Olympus Stylus MJU 400 / 410

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 21, 2004 11:35:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi

I am thinking of buying the Olympus Stylus MJU 400 or 410 Digital Camera.

Has anybody got first hand experience of these cameras?

Most of the reviews that I can find in the photographic press give these
cameras good reviews, however there are quite a number of reviews from
individual users that tell a different story. The main criticisms are that
there is a lot of noise in pictures taken in low light conditions; also the
pictures taken are not very sharp.

The camera would be mainly used for taking snaps of my kids.

I am attracted to this camera for the following reasons

Small size

Strong sliding lens cover - some lens covers look very flimsy - I would want
to keep the camera in pocket all the time, preferably without a case.

This would be my first digital camera - although I have done a lot of
photography with film cameras

Any views comments would be appreciated.

Thanks Howard
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 11:35:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I just purchased a Olympus C-5000 a couple of weeks ago. I would
probably classify myself as "advanced amateur," having done
photography (film) for 50+ years on all sorts of stuff. The C-5000 has
a lens cap, but allows you to do fully automated, or over ride with
whatever degree of manual control you wish, so you can run it like a
"real" camera. I haven't tried it in low light conditions, but there
is a "noise reduction" mode -- increased shutter speed -- that might
address the issue -- I bet it "averages" the value of a pixel.

I got mine from B&H photo in NYC. I do need an extra memory card, and
a spare battery, as I'm taking a trip to Europe shortly.
May 22, 2004 2:18:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Great camera for your intended use. I have a c5050 & and want a smaller
pocket cam...the MJU400 is my pick of the current range in my opinion.

"Howard Funnell" <funnell@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>

> I am thinking of buying the Olympus Stylus MJU 400 or 410 Digital Camera.
>

> Has anybody got first hand experience of these cameras?
>

> Most of the reviews that I can find in the photographic press give these
> cameras good reviews, however there are quite a number of reviews from
> individual users that tell a different story. The main criticisms are that
> there is a lot of noise in pictures taken in low light conditions; also
the
> pictures taken are not very sharp.
>

> The camera would be mainly used for taking snaps of my kids.
>

> I am attracted to this camera for the following reasons
>

> Small size
>

> Strong sliding lens cover - some lens covers look very flimsy - I would
want
> to keep the camera in pocket all the time, preferably without a case.
>

> This would be my first digital camera - although I have done a lot of
> photography with film cameras
>

> Any views comments would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks Howard

May 22, 2004 1:25:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks for the reply

The Olympus C-5000 looks a lot bigger than than the MJU 400

"Paul W. Ross" <pross@dejazzd.com> wrote in message
> I just purchased a Olympus C-5000 a couple of weeks ago. I would
> probably classify myself as "advanced amateur," having done
> photography (film) for 50+ years on all sorts of stuff. The C-5000 has
> a lens cap, but allows you to do fully automated, or over ride with
> whatever degree of manual control you wish, so you can run it like a
> "real" camera. I haven't tried it in low light conditions, but there
> is a "noise reduction" mode -- increased shutter speed -- that might
> address the issue -- I bet it "averages" the value of a pixel.
>
> I got mine from B&H photo in NYC. I do need an extra memory card, and
> a spare battery, as I'm taking a trip to Europe shortly.
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 1:27:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks for the reply

Do you own one or are you about to buy one?

!