4x FSAA in Direct3D Slows Down Doom 3?

Wonder if this is a Cat 5.4 driver bug; I don't remember seeing it in 5.3:

With AA set to "application preference" in both the OGL and D3D control
panels, and no AA set in-game, I get an expected 51 fps in Doom 3 Demo1.

With AA set to "application preference" in the OGL panel, but "4x" in the
D3D panel, I get only 26 fps. However, there's no change to the image
displayed. Why the f--- are changes to D3D settings affecting Doom 3?

Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

More about fsaa direct3d slows doom

    What happens if you set cp to app and select 4xaa in game? Do you still see
    a drop?

    > Wonder if this is a Cat 5.4 driver bug; I don't remember seeing it in 5.3:
    >
    > With AA set to "application preference" in both the OGL and D3D control
    > panels, and no AA set in-game, I get an expected 51 fps in Doom 3 Demo1.
    >
    > With AA set to "application preference" in the OGL panel, but "4x" in the
    > D3D panel, I get only 26 fps. However, there's no change to the image
    > displayed. Why the f--- are changes to D3D settings affecting Doom 3?
    >
    > Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

    When I did that, anti-aliasing can be seen in-game, with the corresponding
    drop in framerates. However, 30 fps average in Demo1 translates into low 20s
    in certain spots, not smooth enough.

    "Bratboy" <DontBother@Takeallthisaway.tde.com> wrote in message
    > What happens if you set cp to app and select 4xaa in game? Do you still
    > see a drop?

Radeon Direct3D Graphics