    > but have a problem installing. I use the bootable disc, i get the
    > prompt "press any key to boot from CD" after i do so, it gives the
    > first message (a line) and the screen later goes black, seemingly the
    > systems hangs there.
    > The CD is perfectly bootable disc as i have tried it on another
    > computer. My CD-drive is also good as i have used the same drive later
    > to install Linux in to the system.
    > Can i know where the problem could be.

    You did the sleuthing yourself..

    "The CD is perfectly bootable disc as I have tried it on another computer."
    "My CD-drive is also good as I have used the same drive later to install
    Linux in to the system."

    *If* both of those statements are taken as fact - then you have to also take
    into account that even though your CD is "fine" and works elsewhere and your
    CD drive worked fine for installing something else - there is a possibility
    that the CD in question may have trouble in the drive in question - meaning
    it may have just enough damage to it to prevent that particular CD Drive
    from being able to access everything as needed.

    In one of those systems where the CD itself worked fine - take out the CD
    drive - put it in this system and try it there - truly eliminate the drive
    or prove the drive as the guilty party.

    If the CD/New Drive where it worked in another system fails - then you may
    have some other hardware issue. Bad RAM, something incompatible with your
    BIOS, some hard drive error. Windows XP is more "sensitive" to these things
    than many other operating systems and will not just simply
    ignore/automatically work around them. If something is wrong with your
    memory, this could be the cause. Same with your hard disk drive - I would
    suggest testing those first - after eliminating the CD Drive/CD combination
    that is. I would then check for an updated BIOS from the motherboard
    manufacturer.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Two things that you might try...
    1) Hit delete (or whatever key that you need to hit during boot to
    access the Cmos). Try making the CD drive the only boot device.
    2) I think in Windows XP during boot you can hit a key that will take
    you to a screen where you can roll back your machine to a date prior to
    the update that caused your problem.

CD-Rom Windows XP