Microsoft Antispyware & NETBIOS Messenger

Every time I reboot my PC (XP with all patches) Microsoft Antispyware advises
me to disable NETBIOS Messenger. Every time I click YES PLEASE DISABLE IT,
but next time I reboot, there it is again. Isn't it possible to kill that
bastard forever? It does not seem that DISABLE sticks. When I reboot it is
again AUTOMATIC. How come?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

AntiSpyware forum is at:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

"Truls Hjelle" <TrulsHjelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time I reboot my PC (XP with all patches) Microsoft Antispyware
> advises
> me to disable NETBIOS Messenger. Every time I click YES PLEASE DISABLE
> IT,
> but next time I reboot, there it is again. Isn't it possible to kill that
> bastard forever? It does not seem that DISABLE sticks. When I reboot it
> is
> again AUTOMATIC. How come?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:02B388DD-D4CA-4CBB-939C-A4F11D92BE74@microsoft.com,
Truls Hjelle <TrulsHjelle@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Every time I reboot my PC (XP with all patches) Microsoft Antispyware
> advises me to disable NETBIOS Messenger. Every time I click YES
> PLEASE DISABLE IT, but next time I reboot, there it is again. Isn't
> it possible to kill that bastard forever? It does not seem that
> DISABLE sticks. When I reboot it is again AUTOMATIC. How come?

ALL patches? You have SP2? As you were told in the other message there's a
specific group for MSAS. Keep in mind that it is a beta product but here's
what I'd check...

Start > Run > "services.msc" (without the quotes) > find "Messenger" service
> right click > disable it... Install SP2 as it will be turned off by
default. Use a firewall because just turning off the service doesn't mean
the hole has been closed, it only means that you won't see it which is far
worse than a hole that you do see and thus monitor.

You mention that you have all the patches which implies that you're using
service pack two and it should be disabled automatically unless you, another
person, or an application enabled it again. Assuming you didn't enable it as
you'd then probably know what it was you're poking about with or you
probably shouldn't press those buttons then it's obviously someone/something
else that has enabled it.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

My reply is at the bottom.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:02B388DD-D4CA-4CBB-939C-A4F11D92BE74@microsoft.com,
> Truls Hjelle <TrulsHjelle@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > Every time I reboot my PC (XP with all patches) Microsoft Antispyware
> > advises me to disable NETBIOS Messenger. Every time I click YES
> > PLEASE DISABLE IT, but next time I reboot, there it is again. Isn't
> > it possible to kill that bastard forever? It does not seem that
> > DISABLE sticks. When I reboot it is again AUTOMATIC. How come?
>
> ALL patches? You have SP2? As you were told in the other message there's a
> specific group for MSAS. Keep in mind that it is a beta product but here's
> what I'd check...
>
> Start > Run > "services.msc" (without the quotes) > find "Messenger" service
> > right click > disable it... Install SP2 as it will be turned off by
> default. Use a firewall because just turning off the service doesn't mean
> the hole has been closed, it only means that you won't see it which is far
> worse than a hole that you do see and thus monitor.
>
> You mention that you have all the patches which implies that you're using
> service pack two and it should be disabled automatically unless you, another
> person, or an application enabled it again. Assuming you didn't enable it as
> you'd then probably know what it was you're poking about with or you
> probably shouldn't press those buttons then it's obviously someone/something
> else that has enabled it.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Messenger is disabled. SP2 is in place. I use ZoneAlarm in stead of the
Windows Firewall. When I go to Windows Update there are absolutely no
patches to install (not even optional). Yet, when I reboot, Microsoft
Antispyware asks me to disable "NETBIOS Messenger". If I answer NO to its
suggestion, Messenger is Automatic. If I answer YES, it is disabled. Yet
the whole process repeats itself.

:eek:) Truls

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:66C82A2E-E90F-4FD3-8C77-F7EB4C737883@microsoft.com,
Truls Hjelle <TrulsHjelle@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> My reply is at the bottom.
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:02B388DD-D4CA-4CBB-939C-A4F11D92BE74@microsoft.com,
>> Truls Hjelle <TrulsHjelle@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>>> Every time I reboot my PC (XP with all patches) Microsoft
>>> Antispyware advises me to disable NETBIOS Messenger. Every time I
>>> click YES PLEASE DISABLE IT, but next time I reboot, there it is
>>> again. Isn't it possible to kill that bastard forever? It does
>>> not seem that DISABLE sticks. When I reboot it is again AUTOMATIC.
>>> How come?
>>
>> ALL patches? You have SP2? As you were told in the other message
>> there's a specific group for MSAS. Keep in mind that it is a beta
>> product but here's what I'd check...
>>
>> Start > Run > "services.msc" (without the quotes) > find "Messenger"
>> service > right click > disable it... Install SP2 as it will be
>> turned off by default. Use a firewall because just turning off the
>> service doesn't mean the hole has been closed, it only means that
>> you won't see it which is far worse than a hole that you do see and
>> thus monitor.
>>
>> You mention that you have all the patches which implies that you're
>> using service pack two and it should be disabled automatically
>> unless you, another person, or an application enabled it again.
>> Assuming you didn't enable it as you'd then probably know what it
>> was you're poking about with or you probably shouldn't press those
>> buttons then it's obviously someone/something else that has enabled
>> it.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
>> without them."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes
>
> Messenger is disabled. SP2 is in place. I use ZoneAlarm in stead of
> the Windows Firewall. When I go to Windows Update there are
> absolutely no patches to install (not even optional). Yet, when I
> reboot, Microsoft Antispyware asks me to disable "NETBIOS Messenger".
> If I answer NO to its suggestion, Messenger is Automatic. If I
> answer YES, it is disabled. Yet the whole process repeats itself.
>
>> o) Truls

Sounds indeed like you have a bug. <g> Oddly they are called bugs because
bugs used to get into the large computers (not so much an issue now) and
really mess up the works or so I have been told from a fairly reliable
source. Jerry's response contained a link for the MSAS newsgroups where I am
afraid you'll have to take this then if it's going to keep asking you over
and over again. My only other suggestion would be to kick it at this point
and somehow I don't think that would help. In case it's not available for
you to view:

<canned answer>

For future reference there have been newsgroups setup specifically for the
Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta:

Support for Beta of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
is being provided through the following Microsoft
newsgroups:
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.

To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following
location:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following information
for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
- NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
- Account name: privatenews\spyware
- Password: spyware

NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link

</can>

I can't help you beyond that. I have no idea why it would pop up unless it's
enabled though it might have something to do with another one of your
applications though I can't think of what that might be other than perhaps a
networking application of sorts.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

"Galen" wrote:

> [...]
> location:
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?
>ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
>
> To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following information
> for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
> - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
> - Account name: privatenews\spyware
> - Password: spyware
>
> NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link
>
> </can>
>
> I can't help you beyond that. I have no idea why it would pop up unless it's
> enabled though it might have something to do with another one of your
> applications though I can't think of what that might be other than perhaps a
> networking application of sorts.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world

Hi Galen!

Do you know what Galen means in Norwegian? In means madman (ha ha).

I just remebered something that may have bearing on this problem.

A few weeks ago the IT department in my company installed Symatec Antivirus on
my PC. Previously we used F-Secure. Do you know if Symantec Antivirus
turns on
the NETBIOS Messenger?

:eek:) Truls

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:11246E07-A627-4CBC-85F0-6765D8EB7824@microsoft.com,
> [...]

>> NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link
>>
>> </can>
>>
>> I can't help you beyond that. I have no idea why it would pop up
>> unless it's enabled though it might have something to do with
>> another one of your applications though I can't think of what that
>> might be other than perhaps a networking application of sorts.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
>> without them."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes
>
> Hi Galen!
>
> Do you know what Galen means in Norwegian? In means madman (ha ha).
>
> I just remebered something that may have bearing on this problem.
>
> A few weeks ago the IT department in my company installed Symatec
> Antivirus on my PC. Previously we used F-Secure. Do you know if

No, I can't imagine that it does but now that I know you're in a company
environment perhaps there's a utility installed on your computer by your IT
department that allows IT Admins to send you messeges and functions like the
messenger service. That might be the cause. If it's a legitimate program and
not the service itself then it should be filed as a bug in the appropriate
newsgroups probably. As for the name Galen meaning madman I'd been told that
quite some time back but had actually forgotten about that so thanks for
reminding me. :)

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes