Fast User Account Switching

When I try to switch user accounts on Win XP without logging one of the users
out I can not do it. I have fast user switching turned on as well as Use the
welcome screen. The only thing that happens is the welcome screen will show
and when I try to click on a non active account the screen will flash and
return to the welcome screen. What could I have done to the program to make
it operate this way and how can I fix the problem?

Thank you for your concern.
5 answers Last reply
More about fast user account switching

    Is this a standalone computer?
    Have you configured services?
    Have you configured System\Computer Name\Network ID or computer name?

    If it is a standalone computer,.. is the Server service enabled?.
    (Start\Run\services.msc\Server)

    "One Trilogy" <One Trilogy@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > When I try to switch user accounts on Win XP without logging one of the
    users
    > out I can not do it. I have fast user switching turned on as well as Use
    the
    > welcome screen. The only thing that happens is the welcome screen will
    show
    > and when I try to click on a non active account the screen will flash and
    > return to the welcome screen. What could I have done to the program to
    make
    > it operate this way and how can I fix the problem?
    >
    > Thank you for your concern.

    Yes, the server service is enabled (the status says started) and the PC is
    not networked. Not sure what you mean by have I configured services though.
    However since your line of questioning looks like that would concern the
    computer being networked I don't think it matters.
    Could I have set the computer to think that it is on a network when it is
    really not? Where do I look to be sure that it is not set up this way.

    "Juan" wrote:

    > Is this a standalone computer?
    > Have you configured services?
    > Have you configured System\Computer Name\Network ID or computer name?
    >
    > If it is a standalone computer,.. is the Server service enabled?.
    > (Start\Run\services.msc\Server)

    I believe the fast user switching is disabled in a network enviroment so if
    you have made changes in System\Comp name like modify the workgroup or
    computer name, you may have made your computer think it's in a network, that
    coul have disabled the fast user switching. The Server service is only
    usefull in a network enviroment so there's no need to have it running and it
    also may be causing the computer to think it's networked specially if you
    have done something else to reinforce that. Disabling the Server service
    alone should gray out the network ID in System\Comp name and take care of
    things. I have proved this recently.

    Greetings.

    > Yes, the server service is enabled (the status says started) and the PC is
    > not networked. Not sure what you mean by have I configured services
    though.
    > However since your line of questioning looks like that would concern the
    > computer being networked I don't think it matters.
    > Could I have set the computer to think that it is on a network when it is
    > really not? Where do I look to be sure that it is not set up this way.
    >
    > "Juan" wrote:
    >
    > > Is this a standalone computer?
    > > Have you configured services?
    > > Have you configured System\Computer Name\Network ID or computer name?
    > >
    > > If it is a standalone computer,.. is the Server service enabled?.
    > > (Start\Run\services.msc\Server)

    I have disabled the Server service but still can not take advantage of Fast
    User Switching. Some additional information, I believe that this problem
    started to occur after I downloaded some updates from the automatic windows
    update feature. Could one of the downloads have changed some settings in
    Windows XP and make the program believe that the computer is networked? Not
    sure which update that it was though. Would the safest thing be to just take
    off all the downloads and download all of them again. OR is there a way to
    reset all of the settings in windows to a "default" setting?

    "Juan" wrote:

    > I believe the fast user switching is disabled in a network enviroment so if
    > you have made changes in System\Comp name like modify the workgroup or
    > computer name, you may have made your computer think it's in a network, that
    > coul have disabled the fast user switching. The Server service is only
    > usefull in a network enviroment so there's no need to have it running and it
    > also may be causing the computer to think it's networked specially if you
    > have done something else to reinforce that. Disabling the Server service
    > alone should gray out the network ID in System\Comp name and take care of
    > things. I have proved this recently.

    There are a number of reasons that could have disabled the fast user
    switching feature, for example; If you have enabled offline files, you may
    have installed an application that does not support fast user switching,
    some services may be enabled that may be causing the problem, not enough
    available resources.. See if any of the following KB articles holds a clue.

    How To Use the Fast User Switching Feature in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279765

    Architecture of Fast User Switching
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294737/en-us

    A Discussion About the Availability of the Fast User Switching Feature
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294739/en-us

    How to use offline files in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307853

    > I have disabled the Server service but still can not take advantage of
    Fast
    > User Switching. Some additional information, I believe that this problem
    > started to occur after I downloaded some updates from the automatic
    windows
    > update feature. Could one of the downloads have changed some settings in
    > Windows XP and make the program believe that the computer is networked?
    Not
    > sure which update that it was though. Would the safest thing be to just
    take
    > off all the downloads and download all of them again. OR is there a way
    > reset all of the settings in windows to a "default" setting?
    >
    > "Juan" wrote:
    >
    > > I believe the fast user switching is disabled in a network enviroment so
    if
    > > you have made changes in System\Comp name like modify the workgroup or
    > > computer name, you may have made your computer think it's in a network,
    that
    > > coul have disabled the fast user switching. The Server service is only
    > > usefull in a network enviroment so there's no need to have it running
    and it
    > > also may be causing the computer to think it's networked specially if
    you
    > > have done something else to reinforce that. Disabling the Server
    service
    > > alone should gray out the network ID in System\Comp name and take care
    of
    > > things. I have proved this recently.

Windows XP