Fast User Account Switching

When I try to switch user accounts on Win XP without logging one of the users
out I can not do it. I have fast user switching turned on as well as Use the
welcome screen. The only thing that happens is the welcome screen will show
and when I try to click on a non active account the screen will flash and
return to the welcome screen. What could I have done to the program to make
it operate this way and how can I fix the problem?

Thank you for your concern.

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

Is this a standalone computer?
Have you configured services?
Have you configured System\Computer Name\Network ID or computer name?

If it is a standalone computer,.. is the Server service enabled?.
(Start\Run\services.msc\Server)

"One Trilogy" <One Trilogy@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
> When I try to switch user accounts on Win XP without logging one of the
users
> out I can not do it. I have fast user switching turned on as well as Use
the
> welcome screen. The only thing that happens is the welcome screen will
show
> and when I try to click on a non active account the screen will flash and
> return to the welcome screen. What could I have done to the program to
make
> it operate this way and how can I fix the problem?
>
> Thank you for your concern.

Yes, the server service is enabled (the status says started) and the PC is
not networked. Not sure what you mean by have I configured services though.
However since your line of questioning looks like that would concern the
computer being networked I don't think it matters.
Could I have set the computer to think that it is on a network when it is
really not? Where do I look to be sure that it is not set up this way.

"Juan" wrote:

> Is this a standalone computer?
> Have you configured services?
> Have you configured System\Computer Name\Network ID or computer name?
>
> If it is a standalone computer,.. is the Server service enabled?.
> (Start\Run\services.msc\Server)

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

I believe the fast user switching is disabled in a network enviroment so if
you have made changes in System\Comp name like modify the workgroup or
computer name, you may have made your computer think it's in a network, that
coul have disabled the fast user switching. The Server service is only
usefull in a network enviroment so there's no need to have it running and it
also may be causing the computer to think it's networked specially if you
have done something else to reinforce that. Disabling the Server service
alone should gray out the network ID in System\Comp name and take care of
things. I have proved this recently.

Greetings.

> Yes, the server service is enabled (the status says started) and the PC is
> not networked. Not sure what you mean by have I configured services
though.
> However since your line of questioning looks like that would concern the
> computer being networked I don't think it matters.
> Could I have set the computer to think that it is on a network when it is
> really not? Where do I look to be sure that it is not set up this way.
>
> "Juan" wrote:
>
> > Is this a standalone computer?
> > Have you configured services?
> > Have you configured System\Computer Name\Network ID or computer name?
> >
> > If it is a standalone computer,.. is the Server service enabled?.
> > (Start\Run\services.msc\Server)

I have disabled the Server service but still can not take advantage of Fast
User Switching. Some additional information, I believe that this problem
started to occur after I downloaded some updates from the automatic windows
update feature. Could one of the downloads have changed some settings in
Windows XP and make the program believe that the computer is networked? Not
sure which update that it was though. Would the safest thing be to just take
off all the downloads and download all of them again. OR is there a way to
reset all of the settings in windows to a "default" setting?

"Juan" wrote:

> I believe the fast user switching is disabled in a network enviroment so if
> you have made changes in System\Comp name like modify the workgroup or
> computer name, you may have made your computer think it's in a network, that
> coul have disabled the fast user switching. The Server service is only
> usefull in a network enviroment so there's no need to have it running and it
> also may be causing the computer to think it's networked specially if you
> have done something else to reinforce that. Disabling the Server service
> alone should gray out the network ID in System\Comp name and take care of
> things. I have proved this recently.

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

There are a number of reasons that could have disabled the fast user
switching feature, for example; If you have enabled offline files, you may
have installed an application that does not support fast user switching,
some services may be enabled that may be causing the problem, not enough
available resources.. See if any of the following KB articles holds a clue.

How To Use the Fast User Switching Feature in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279765

Architecture of Fast User Switching
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294737/en-us

A Discussion About the Availability of the Fast User Switching Feature
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294739/en-us

How to use offline files in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307853