Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

unknown user account on home network

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 9, 2005 9:06:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

had to reinstall my home network because i could no longer access my other
computer. when reinstalled, I now have a guest named ADAM that shows as
another computer ADAM\guest. I cannot access this account even though I am
the system administrator and guest accounts are turned off. who is it and how
did he get there? How do i get rid of ADAM
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 10, 2005 3:32:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"earendel" <earendel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:26777DA2-85F9-46FF-8B74-6156BB04B1DA@microsoft.com...
> had to reinstall my home network because i could no longer access my other
> computer. when reinstalled, I now have a guest named ADAM that shows as
> another computer ADAM\guest. I cannot access this account even though I am
> the system administrator and guest accounts are turned off. who is it and
how
> did he get there? How do i get rid of ADAM

You wouldn't happen to have been connected to the internet
without a router or firewall of some kind when you did the
new install did you ?? If so, you might want to search back
several days ( I think it was in this group or the general group)
that was named something like "12 minutes to infected" (and the
follow-ups from people who said they had it happen in less than
a minute. If you weren't connected to the outside, then I don't
have any idea how you ended up with "Adam" on your machine.

mikey
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 10, 2005 9:59:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"Mike Fields" wrote:

>
> "earendel" <earendel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:26777DA2-85F9-46FF-8B74-6156BB04B1DA@microsoft.com...
> > had to reinstall my home network because i could no longer access my other
> > computer. when reinstalled, I now have a guest named ADAM that shows as
> > another computer ADAM\guest. I cannot access this account even though I am
> > the system administrator and guest accounts are turned off. who is it and
> how
> > did he get there? How do i get rid of ADAM
>
> You wouldn't happen to have been connected to the internet
> without a router or firewall of some kind when you did the
> new install did you ?? If so, you might want to search back
> several days ( I think it was in this group or the general group)
> that was named something like "12 minutes to infected" (and the
> follow-ups from people who said they had it happen in less than
> a minute. If you weren't connected to the outside, then I don't
> have any idea how you ended up with "Adam" on your machine.
>
> mikey
>
>
> Thanks for the repy mikey,
My firewall was down for about 20 minutes while i reconfigured. Damn, I
still need to obliterate ADAM, how do I get rid of him? Lesson learned -
never take down firewall with a live broadband connection.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 10, 2005 1:11:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

From: "earendel" <earendel@discussions.microsoft.com>


| My firewall was down for about 20 minutes while i reconfigured. Damn, I
| still need to obliterate ADAM, how do I get rid of him? Lesson learned -
| never take down firewall with a live broadband connection.

If you are connected to Broadband Internet, a Router is highly desired. Its NAT
capabilities act as a simplistic FireWall and many have full FireWalls built in. In
addition, they also have FireWall constructs built in such as port blocking.

As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.
This will keep hackers and Internet worms out and keep your PC MS Networking from leaking
out.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 10, 2005 1:11:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> Wrom: UWLSZLKBRNVWWCUFPEGAUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNNSK
>
>
> | My firewall was down for about 20 minutes while i reconfigured. Damn, I
> | still need to obliterate ADAM, how do I get rid of him? Lesson learned -
> | never take down firewall with a live broadband connection.
>
> If you are connected to Broadband Internet, a Router is highly desired. Its NAT
> capabilities act as a simplistic FireWall and many have full FireWalls built in. In
> addition, they also have FireWall constructs built in such as port blocking.
>
> As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.
> This will keep hackers and Internet worms out and keep your PC MS Networking from leaking
> out.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>
> Thank you Dave,
We have a dell wireless router and it has an active firewall, however, I
still have the problem which I will resolve thanks to your links. I will take
your advise and block the ports you recommended. First you make the mistake;
Then you get the lesson. I will be more carefull in the future.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 10, 2005 2:29:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

From: "earendel" <earendel@discussions.microsoft.com>


| We have a dell wireless router and it has an active firewall, however, I
| still have the problem which I will resolve thanks to your links. I will take
| your advise and block the ports you recommended. First you make the mistake;
| Then you get the lesson. I will be more carefull in the future.

Wireless Routers *must* be secured.

Here's why...




ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Police have arrested a man for using someone else's
wireless Internet network in one of the first criminal cases involving this
fairly common practice.

Benjamin Smith III, 41, faces a pretrial hearing this month following his
April arrest on charges of unauthorized access to a computer network, a
third-degree felony.
Police say Smith admitted using the Wi-Fi signal from the home of Richard
Dinon, who had noticed Smith sitting in an SUV outside Dinon's house using a
laptop computer.

The practice is so new that the Florida Department of Law Enforcement
doesn't even keep statistics, according to the St. Petersburg Times, which
reported Smith's arrest this week.

Innocuous use of other people's unsecured Wi-Fi networks is common, though
experts say that plenty of illegal use also goes undetected: such as people
sneaking on others' networks to traffic in child pornography, steal credit
card information and send death threats.

Security experts say people can prevent such access by turning on encryption
or requiring passwords, but few bother or are unsure how to do so.

Wi-Fi, short for Wireless Fidelity, has enjoyed prolific growth since 2000.
Millions of households have set up wireless home networks that give people
like Dinon the ability to use the Web from their backyards but also reach
the house next door or down the street.

It's not clear why Smith was using Dinon's network. Prosecutors declined to
comment, and a working phone number could not be located for Smith.

References:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050707/ap_on_hi_te/techbit...;_ylt=Au3hQCXV7YgDv5awkq7YVIVj24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/04/State/Wi_Fi_cloaks_a_...

The act of seeking out unsecured WiFi sites is known as "War Driving". The FireWall
protects the WAN/LAN interface. Howeveer, if WiFi is unsecured then the hacker/attacker is
not coming from the WAN side of the equation, he is on the LAN side and is within the
FireWall enclave and the FireWall is a moot point. It's like loocking the door to keep
crooks out but the crook is already indide the house when you locked the door.

http://www.wardriving.com/


--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 10, 2005 10:31:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> Wrom: KMBIPBARHDMNNSKVFVWRKJVZCMHVIBGDADRZFSQHYUCDDJB
>
>
> | We have a dell wireless router and it has an active firewall, however, I
> | still have the problem which I will resolve thanks to your links. I will take
> | your advise and block the ports you recommended. First you make the mistake;
> | Then you get the lesson. I will be more carefull in the future.
>
> Wireless Routers *must* be secured.
>
> Here's why...
>
>
>
>
> ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Police have arrested a man for using someone else's
> wireless Internet network in one of the first criminal cases involving this
> fairly common practice.
>
> Benjamin Smith III, 41, faces a pretrial hearing this month following his
> April arrest on charges of unauthorized access to a computer network, a
> third-degree felony.
> Police say Smith admitted using the Wi-Fi signal from the home of Richard
> Dinon, who had noticed Smith sitting in an SUV outside Dinon's house using a
> laptop computer.
>
> The practice is so new that the Florida Department of Law Enforcement
> doesn't even keep statistics, according to the St. Petersburg Times, which
> reported Smith's arrest this week.
>
> Innocuous use of other people's unsecured Wi-Fi networks is common, though
> experts say that plenty of illegal use also goes undetected: such as people
> sneaking on others' networks to traffic in child pornography, steal credit
> card information and send death threats.
>
> Security experts say people can prevent such access by turning on encryption
> or requiring passwords, but few bother or are unsure how to do so.
>
> Wi-Fi, short for Wireless Fidelity, has enjoyed prolific growth since 2000.
> Millions of households have set up wireless home networks that give people
> like Dinon the ability to use the Web from their backyards but also reach
> the house next door or down the street.
>
> It's not clear why Smith was using Dinon's network. Prosecutors declined to
> comment, and a working phone number could not be located for Smith.
>
> References:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050707/ap_on_hi_te/techbit...;_ylt=Au3hQCXV7YgDv5awkq7YVIVj24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
> http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/04/State/Wi_Fi_cloaks_a_...
>
> The act of seeking out unsecured WiFi sites is known as "War Driving". The FireWall
> protects the WAN/LAN interface. Howeveer, if WiFi is unsecured then the hacker/attacker is
> not coming from the WAN side of the equation, he is on the LAN side and is within the
> FireWall enclave and the FireWall is a moot point. It's like loocking the door to keep
> crooks out but the crook is already indide the house when you locked the door.
>
> http://www.wardriving.com/
>
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>
> Thanks Dave,
You guys have been a big help - ADAM is GONE! and I have followed
everybodies advice to the letter. wireless router has security encrytion now
enabled, hope that is enough. If there is anything else, please let me know.
I really appreciate the time you all have given this. Thanks again
Art
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 11, 2005 1:28:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

You can turn on mac filtering and only allow mac address from your computers
and devices to access the lan. Its just an additional security measure. Also
periodocally check you dhcp client list to make sure there are no
unauthorized uesrs on your connection. This procedure depends on your setup,
the manual or the manufacture of your router can tell you how this is done.

D


"earendel" <earendel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0318D7A1-3F2C-4FF3-B79D-00FC6E981F76@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "David H. Lipman" wrote:
>
> > Wrom: KMBIPBARHDMNNSKVFVWRKJVZCMHVIBGDADRZFSQHYUCDDJB
> >
> >
> > | We have a dell wireless router and it has an active firewall, however,
I
> > | still have the problem which I will resolve thanks to your links. I
will take
> > | your advise and block the ports you recommended. First you make the
mistake;
> > | Then you get the lesson. I will be more carefull in the future.
> >
> > Wireless Routers *must* be secured.
> >
> > Here's why...
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Police have arrested a man for using someone
else's
> > wireless Internet network in one of the first criminal cases involving
this
> > fairly common practice.
> >
> > Benjamin Smith III, 41, faces a pretrial hearing this month following
his
> > April arrest on charges of unauthorized access to a computer network, a
> > third-degree felony.
> > Police say Smith admitted using the Wi-Fi signal from the home of
Richard
> > Dinon, who had noticed Smith sitting in an SUV outside Dinon's house
using a
> > laptop computer.
> >
> > The practice is so new that the Florida Department of Law Enforcement
> > doesn't even keep statistics, according to the St. Petersburg Times,
which
> > reported Smith's arrest this week.
> >
> > Innocuous use of other people's unsecured Wi-Fi networks is common,
though
> > experts say that plenty of illegal use also goes undetected: such as
people
> > sneaking on others' networks to traffic in child pornography, steal
credit
> > card information and send death threats.
> >
> > Security experts say people can prevent such access by turning on
encryption
> > or requiring passwords, but few bother or are unsure how to do so.
> >
> > Wi-Fi, short for Wireless Fidelity, has enjoyed prolific growth since
2000.
> > Millions of households have set up wireless home networks that give
people
> > like Dinon the ability to use the Web from their backyards but also
reach
> > the house next door or down the street.
> >
> > It's not clear why Smith was using Dinon's network. Prosecutors declined
to
> > comment, and a working phone number could not be located for Smith.
> >
> > References:
> >
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050707/ap_on_hi_te/techbit...;_ylt=Au3hQCXV7YgDv5awkq7YVIVj24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
> > http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/04/State/Wi_Fi_cloaks_a_...
> >
> > The act of seeking out unsecured WiFi sites is known as "War Driving".
The FireWall
> > protects the WAN/LAN interface. Howeveer, if WiFi is unsecured then the
hacker/attacker is
> > not coming from the WAN side of the equation, he is on the LAN side and
is within the
> > FireWall enclave and the FireWall is a moot point. It's like loocking
the door to keep
> > crooks out but the crook is already indide the house when you locked the
door.
> >
> > http://www.wardriving.com/
> >
> >
> > --
> > Dave
> > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
> >
> >
> > Thanks Dave,
> You guys have been a big help - ADAM is GONE! and I have followed
> everybodies advice to the letter. wireless router has security encrytion
now
> enabled, hope that is enough. If there is anything else, please let me
know.
> I really appreciate the time you all have given this. Thanks again
> Art
!