grumps

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

Hi All

I downloaded the demo, and played for a few hours. Great! So I bought the
game (should've waited for the price to drop, like Doom3 did last year, but
I couldn't wait).
Now, I've been playing for a few days (well several hours a day), and all is
running ok. It's not perfect, as the game stutters at various times; but
otherwise it runs ok.

Problem. I'm on the entanglement chapter,
possible spoiler space
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/

I've got to the point where I've set up my gun turrets with the expected
combine onslaught moments away. I'm tooled up, with loads of health. Only
problem, there're only two soldiers. Alyx keeps saying there are loads
coming, but nothing happens. How long do I wait?

I got bored, so stacked a few crates and barrels up, and climbed back onto
the balcony (from where I jumped down), and there she is; Alyx is just
standing there.

I reloaded this chapter from a save game, thinking there was a trigger that
I missed, but it's still the same.

Probably have to go back to this chapter start and play through again.

Grumps wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I downloaded the demo, and played for a few hours. Great! So I bought the
> game (should've waited for the price to drop, like Doom3 did last year, but
> I couldn't wait).
> Now, I've been playing for a few days (well several hours a day), and all is
> running ok. It's not perfect, as the game stutters at various times; but
> otherwise it runs ok.
>
> Problem. I'm on the entanglement chapter,
> possible spoiler space
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
>
> I've got to the point where I've set up my gun turrets with the expected
> combine onslaught moments away. I'm tooled up, with loads of health. Only
> problem, there're only two soldiers. Alyx keeps saying there are loads
> coming, but nothing happens. How long do I wait?
>
> I got bored, so stacked a few crates and barrels up, and climbed back onto
> the balcony (from where I jumped down), and there she is; Alyx is just
> standing there.
>
> I reloaded this chapter from a save game, thinking there was a trigger that
> I missed, but it's still the same.
>
> Probably have to go back to this chapter start and play through again.

Something you should know about how this scene works. After you kill
several Combine soldiers, the game spawns a few more out of sight and
they come rushing in to continue the fight. This keeps going on several
times until Alyx finally comes to the rescue.

If the soldiers already spawned aren't killed, more soldiers will never
appear. You say there are only two soldiers. Assuming you killed them,
if nothing happens you should look around to see if there are any more
that are stuck or waiting to ambush you. Noclip around the place to find
them if necessary. Alyx is standing there because she's meant to drop
down to you once you've killed all the soldiers.

My suggestions: kill the existing soldiers, search for stuck soldiers
(particularly around force-field areas), and make sure you've also
set-up the three turrets. IIRC the third turret is the trigger for the
Combine to begin flooding the area.

grumps

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> [...]
> >

> Something you should know about how this scene works. After you kill
> several Combine soldiers, the game spawns a few more out of sight and
> they come rushing in to continue the fight. This keeps going on several
> times until Alyx finally comes to the rescue.
>
> If the soldiers already spawned aren't killed, more soldiers will never
> appear. You say there are only two soldiers. Assuming you killed them,
> if nothing happens you should look around to see if there are any more
> that are stuck or waiting to ambush you. Noclip around the place to find
> them if necessary. Alyx is standing there because she's meant to drop
> down to you once you've killed all the soldiers.
>
> My suggestions: kill the existing soldiers, search for stuck soldiers
> (particularly around force-field areas), and make sure you've also
> set-up the three turrets. IIRC the third turret is the trigger for the

Thanks. Well, that was my first thought too. I set up the turrets, and ran
around checking everywhere for trapped soldiers.

I eventually restarted the chapter (not from a save game point), and it
worked fine. Maybe the turrets weren't in the right place on my first time
through (although I would've guessed that you could put them anywhere).

Anyway, I'm through it now. A little battle damaged, but Alyx hasn't even
got a scratch!

Oh she's been hurt and has a bandage on... Didn't you see that white
string sticking out from her pants zipper....

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 23:37:24 -0000, "Gruels"
<grumpsnothere@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> that are stuck or waiting to ambush you. Noclip around the place to find
>> them if necessary. Alyx is standing there because she's meant to drop
>> down to you once you've killed all the soldiers.
>>
>> My suggestions: kill the existing soldiers, search for stuck soldiers
>> (particularly around force-field areas), and make sure you've also
>> set-up the three turrets. IIRC the third turret is the trigger for the
>> Combine to begin flooding the area.
>
>Thanks. Well, that was my first thought too. I set up the turrets, and ran
>around checking everywhere for trapped soldiers.
>
>I eventually restarted the chapter (not from a save game point), and it
>worked fine. Maybe the turrets weren't in the right place on my first time
>through (although I would've guessed that you could put them anywhere).
>
>Anyway, I'm through it now. A little battle damaged, but Alyx hasn't even

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Grumps wrote:
> Thanks. Well, that was my first thought too. I set up the turrets, and ran
> around checking everywhere for trapped soldiers.
>
> I eventually restarted the chapter (not from a save game point), and it
> worked fine. Maybe the turrets weren't in the right place on my first time
> through (although I would've guessed that you could put them anywhere).
>
> Anyway, I'm through it now. A little battle damaged, but Alyx hasn't even
> got a scratch!

That's got the bitch didn't bother to appear until AFTER the fighting
was over. :)

For future playthroughs, you may like to know this little trick: instead
of fighting and exposing yourself to damage (as well as having your
turrets knocked down all the time), take each turret, turn them around
and place them back in their metal alcoves with the muzzle facing out
towards the open area. You'll note there is a forth alcove that you can
hide in yourself. When the soldiers start coming though, they will not
be able to knock down the turrets at all and you'll be protected very
well by your surrounding. The soldiers will get cut down by the turrets
and you'll be able to finish off anyone else you see in relative comfort.

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Oh she's been hurt and has a bandage on... Didn't you see that white
> string sticking out from her pants zipper....

I never say any white string, although I DID notice how Valve took the
time to give Alyx purple panties.

"Grumps" <grumpsnothere@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I downloaded the demo, and played for a few hours. Great! So I bought
> the game (should've waited for the price to drop, like Doom3 did last
> year, but I couldn't wait).
> Now, I've been playing for a few days (well several hours a day), and
> all is running ok. It's not perfect, as the game stutters at various
> times; but otherwise it runs ok.
>
> Problem. I'm on the entanglement chapter,
> possible spoiler space
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
> \/
>
> I've got to the point where I've set up my gun turrets with the
> expected combine onslaught moments away. I'm tooled up, with loads of
> health. Only problem, there're only two soldiers. Alyx keeps saying
> there are loads coming, but nothing happens. How long do I wait?
>
> I got bored, so stacked a few crates and barrels up, and climbed back
> onto the balcony (from where I jumped down), and there she is; Alyx
> is just standing there.
>
> I reloaded this chapter from a save game, thinking there was a
> trigger that I missed, but it's still the same.
>
> Probably have to go back to this chapter start and play through again.

Somehow a trigger was missed. You can go to the console and type
"restart" and that level will 'reset' and start over. Different then
'reload'.
McG.

This has been discussed on an other thread as well. My solution was to
build a den to hide in, with the turrets peeking over the top. If the
combine don't see you, they don't use greandes, so you can just crouch
out of site and wait it out. I didn't take a single hit.

Another option, (which I haven't tried, but if it works you've got to
give credit for sheer audacity) is to put the turrets on the balcony
where you first enter. Put all three up there and wait round the corner
for the gunfire to stop.

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote
> take each turret, turn them around
> and place them back in their metal alcoves with the muzzle
> facing out towards the open area.

I set up a base in the empty cell with the light on, wedged
the turrets up with barrels and crates, grabbed the last turret
and ran like the clappers for my "den". I also had an extra turret
I'd brought from the previous place. I just sat there with my grav
gun waiting for the manhacks. I'll try using the alcoves next time,
sounds like a lot less hassle.
--
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

"David Firewater" <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote
>> take each turret, turn them around
>> and place them back in their metal alcoves with the muzzle
>> facing out towards the open area.
>
> I set up a base in the empty cell with the light on, wedged
> the turrets up with barrels and crates, grabbed the last turret
> and ran like the clappers for my "den". I also had an extra turret
> I'd brought from the previous place. I just sat there with my grav
> gun waiting for the manhacks. I'll try using the alcoves next time,
> sounds like a lot less hassle.

I just went through Entanglement again. In the first place in the red
'H' corridors, where Alyx jumps down off the second level to join you
after all the fighting is done, I finally tried this idea. I just
turned each of the guns around in their own alcove then got in the
remaining empty one and was being shot at as I backed in :) But the
turrets go a pretty good job. I found that they get shot up pretty
bad. I still lost most of my health, but me and the turrets did well!
LOL! I couldn't just stand there, there was some jerk always putting
his face in view. I didn't bother counting, but there were a BUNCH of
the guys. I think 3 waves. It was fun. Now that I have done a full
save game at the start of this one, I'll try a few different ways.
Once ya grab that third turret, things get pretty busy for a while.
I usually dread going through Entanglement, cause either me or Alyx gets
killed, red screen then reload. I guess this was the first time I got
to enjoy going all the way through to getting in the teleporter with
Alyx (love that part! :) ).
Is there any way to keep ALL the bodies, keep them from disintegrating?
There'd be a real pile of them in this level.
McG.

"David Firewater" <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I set up a base in the empty cell with the light on, wedged
> the turrets up with barrels and crates, grabbed the last turret
> and ran like the clappers for my "den". I also had an extra turret
> I'd brought from the previous place. I just sat there with my grav
> gun waiting for the manhacks. I'll try using the alcoves next time,
> sounds like a lot less hassle.

It works nicely as a fallback, though you still have to kill some
combine. You can get by without any fighting at all till the end
by first moving some crates over to that cell, picking up/
putting down the turrets, then running back to the cell and
stacking the crates in the doorway. If they don't see you,
they all just fight with the turrets and most kill themselves/
each other with grenades. The manhacks never show up.

> "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote
> > take each turret, turn them around
> > and place them back in their metal alcoves with the muzzle
> > facing out towards the open area.

How do you do this? There's not enough room to turn them
around. I can't even turn them sideways. It doesn't seem to
matter, though, as for some reason, when you stay in that
cubby, the combine are more interested in the turrets than you
even if they aren't being shot at by them.

"nutt" <octaviola@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "David Firewater" <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I set up a base in the empty cell with the light on, wedged
>> the turrets up with barrels and crates, grabbed the last turret
>> and ran like the clappers for my "den". I also had an extra turret
>> I'd brought from the previous place. I just sat there with my grav
>> gun waiting for the manhacks. I'll try using the alcoves next time,
>> sounds like a lot less hassle.
>
> It works nicely as a fallback, though you still have to kill some
> combine. You can get by without any fighting at all till the end
> by first moving some crates over to that cell, picking up/
> putting down the turrets, then running back to the cell and
> stacking the crates in the doorway. If they don't see you,
> they all just fight with the turrets and most kill themselves/
> each other with grenades. The manhacks never show up.
>
>> "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote
>> > take each turret, turn them around
>> > and place them back in their metal alcoves with the muzzle
>> > facing out towards the open area.
>
> How do you do this? There's not enough room to turn them
> around. I can't even turn them sideways. It doesn't seem to
> matter, though, as for some reason, when you stay in that
> cubby, the combine are more interested in the turrets than you
> even if they aren't being shot at by them.

Take the turret out, set it down, walk to the other side of it and pick it
back up. You then place it in the alcove. Repeat 3 times then get in the
empty one. I did it this way 3 different times and only had to shotgun a
couple combines and GG a couple manhacks. No health/armor loss at all.

nutt wrote:
>>"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote
>>
>>>take each turret, turn them around
>>>and place them back in their metal alcoves with the muzzle
>>>facing out towards the open area.
>

> How do you do this? There's not enough room to turn them
> around. I can't even turn them sideways. It doesn't seem to
> matter, though, as for some reason, when you stay in that
> cubby, the combine are more interested in the turrets than you
> even if they aren't being shot at by them.

Well, take them completely out, walk around them until the muzzle's
facing your chest, then pick them up and place them back. Simple. I
didn't even need that much room.

Tip: USE YOUR HANDS. Don't use the grav gun.

> nutt wrote:
> >>"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote

> > How do you do this? There's not enough room to turn them
> > around. I can't even turn them sideways. It doesn't seem to
> > matter, though, as for some reason, when you stay in that
> > cubby, the combine are more interested in the turrets than you
> > even if they aren't being shot at by them.

> Well, take them completely out, walk around them until the muzzle's
> facing your chest, then pick them up and place them back. Simple. I
> didn't even need that much room.

Oh yeah. Duh. I was trying to do it quickly so I could run to the cell
and do it "my way". Only fell back to this method after I was found
out. Works well even if the turrets are facing the back oddly enough.