Half life 2 EULA?

I'm just curious what the end user license agreement looks like when you
install HL2 from the installation CD's (I bought my copy of HL2 over steam),
so I'm wondering if anyone could post it here or point me to where a copy of
it is online (I've looked around the official half life 2 website, but all I
can find is the steam subscriber agreement, which I don't believe is the
agreement it presents you with when you install hl2.)

Anyway, any help would be appreciated

(and no, I'm not one of those anti-steam trolls or such, I'm just curious if
the EULA mentions steam or the conditions of the steam agreement, etc.)

--
-JH

> (and no, I'm not one of those anti-steam trolls or such

God forbid...

"JH" <no@email> wrote in message news:110fud9egnsu6b5@corp.supernews.com...
> I'm just curious what the end user license agreement looks like when you
> install HL2 from the installation CD's (I bought my copy of HL2 over steam),
> so I'm wondering if anyone could post it here or point me to where a copy of
> it is online (I've looked around the official half life 2 website, but all I
> can find is the steam subscriber agreement, which I don't believe is the
> agreement it presents you with when you install hl2.)
>
> Anyway, any help would be appreciated
>
> (and no, I'm not one of those anti-steam trolls or such, I'm just curious if
> the EULA mentions steam or the conditions of the steam agreement, etc.)

It does not mention Steam.

(I hope this is legal...)

YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT BEFORE
INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE PROGRAM. BY INSTALLING OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE
PROGRAM, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT
AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, PLEASE CONTACT CUSTOMER SUPPORT AS
DETAILED IN THE SOFTWARE PROGRAM FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.

The software applications on this CD-ROM or DVD-ROM (the “Program”), and any and
all copies and derivative works of the Program are the copyrighted work of Valve
Corporation (“Valve”) or its suppliers. All rights reserved, except as
expressly stated herein. All use of the Program is governed by the terms of
this End User License Agreement (“License Agreement”). The Program is solely for
use by end users according to the terms of the License Agreement. Any use,
reproduction or redistribution of the Program not in accordance with the terms
of the License Agreement is expressly prohibited.

END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

1. Limited Use License. Sierra Entertainment, Inc. (“Sierra”) and Valve
(collectively referred to herein as “Licensor”) hereby grants, and by installing
the Program you thereby accept, a limited, non-exclusive license and right to
install and use one (1) copy of the Program for your own personal use on a
computer. In addition, the Program has a multi-player capability that allows
users to utilize portions of the Program over the Internet. Use of the Program
over the Internet may be subject to your acceptance of Valve’s, or other
licensed game hosts’, separate terms of use agreement. Valve and other licensed
game hosts reserve the right to update, modify or change any such terms of use
agreement at any time. The Program is licensed, not sold. Your license confers
no title or ownership in the Program.

2. Ownership. All title, ownership rights and intellectual property
rights in and to the Program and any and all copies thereof (including but not
limited to any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character
names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animations,
sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral
rights, any related documentation, and “applets” incorporated into the Program)
are owned by Valve or its licensors. The Program is protected by the copyright
laws of the United States, international copyright treaties and conventions and
other laws. All rights are reserved. The Program contains certain licensed
materials and Valve’s licensors may protect their rights in the event of any
violation of this Agreement.

3. Responsibilities of End User.

A. Subject to the grant of license hereinabove, you may not, in
whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer,
derive source code, modify, disassemble, decompile, create derivative works
based on the Program, or remove any proprietary notices or labels on the Program
without the prior consent, in writing, of Valve.

B. The Program is licensed to you as a single product. Its
component parts may not be separated for use on more than one computer.

C. You are entitled to use the Program for your own personal
use, but you are not entitled to:

(i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the
Program to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Program
to others without the prior written consent of Sierra or Valve;

(ii) exploit the Program or any of its parts for any commercial purpose
including, but not limited to, use at a cyber café, computer gaming center or
any other location-based site; or

(iii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Program or emulate or
redirect the communication protocols used in the network feature of the Program,
through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the
Program, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter
developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the
Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or
as part of content aggregation networks. The Program may include functionality
designed to identify nonstandard software or hardware processes or functionality
that may give a player an unfair competitive advantage when playing multiplayer
versions of any Valve software or modifications thereof (“Cheats”). You agree
that you will not directly or indirectly disable, circumvent, or otherwise
interfere with the operation of software designed to prevent or report the use
of Cheats. You acknowledge and agree that Sierra, Valve or the online
multiplayer host of the Program (or any other Valve product) may refuse to allow
you to participate in online multiplayer activities relating to this Program (or
any other Valve product) if you use Cheats in connection with the Program (or
any other Valve product). Further, you acknowledge and agree that an online
host may report your use of Cheats to Valve, and Valve may communicate your
history of use of Cheats to Sierra or other online hosts of the Program (or any
other Valve product).

D. Your continued use of the Program over the Internet may require periodic
updates, error corrections, or enhancements to the Program and is subject to any
terms and conditions under which use of the Program over the Internet is
provided.

4. Program Transfer. You may permanently transfer all of your rights
under this License Agreement, provided that: (a) the recipient agrees to the
terms of this License Agreement, (b) you remove the Program from your computer
and retain no copies of the Program, and (c) you transfer all of the Program
(including all software components, the media and printed materials that
accompany the Program, any code used to “unlock” the Program (“CD Key”), any
Program upgrades, and this License Agreement) to the recipient. Furthermore,
you agree that you will not provide a CD Key to any third party except as part
of the transfer of this License Agreement and the entire Program in accordance
with the preceding sentence.

5. Termination. This License Agreement is effective until terminated.
You may terminate the License Agreement at any time by destroying the Program.
Licensor may, at its discretion, terminate this License Agreement in the event
that you fail to comply with the terms and conditions contained herein. This
License Agreement shall automatically terminate in the event that you fail to
comply with the terms and conditions contained herein. In such event, you must
immediately destroy the Program. The provisions of Sections 2, 5, and 7-12
will survive any termination of the Agreement.

6. Export Controls. The Program may not be re-exported, downloaded or
otherwise exported into (or to a national or resident of) any country to which
the U.S. has embargoed goods, or to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department’s
list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Department’s Table
of Denial Orders. By installing the Program, you are agreeing to the foregoing
and you are representing and warranting that you are not located in, under the
control of, or a national or resident of any such country or on any such list.

7. Limited Warranty. The entire risk arising out of use or performance of the
Program and any printed material(s) remains with the User, however Sierra
warrants up to and including two (2) years from the date of your purchase of the
Program that the media containing the Program shall be free from defects in
material and workmanship. In the event that the media proves to be defective
during that time period please contact customer support. In order to enforce the
above-mentioned warranty, customer support should be informed of the defect
within two (2) months following its discovery. EXCEPT AS PROVIDED ABOVE, The
Program and ANY PRINTED MATERIAL(s) are provided "as is" without warranty of any
kind, either express or implied, including, without limitation, the implied
warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or
noninfringement. ANY WARRANTY AGAINST INFRINGEMENT THAT MAY BE PROVIDED IN
SECTION 2-312(3) OF THE UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE AND/OR IN ANY OTHER COMPARABLE
STATE STATUTE IS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. Some states/jurisdictions do not allow
the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties, so the above limitations may
not apply to you.

8. Limitation of Liability. NEITHER VALVE, SIERRA, VIVENDI UNIVERSAL
GAMES, INC., ITS PARENT, SUBSIDIARIES OR AFFILIATES SHALL BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY
FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THE PROGRAM INCLUDING,
BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR
MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. ANY WARRANTY
AGAINST INFRINGEMENT THAT MAY BE PROVIDED IN SECTION 2-312(3) OF THE UNIFORM
COMMERCIAL CODE AND/OR IN ANY OTHER COMPARABLE STATE STATUTE IS EXPRESSLY
DISCLAIMED. I UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT Valve or SIERRA ENTERTAINMENT,
INC. CANNOT AND WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE FAILURES OR
ANY OTHER EVENT WHICH MAY RESULT IN A LOSS OF DATA OR DISRUPTION OF SERVICE.
Some states/jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental
or consequential damages, so the above limitations may not apply.

9. Equitable Remedies. You hereby agree that Licensor would be
irreparably damaged if the terms of this License Agreement were not specifically
enforced, and therefore you agree that Licensor shall be entitled, without bond,
other security, or proof of damages, to appropriate equitable remedies with
respect to breaches of this License Agreement, in addition to such other
remedies as Licensor may otherwise have available to it under applicable laws.
In the event any litigation is brought by either party in connection with this
License Agreement, the prevailing party in such litigation shall be entitled to
recover from the other party all the costs, attorneys’ fees and other expenses
incurred by such prevailing party in the litigation.

10. Miscellaneous. The following terms, conditions and/or restrictions
regarding the jurisdiction whose laws shall govern this Agreement, and the venue
where any claims against Licensor shall be asserted are subject to the local
laws of the country where the Product was purchased, and in the event of a
conflict between the terms of this Agreement and such local laws, the local laws
the country where the Product was purchased shall prevail. Nonetheless, this
License Agreement shall be deemed to have been made and executed in the State of
California and any dispute arising hereunder shall be resolved in accordance
with the law of the State of California. You agree that any claim asserted in
any legal proceeding by you against Sierra shall be commenced and maintained in
any state or federal court located in the State of California, County of Los
Angeles, having subject matter jurisdiction with respect to the dispute between
the parties. Exclusive venue for all litigation involving Valve, but not
involving Sierra, with regard to this Agreement shall be in King County,
Washington and you agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the courts in King
County, Washington for any such litigation. This License Agreement may be
amended, altered or modified only by an instrument in writing, specifying such
amendment, alteration or modification, executed by both you and Licensor. In the
event that any provision of this License Agreement shall be held by a court or
other tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be unenforceable, such provision
will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible and the remaining portions of
this License Agreement shall remain in full force and effect. This License
Agreement constitutes and contains the entire agreement between the parties with
respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes any prior oral or written
agreements.

You hereby acknowledge that you have read and understand the foregoing License
Agreement and agree that the action of installing the Program is an
acknowledgment of your agreement to be bound by the terms and conditions of the
License Agreement contained herein. You also acknowledge and agree that this
License Agreement is the complete and exclusive statement of the agreement
between yourself and Licensor and that the License Agreement supersedes any
prior or contemporaneous agreement, either oral or written, and any other
communications between yourself, Sierra and/or Valve regarding this Program.

If any provision of this License Agreement shall be unlawful, void, or for any
reason unenforceable in your country, then that provision shall be deemed
severable from this agreement and shall not affect the validity and
enforceability of any remaining provisions.

nutt wrote:

> A. Subject to the grant of license
> hereinabove, you may not, in whole or in part, copy,
> photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive
> source code, modify, disassemble, decompile, create
> derivative works based on the Program, or remove any
> proprietary notices or labels on the Program without the
> prior consent, in writing, of Valve.

Is mod-making considered as "create derivative works based on the
Program" ?
Looks like ppl who wants to do mods will need written consent
from Valve.
Indecent.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

"Vilco" wrote

> Is mod-making considered as "create derivative works based on the
> Program" ?

Eh, actually no

Mod making is not copying/altering HL2 binaries into a new product
Mod making is alternative use of the existing original product whereas eg
HL2/Steam is a prerequisite to use and run the mod

Actually using the SDK it IS possible to create, distribute and install a
game without HL2 as prerequisite
This is a violation of the EULA

> Looks like ppl who wants to do mods will need written consent
> from Valve.

No need

- Peter

Peter Lykkegaard left a note on my windscreen which said:

> > Looks like ppl who wants to do mods will need written consent
> > from Valve.
>
> No need

Plus in a legal sense it's obvious that mod making is in line with
Vale's intended use of the product so no problems.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Stoneskin mi
desto'

>>> Looks like ppl who wants to do mods will need written consent
>>> from Valve.

>> No need

> Plus in a legal sense it's obvious that mod making is in line with
> Vale's intended use of the product so no problems.

OK, tnx
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'