unknown user account on home network

had to reinstall my home network because i could no longer access my other
computer. when reinstalled, I now have a guest named ADAM that shows as
another computer ADAM\guest. I cannot access this account even though I am
the system administrator and guest accounts are turned off. who is it and how
did he get there? How do i get rid of ADAM
7 answers Last reply
More about unknown user account home network

    "earendel" <earendel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > had to reinstall my home network because i could no longer access my other
    > computer. when reinstalled, I now have a guest named ADAM that shows as
    > another computer ADAM\guest. I cannot access this account even though I am
    > the system administrator and guest accounts are turned off. who is it and
    how
    > did he get there? How do i get rid of ADAM

    You wouldn't happen to have been connected to the internet
    without a router or firewall of some kind when you did the
    new install did you ?? If so, you might want to search back
    several days ( I think it was in this group or the general group)
    that was named something like "12 minutes to infected" (and the
    follow-ups from people who said they had it happen in less than
    a minute. If you weren't connected to the outside, then I don't
    have any idea how you ended up with "Adam" on your machine.

    mikey

    "Mike Fields" wrote:

    > "earendel" <earendel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > had to reinstall my home network because i could no longer access my other
    > > computer. when reinstalled, I now have a guest named ADAM that shows as
    > > another computer ADAM\guest. I cannot access this account even though I am
    > > the system administrator and guest accounts are turned off. who is it and
    > how
    > > did he get there? How do i get rid of ADAM
    >
    > You wouldn't happen to have been connected to the internet
    > without a router or firewall of some kind when you did the
    > new install did you ?? If so, you might want to search back
    > several days ( I think it was in this group or the general group)
    > that was named something like "12 minutes to infected" (and the
    > follow-ups from people who said they had it happen in less than
    > a minute. If you weren't connected to the outside, then I don't
    > have any idea how you ended up with "Adam" on your machine.
    >
    > mikey
    >

    > Thanks for the repy mikey,
    My firewall was down for about 20 minutes while i reconfigured. Damn, I
    still need to obliterate ADAM, how do I get rid of him? Lesson learned -
    never take down firewall with a live broadband connection.

    From: "earendel" <earendel@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | My firewall was down for about 20 minutes while i reconfigured. Damn, I
    | still need to obliterate ADAM, how do I get rid of him? Lesson learned -
    | never take down firewall with a live broadband connection.

    If you are connected to Broadband Internet, a Router is highly desired. Its NAT
    capabilities act as a simplistic FireWall and many have full FireWalls built in. In
    addition, they also have FireWall constructs built in such as port blocking.

    As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.
    This will keep hackers and Internet worms out and keep your PC MS Networking from leaking
    out.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > Wrom: UWLSZLKBRNVWWCUFPEGAUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNNSK
    >

    > | My firewall was down for about 20 minutes while i reconfigured. Damn, I
    > | still need to obliterate ADAM, how do I get rid of him? Lesson learned -
    > | never take down firewall with a live broadband connection.
    >
    > If you are connected to Broadband Internet, a Router is highly desired. Its NAT
    > capabilities act as a simplistic FireWall and many have full FireWalls built in. In
    > addition, they also have FireWall constructs built in such as port blocking.
    >
    > As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.
    > This will keep hackers and Internet worms out and keep your PC MS Networking from leaking
    > out.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    >

    > Thank you Dave,
    We have a dell wireless router and it has an active firewall, however, I
    still have the problem which I will resolve thanks to your links. I will take
    your advise and block the ports you recommended. First you make the mistake;
    Then you get the lesson. I will be more carefull in the future.

    From: "earendel" <earendel@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | We have a dell wireless router and it has an active firewall, however, I
    | still have the problem which I will resolve thanks to your links. I will take
    | your advise and block the ports you recommended. First you make the mistake;
    | Then you get the lesson. I will be more carefull in the future.

    Wireless Routers *must* be secured.

    Here's why...

    ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Police have arrested a man for using someone else's
    wireless Internet network in one of the first criminal cases involving this
    fairly common practice.

    Benjamin Smith III, 41, faces a pretrial hearing this month following his
    April arrest on charges of unauthorized access to a computer network, a
    third-degree felony.
    Police say Smith admitted using the Wi-Fi signal from the home of Richard
    Dinon, who had noticed Smith sitting in an SUV outside Dinon's house using a
    laptop computer.

    The practice is so new that the Florida Department of Law Enforcement
    doesn't even keep statistics, according to the St. Petersburg Times, which
    reported Smith's arrest this week.

    Innocuous use of other people's unsecured Wi-Fi networks is common, though
    experts say that plenty of illegal use also goes undetected: such as people
    sneaking on others' networks to traffic in child pornography, steal credit
    card information and send death threats.

    Security experts say people can prevent such access by turning on encryption
    or requiring passwords, but few bother or are unsure how to do so.

    Wi-Fi, short for Wireless Fidelity, has enjoyed prolific growth since 2000.
    Millions of households have set up wireless home networks that give people
    like Dinon the ability to use the Web from their backyards but also reach
    the house next door or down the street.

    It's not clear why Smith was using Dinon's network. Prosecutors declined to
    comment, and a working phone number could not be located for Smith.