GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

i want to get ati rad 9550 128bit, 256 mb card

my p4 PC 2.0gz, 512 ram has 1 agp*4 slot and I see it is advertised with
agp*8 slot

will this work with my pc?

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
>i want to get ati rad 9550 128bit, 256 mb card
>
> my p4 PC 2.0gz, 512 ram has 1 agp*4 slot and I see it is advertised with
> agp*8 slot
>
> will this work with my pc?

yes - it will work fine at 4x AGP - if your motherboard supported 8x then
the graphics card would run at that but
you wouldnt see any differance in performance (trust me)
4x AGP is fine for any game you care to play (Doom 3 etc ) - if you get this
card then download and try the 4.12 drivers from www.ati.com dont bother
with the newer Cats.

geoff

"gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
> i want to get ati rad 9550 128bit, 256 mb card
>
> my p4 PC 2.0gz, 512 ram has 1 agp*4 slot and I see it is
> advertised with agp*8 slot
>
> will this work with my pc?

yup

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message

> if you get this card then download and try the 4.12 drivers from
www.ati.com

> dont bother with the newer Cats.

Why do you say this Sleepy? (ie: the factual/logical premise?)

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"CguLL" <iguana_bwana_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
>
>> if you get this card then download and try the 4.12 drivers from
> www.ati.com
>
>> dont bother with the newer Cats.
>
> Why do you say this Sleepy? (ie: the factual/logical premise?)

The number of posts Ive seen both on this newsgroup and at the Rage3D forums
about ppl having issues with this years Cats and mainstream games like HL2
etc ..
My personal experience is that the 4.12s run great with my 9700 and my
previous card
(a 9100) had issues with the early 4 series Cats that were only solved by
going back to
late 3 series (3.8/3.8). Basically I think that ATI focus on driver support
for most recent cards
and this driver-a-month approach throws up plenty of problems - only 2 or 3
drivers releases
last year were really any good - ie stable for the majority of users and
games.

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

i want a radeon ati 9550 128mb or 256mb, 128 bit

for P4, 2.0gh, 512ram
I want to run decent games and directX9 SDK developing.
I have 4*AGP slot
I dont see the point in getting a really strong card because games that need
a a lot of video will also need a strong CPU. Thats why I question getting a
256mb card

q) whats the difference in brands ef gigabyte, powercolor,asus.. because
there is a big price difference here in OZ with them.

q) can you download directX game demo's of latest games?

q) I like ice/snow terrains, is there agame that has a lot of this?

gp wrote:
> i want a radeon ati 9550 128mb or 256mb, 128 bit
>

> for P4, 2.0gh, 512ram
> I want to run decent games and directX9 SDK developing.
> I have 4*AGP slot
> I dont see the point in getting a really strong card because games that need
> a a lot of video will also need a strong CPU. Thats why I question getting a
> 256mb card

My previous computer was similar to yours and I found for some games
that a better card made a lot of difference. In my case I was playing
Morrowind and the difference in the visuals in the game between a Radeon
7500 and a 9700 Pro was like night and day. I am still using the 9700
Pro with my current 3.4 GHz P4 so I didn't need to upgrade the video
card when I upgraded the system. When I updated to the 9700 Pro it was
the fastest and most powerful card available. In your case you might
want to look at something like the 9600 XT I put in my 2 GHz system for
gaming as it handles all the graphics almost as well as the 9700 Pro.
Of course if you can find a used 9700 Pro or 9800 Pro for a reasonable
price they would be even better. The 9600 XT runs Escape From Butcher
Bay quite well so it has enough power for most of today's games.

> q) whats the difference in brands ef gigabyte, powercolor,asus.. because
> there is a big price difference here in OZ with them.
>
> q) can you download directX game demo's of latest games?

Yes. Eidos, etc. usually have demos on their sites.

> q) I like ice/snow terrains, is there agame that has a lot of this?

The above mentioned Morrowind has a supplement, Bloodmoon, that takes
place entirely on a snow covered land mass. Some of the special affects
are quite good, such as steam and falling snow. You can get the game
now in a Game of the Year edition which has Morrowind and both of the
official supplements.

> i want a radeon ati 9550 128mb or 256mb, 128 bit

> for P4, 2.0gh, 512ram
> I want to run decent games and directX9 SDK developing.
> I have 4*AGP slot
> I dont see the point in getting a really strong card because games that
> need a a lot of video will also need a strong CPU. Thats why I question
> getting a 256mb card
>
> q) whats the difference in brands ef gigabyte, powercolor,asus.. because
> there is a big price difference here in OZ with them.
>
> q) can you download directX game demo's of latest games?
>
> q) I like ice/snow terrains, is there agame that has a lot of this?

The point of having 256mb on the card is soes you can use high detail
textures
in a game like Doom 3 or HL2 but for that to work well you really need more
system RAM too - 1gb instead of 512mb. Do check the exact specs of the card
you choose as manufacturers have the nasty habit of putting slower memory in
their 256mb cards and clocking them slower.
http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/42403/VIDEOCARDS_RADEON_SERIES/PowerColor/-/Radeon_9550_256MB_TV_DVI-I.asp
http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/3239_POWERCOLOR_ATI_Radeon_9550_256MB_TV.asp
these look okay - avoid anything that says SE or 64bit

Project IGI (the first one) - old and now budget but a cracking game that'll
run sweet
at a high res on your rig. IGI2 also has some snowy levels too.

"gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message

> i want a radeon ati 9550 128mb or 256mb, 128 bit

> q) whats the difference in brands ef gigabyte, powercolor,asus.. because
> there is a big price difference here in OZ with them.

Brand & price. You pay the difference for the brand profile, size colour of
the box and 'image'. For the _same spec_, you may as well buy the cheapest.
You can get the best overclocking util for free, and they all use Catalyst.
Memory speed may be an issue if you want to overclock, but most come with
5ns DDR.

There are only a couple of 128MB 9550's available locally. They are hard to
source because they are only a couple of pacific pesos cheaper than the
256MB units. Once you don't want the 9550SE which are nearly all 128MB,
nearly everyone lists the 9550 in 256MB 'flavour' only. Gigabyte do a 128MB
9550, but the cheapest I could find it was with a trader wose online sales
were steam driven, freight was excessive and in all $3- cheaper than what I
ended up purchasing my 256MB unit for.

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

> "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> i want a radeon ati 9550 128mb or 256mb, 128 bit
>
>> for P4, 2.0gh, 512ram
>> I want to run decent games and directX9 SDK developing.
>> I have 4*AGP slot
>> I dont see the point in getting a really strong card because games that
>> need a a lot of video will also need a strong CPU. Thats why I question
>> getting a 256mb card
>>
>> q) whats the difference in brands ef gigabyte, powercolor,asus.. because
>> there is a big price difference here in OZ with them.
>>
>> q) can you download directX game demo's of latest games?
>>
>> q) I like ice/snow terrains, is there agame that has a lot of this?
>
> The point of having 256mb on the card is soes you can use high detail
> textures
> in a game like Doom 3 or HL2 but for that to work well you really need
> more
> system RAM too - 1gb instead of 512mb. Do check the exact specs of the
> card
> you choose as manufacturers have the nasty habit of putting slower memory
> in
> their 256mb cards and clocking them slower.
> http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/42403/VIDEOCARDS_RADEON_SERIES/PowerColor/-/Radeon_9550_256MB_TV_DVI-I.asp
> http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/3239_POWERCOLOR_ATI_Radeon_9550_256MB_TV.asp
> these look okay - avoid anything that says SE or 64bit
>
> Project IGI (the first one) - old and now budget but a cracking game
> that'll run sweet
> at a high res on your rig. IGI2 also has some snowy levels too.

i want a radeon ati 9550 128mb or 256mb, 128 bit
i was looking at gigabyte, this doesnt have slow memory as you described
does it?

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

include a link to the card youre looking at and maybe I
can help !

> "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> i want a radeon ati 9550 128mb or 256mb, 128 bit
>>
>>> for P4, 2.0gh, 512ram
>>> I want to run decent games and directX9 SDK developing.
>>> I have 4*AGP slot
>>> I dont see the point in getting a really strong card because games that
>>> need a a lot of video will also need a strong CPU. Thats why I question
>>> getting a 256mb card
>>>
>>> q) whats the difference in brands ef gigabyte, powercolor,asus.. because
>>> there is a big price difference here in OZ with them.
>>>
>>> q) can you download directX game demo's of latest games?
>>>
>>> q) I like ice/snow terrains, is there agame that has a lot of this?
>>
>> The point of having 256mb on the card is soes you can use high detail
>> textures
>> in a game like Doom 3 or HL2 but for that to work well you really need
>> more
>> system RAM too - 1gb instead of 512mb. Do check the exact specs of the
>> card
>> you choose as manufacturers have the nasty habit of putting slower memory
>> in
>> their 256mb cards and clocking them slower.
>> http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/42403/VIDEOCARDS_RADEON_SERIES/PowerColor/-/Radeon_9550_256MB_TV_DVI-I.asp
>> http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/3239_POWERCOLOR_ATI_Radeon_9550_256MB_TV.asp
>> these look okay - avoid anything that says SE or 64bit
>>
>> Project IGI (the first one) - old and now budget but a cracking game
>> that'll run sweet
>> at a high res on your rig. IGI2 also has some snowy levels too.
>>

> i want a radeon ati 9550 128mb or 256mb, 128 bit
> i was looking at gigabyte, this doesnt have slow memory as you described
> does it?

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

> include a link to the card youre looking at and maybe I
> can help !
>
> "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message

>>> The point of having 256mb on the card is soes you can use high detail
>>> textures
>>> in a game like Doom 3 or HL2 but for that to work well you really need
>>> more
>>> system RAM too - 1gb instead of 512mb. Do check the exact specs of the
>>> card
>>> you choose as manufacturers have the nasty habit of putting slower
>>> memory in
>>> their 256mb cards and clocking them slower.
>>> http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/42403/VIDEOCARDS_RADEON_SERIES/PowerColor/-/Radeon_9550_256MB_TV_DVI-I.asp
>>> http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/3239_POWERCOLOR_ATI_Radeon_9550_256MB_TV.asp
>>> these look okay - avoid anything that says SE or 64bit
>>>
>>> Project IGI (the first one) - old and now budget but a cracking game
>>> that'll run sweet
>>> at a high res on your rig. IGI2 also has some snowy levels too.
>>>

>> i want a radeon ati 9550 128mb or 256mb, 128 bit
>> i was looking at gigabyte, this doesnt have slow memory as you described
>> does it?

hi
where is home page for project igi (the 1st one)?

http://www.giga-byte.com.au/VGA/Products/Products_GV-R955256D.htm
http://www.giga-byte.com.au/VGA/Products/Products_GV-R955128D.htm

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

>>> i want a radeon ati 9550 128mb or 256mb, 128 bit
>>> i was looking at gigabyte, this doesnt have slow memory as you described
>>> does it?

> hi
> where is home page for project igi (the 1st one)?
for crying out loud ! you want me to buy you a copy ?!
its a budget game - go look in your local games shop and find a copy - read
the box :)

> http://www.giga-byte.com.au/VGA/Products/Products_GV-R955256D.htm
> http://www.giga-byte.com.au/VGA/Products/Products_GV-R955128D.htm
these are fine but dont go on manufacturers details - always check what the
seller
says - cause there are tons of differant models out there and if you get a
64-bit model
because you didnt read what the seller said the card was - then youre
stuffed.
good luck.

seagull

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:41:04 +1000, "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote:

>i was looking at gigabyte, this doesnt have slow memory as you described
>does it?

Memory modules and speed can vary between batches of the same product
form the same manufacturer dependent upon what's available at the time
of production.

One of the things you have to watch out for in au is that we
frequently get dumped with different versions than other countries and
the latest versions which are usually made available to the US. This
is an often though not always thing. Just exercise caveat emptor aka
measure twice cut once.

Gigabyte product is usually pretty good, and most of the 9550 product
I've seen from all manufacturers during my recent investigation has
5ns memory onboard. It's not a big issue as this is the overclocking
Achilles Heel of the 9550 anyway. The 9550 core clocks just
fantastically.

That said, either of those Gigabyte 128 bit units will do and are what
you want, but unusually, this Gigabyte unit is simply overpriced in
Australia. The two best buys locally are the Sapphire and PowerColor.
I went with the Powercolor. In the end, any of the above will perform
about the same. Just buy the one you prefer. It's your money.

CguLL

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

"seagull" <bird@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:41:04 +1000, "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote:
>
>>i was looking at gigabyte, this doesnt have slow memory as you described
>>does it?
>
> Memory modules and speed can vary between batches of the same product
> form the same manufacturer dependent upon what's available at the time
> of production.
>
> One of the things you have to watch out for in au is that we
> frequently get dumped with different versions than other countries and
> the latest versions which are usually made available to the US. This
> is an often though not always thing. Just exercise caveat emptor aka
> measure twice cut once.
>
> Gigabyte product is usually pretty good, and most of the 9550 product
> I've seen from all manufacturers during my recent investigation has
> 5ns memory onboard. It's not a big issue as this is the overclocking
> Achilles Heel of the 9550 anyway. The 9550 core clocks just
> fantastically.
>
> That said, either of those Gigabyte 128 bit units will do and are what
> you want, but unusually, this Gigabyte unit is simply overpriced in
> Australia. The two best buys locally are the Sapphire and PowerColor.
> I went with the Powercolor. In the end, any of the above will perform
> about the same. Just buy the one you prefer. It's your money.
>
> CguLL

OK, I warned off powercolor here.
so powercolor/saphhire ati 9550 128/256mb with 128 bit is OK to get?
the gigabyte 9550 256mb goes for $139

seagull

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:40:43 +1000, "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote:

>OK, I warned off powercolor here.

Wonder why? Very happy with mine. Sterling performance thus far.

Like Gigabyte, Tul used to be a cheapie brand, but made a name for
themselves as an unknown by offering the same products at killer
pricing. Collaberating with ATI which was a smart business move after
ATI had been out in the wilderness for some time (like everyone had
after nVidia arrived). Now Tul are huge and ATI once again has market
presence. Pretty impressive considering the business behemoth they are
up against.

As for PowerColor product. Although kiddies are impressed by such
things, the size and colour of the friggin' box doesn't make it run
any faster y'know.....'though rumour would have it red PCB really is
faster. ;)

Any of the above will do what you want. For me, I read nothing but
good reviews on the PowerColor unit, and I'd rather have the extra
pesos to contribute towards sometheing else like MORE RAM, new CD-RW,
faster CPU or another wireless network card.

Powercolor is reference design which = stability with drivers, which
it has proven to be thus far.

Not a glitch in Warhammer 40k DoW or any DirectX 9 game or app I've
run with it yet. 5ns Hyundi DDR, the software package it came with was
a bonus and the price is right. Legacy apps like Diablo II LoD,
Counterstrike et all run fine as well. So far, my expectations of the
product have exceeded in every aspect. 8x AGP bus is as stable as.

OTOH reading around the forums and their site, Sapphire's support
attitude stinks. Don't care much for Sapphire's attitude with their
Redline clocking software gauging by experiences of customers. Who
needs it when you can use Rage3D's Tweak for free! Same for Gigabyte's
util. BTW, not anti Gigabyte. I have a Gigabyte mobo and have used
several of their GeForce video cards in the past.

>the gigabyte 9550 256mb goes for $139

You can buy GeCube 9550Extreme for $10 more than that!

Powercolor for $113 or Sapphire for $117. However if going with a
familiar brand and blue PCB makes you feel more secure in your comfort
zone, spend the extra $26 on the Gigabyte for what is essentially the
same thing. Like I said, they'll all perform about the same and I'm
sure you won't be disappointed with any of them if your expectations
of the 9550's performance are realistic.

It's a kickarse chipset for the $$$!

Get the one you want or you won't be happy. It's only money. :)

CguLL

> will startwars republic commando work with ati 9550 128bit/256mb p4 2.0
> 512ram

yes - my system is XP2400, 512mb RAM, 9700 and it runs very nicely at
1024x768

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

> "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
>> will startwars republic commando work with ati 9550 128bit/256mb p4 2.0
>> 512ram
>>
> yes - my system is XP2400, 512mb RAM, 9700 and it runs very nicely at
> 1024x768

9700 ?

do you mean a 7000?

If 9700 exists then what about 9550 becuase that would be older card?

would half-life run with 9550 as well?

how come you know so much about games....do you program with c++/directX
yourself......I have started doing a bit