administrator powers..

i am the administrator on my computer..i have a password pretoected account.
i want to download a program on my account.....but only my account. i dont
want it to b available/visible to ne other user. how do i go about doing
this? thank you - ashley
3 answers Last reply
More about administrator powers

    kiss_my_ash wrote:
    > i am the administrator on my computer..i have a password pretoected
    > account. i want to download a program on my account.....but only my
    > account. i dont want it to b available/visible to ne other user. how
    > do i go about doing this? thank you - ashley

    Are the other users adminstrators?
    Then it truly cannot be done.

    Although the installation of a GOOD application these days gives you a
    choice when installing (available to Everyone or just you) - that usually
    just dictates which start menu it copies the icons to (ALL USERS or yours.)
    You can give the illusion it was installed just for you by putting the icons
    for its use only in your start menu/desktop.. But if anyone else has
    permissions to the folder in which you installed it, then they can run it.
    So you have to be the only administrator and change the file/directory
    permissions in such a way that only you have access to the program.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Install the program in the "My Documents" and make sure the folder is set to
    private. Then delete any shortcuts the program may place in the start menu
    of other users or choose not to install shortcuts at all.

    kiss_my_ash wrote:
    > i am the administrator on my computer..i have a password pretoected
    > account. i want to download a program on my account.....but only my
    > account. i dont want it to b available/visible to ne other user. how
    > do i go about doing this? thank you - ashley

    Shenan Stanley wrote> Are the other users adminstrators?

    Friendly wrote:
    > Install the program in the "My Documents" and make sure the folder is
    > set to private. Then delete any shortcuts the program may place in
    > the start menu of other users or choose not to install shortcuts at
    > all.

    Security by obscurity..

    As I said, you'll accomplish the "illusion" that it was installed just for
    you using the "Friendly" suggestion, but if the other users are
    administrators - an illusion is all it is.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

Microsoft Windows XP