Olympus Stylus MJU 400 / 410

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi

I am thinking of buying the Olympus Stylus MJU 400 or 410 Digital Camera.

Has anybody got first hand experience of these cameras?

Most of the reviews that I can find in the photographic press give these
cameras good reviews, however there are quite a number of reviews from
individual users that tell a different story. The main criticisms are that
there is a lot of noise in pictures taken in low light conditions; also the
pictures taken are not very sharp.

The camera would be mainly used for taking snaps of my kids.

I am attracted to this camera for the following reasons

Small size

Strong sliding lens cover - some lens covers look very flimsy - I would want
to keep the camera in pocket all the time, preferably without a case.

This would be my first digital camera - although I have done a lot of
photography with film cameras

Any views comments would be appreciated.

Thanks Howard
4 answers Last reply
More about olympus stylus
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    I just purchased a Olympus C-5000 a couple of weeks ago. I would
    probably classify myself as "advanced amateur," having done
    photography (film) for 50+ years on all sorts of stuff. The C-5000 has
    a lens cap, but allows you to do fully automated, or over ride with
    whatever degree of manual control you wish, so you can run it like a
    "real" camera. I haven't tried it in low light conditions, but there
    is a "noise reduction" mode -- increased shutter speed -- that might
    address the issue -- I bet it "averages" the value of a pixel.

    I got mine from B&H photo in NYC. I do need an extra memory card, and
    a spare battery, as I'm taking a trip to Europe shortly.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Great camera for your intended use. I have a c5050 & and want a smaller
    pocket cam...the MJU400 is my pick of the current range in my opinion.

    "Howard Funnell" <funnell@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >

    > I am thinking of buying the Olympus Stylus MJU 400 or 410 Digital Camera.
    >

    > Has anybody got first hand experience of these cameras?
    >

    > Most of the reviews that I can find in the photographic press give these
    > cameras good reviews, however there are quite a number of reviews from
    > individual users that tell a different story. The main criticisms are that
    > there is a lot of noise in pictures taken in low light conditions; also
    the
    > pictures taken are not very sharp.
    >

    > The camera would be mainly used for taking snaps of my kids.
    >

    > I am attracted to this camera for the following reasons
    >

    > Small size
    >

    > Strong sliding lens cover - some lens covers look very flimsy - I would
    want
    > to keep the camera in pocket all the time, preferably without a case.
    >

    > This would be my first digital camera - although I have done a lot of
    > photography with film cameras
    >

    > Any views comments would be appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks Howard

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Thanks for the reply

    The Olympus C-5000 looks a lot bigger than than the MJU 400

    "Paul W. Ross" <pross@dejazzd.com> wrote in message
    > I just purchased a Olympus C-5000 a couple of weeks ago. I would
    > probably classify myself as "advanced amateur," having done
    > photography (film) for 50+ years on all sorts of stuff. The C-5000 has
    > a lens cap, but allows you to do fully automated, or over ride with
    > whatever degree of manual control you wish, so you can run it like a
    > "real" camera. I haven't tried it in low light conditions, but there
    > is a "noise reduction" mode -- increased shutter speed -- that might
    > address the issue -- I bet it "averages" the value of a pixel.
    >
    > I got mine from B&H photo in NYC. I do need an extra memory card, and
    > a spare battery, as I'm taking a trip to Europe shortly.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Thanks for the reply

    Do you own one or are you about to buy one?

    "john" <blahblah@blahblah.com> wrote in message
    > Great camera for your intended use. I have a c5050 & and want a smaller
    > pocket cam...the MJU400 is my pick of the current range in my opinion.
    >

    > "Howard Funnell" <funnell@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >

    > > I am thinking of buying the Olympus Stylus MJU 400 or 410 Digital
    Camera.

    > > Has anybody got first hand experience of these cameras?
    > >

    > > Most of the reviews that I can find in the photographic press give these
    > > cameras good reviews, however there are quite a number of reviews from
    > > individual users that tell a different story. The main criticisms are
    that
    > > there is a lot of noise in pictures taken in low light conditions; also
    > the
    > > pictures taken are not very sharp.
    > >

    > > The camera would be mainly used for taking snaps of my kids.
    > >

    > > I am attracted to this camera for the following reasons
    > >

    > > Small size
    > >

    > > Strong sliding lens cover - some lens covers look very flimsy - I would
    > want
    > > to keep the camera in pocket all the time, preferably without a case.
    > >

    > > This would be my first digital camera - although I have done a lot of
    > > photography with film cameras
    > >

    > > Any views comments would be appreciated.
    > >

    > > Thanks Howard

Cameras Olympus Peripherals