broadcasting SSID

Sam

I have a two computers connected by a wireless router.
I'm configuring the router and it has an option to enable
or disable the SSID broadcast. I'm going to be
configuring an Windows XP machine via a wireless
connection. Do I disable the SSID broadcast option?

disabling SSID broadcast, eventhrough the default is set
to broadcast.

There is real no good reason to disable the broadcast of your network SSID. Your much better off
using strong encryption, strong passwords, etc...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a two computers connected by a wireless router.
> I'm configuring the router and it has an option to enable
> or disable the SSID broadcast. I'm going to be
> configuring an Windows XP machine via a wireless
> connection. Do I disable the SSID broadcast option?

---

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Windows XP requires you to broadcast SSID. So, you'll
need to enable this option. Details here.

us;811427

group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...

>"Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>>I have a two computers connected by a wireless router.
>> I'm configuring the router and it has an option to
enable
>> or disable the SSID broadcast. I'm going to be
>> configuring an Windows XP machine via a wireless
>> connection. Do I disable the SSID broadcast option?
>

>---
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
7/2/2004

>.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi.
Some Wireless Hardware will not work with Broadcast Off, many will.

It is a very simple thing to try.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a two computers connected by a wireless router.
> I'm configuring the router and it has an option to enable
> or disable the SSID broadcast. I'm going to be
> configuring an Windows XP machine via a wireless
> connection. Do I disable the SSID broadcast option?

here is what lynksis says about ssid
http://www.linksys.com/edu/page10.asp

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>, iletide sunu yazdi

> [...]

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

too bad they didn't write xp to agree with linksys's view of the world.

"Serhan BAKIR" <serhan@stand.com.tr> wrote in message
> here is what lynksis says about ssid
> http://www.linksys.com/edu/page10.asp
>
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>, iletide sunu yazdi

You might be interested in this long thread over on the DSL Reports forums concerning the issue of
broadcast or no broadcast of SSID enhancing your network security...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8735225~mode=flat

Personally, I broadcast my network SSID and take other measures to secure access to my home LAN
including WPA-PSK with a very long random key...

--

"Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:%23lQj$ebYEHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> too bad they didn't write xp to agree with linksys's view of the world.
>
> "Serhan BAKIR" <serhan@stand.com.tr> wrote in message
>> here is what lynksis says about ssid
>> http://www.linksys.com/edu/page10.asp
>>
>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>, iletide sunu yazdi

---

Not to beat a dead horse, but look at Kismet which can decloak hidden SSID's... See the "Features"
section...

http://www.kismetwireless.net/

--

> You might be interested in this long thread over on the DSL Reports forums concerning the issue of
> broadcast or no broadcast of SSID enhancing your network security...
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8735225~mode=flat
>
> Personally, I broadcast my network SSID and take other measures to secure access to my home LAN
> including WPA-PSK with a very long random key...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:%23lQj$ebYEHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> too bad they didn't write xp to agree with linksys's view of the world.
>>
>> "Serhan BAKIR" <serhan@stand.com.tr> wrote in message
>>> here is what lynksis says about ssid
>>> http://www.linksys.com/edu/page10.asp
>>>
>>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>, iletide sunu yazdi

---

> Not to beat a dead horse, but look at Kismet which can decloak hidden
SSID's... See the "Features"
> section...
>
> http://www.kismetwireless.net/

There isn't any such thing as a "hidden SSID" at all out there. Once traffic
starts between a client and a WAP, the SSID is exposed in those
communications.

ME

Tom wrote:
> Windows XP requires you to broadcast SSID. So, you'll
> need to enable this option. Details here.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
> us;811427

That's interesting. I'm running XP Home SP1 on a laptop, and the
Netgear WGR614V5 router is set NOT to broadcast SSID, and I'm not having
any problem accessing the router from the laptop.

Stranger

It becomes a problem when you have a neighbor who also has a wireless router
and their signal overlaps yours.

It's all explained here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

Carey

"Carey Holzman" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message news:ep$7k4syEHA.3808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> It becomes a problem when you have a neighbor who also has a wireless router
> and their signal overlaps yours.

And also the neigbor's SSID must be same as yours.
(so a hijacker can sniff your SSID and set it to their AP to "capture" your PC -
in this case only mutual authentication of PC and network/AP can help )
--PA

> It's all explained here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

No, the name of the SSID has nothing to do with it. Go back and re-read the
knowledgebase article please.

"Carey Holzman" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message news:eoAR4M3yEHA.804@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> No, the name of the SSID has nothing to do with it. Go back and re-read the
> knowledgebase article please.

Carey, I've read it.
Again: a non-hidden AP will override any hidden AP *with same SSID*.
If the SSID of a non-hidden AP is not in the preferred list, and connection
to non-preferred APs is disabled - then no problem, you won't connect
to it anyway.

Regards,
--PA

> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> > "Carey Holzman" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
> >> It becomes a problem when you have a neighbor who also has a wireless
> >> router
> >> and their signal overlaps yours.
> >
> > And also the neigbor's SSID must be same as yours.
> > (so a hijacker can sniff your SSID and set it to their AP to "capture"
> > your PC -
> > in this case only mutual authentication of PC and network/AP can help )
> > --PA
> >
> >> It's all explained here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

I have no idea where you got that quote. The name of the SSID is irrelevant.
Let me quote it for you:

When your Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 (SP1 or SP2)-based
Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) client computer is in the proximity of two
wireless access points, and one of the access points is broadcasting its
Service Set Identifier (SSID) but the other is not, your computer always
connects to the access point that is broadcasting its SSID. This occurs
regardless of the preference order of the networks that are configured on
the Preferred Networks list.

Additionally, when your computer is connected to an access point that is not
broadcasting its SSID, and another access point that is broadcasting its
SSID is enabled nearby, your computer automatically connects to the access

> "Carey Holzman" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
>> No, the name of the SSID has nothing to do with it. Go back and re-read
>> the
>> knowledgebase article please.
>
> Carey, I've read it.
> Again: a non-hidden AP will override any hidden AP *with same SSID*.
> If the SSID of a non-hidden AP is not in the preferred list, and
> connection
> to non-preferred APs is disabled - then no problem, you won't connect
> to it anyway.
>
> Regards,
> --PA
>
>> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
>> > "Carey Holzman" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
>> >
>> > And also the neigbor's SSID must be same as yours.
>> > (so a hijacker can sniff your SSID and set it to their AP to "capture"
>> > your PC -
>> > in this case only mutual authentication of PC and network/AP can help )
>> > --PA

Apologies for being not clear enough. What I wrote
was not a quotation from that KB article, it was in addition to it
(based on some "insider knowledge" and experience ).

If XP machine is is connected to AP1 that is not
broadcasting its SSID, and AP2 that is broadcasting its
SSID (*different from that of AP1*) appears nearby, and XP switches to
AP2 - then the 802.11 driver is defective and needs to be updated.
(assuming Wireless configuration is done properly and no other applications
interfere with Wzcsvc, and no unusual RF conditions )

Regards,
Pavel A.

"Carey Holzman" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message news:uu7a436yEHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I have no idea where you got that quote. The name of the SSID is irrelevant.
> Let me quote it for you:
>
> When your Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 (SP1 or SP2)-based
> Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) client computer is in the proximity of two
> wireless access points, and one of the access points is broadcasting its
> Service Set Identifier (SSID) but the other is not, your computer always
> connects to the access point that is broadcasting its SSID. This occurs
> regardless of the preference order of the networks that are configured on
> the Preferred Networks list.
>
> Additionally, when your computer is connected to an access point that is not
> broadcasting its SSID, and another access point that is broadcasting its
> SSID is enabled nearby, your computer automatically connects to the access
> point that is broadcasting its SSID.
>
> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> > "Carey Holzman" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
> >> No, the name of the SSID has nothing to do with it. Go back and re-read
> >> the
> >> knowledgebase article please.
> >
> > Carey, I've read it.
> > Again: a non-hidden AP will override any hidden AP *with same SSID*.
> > If the SSID of a non-hidden AP is not in the preferred list, and
> > connection
> > to non-preferred APs is disabled - then no problem, you won't connect
> > to it anyway.
> >
> > Regards,
> > --PA
> >
> >> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message

Thanks for info Pavel. I have personal experience with this issue with at
least three different customer locations where there was no setting that
made a difference on the XP machines. The SSID in each case was not being
broadcast and they each had a different SSID that was being broadcast that
the wireless PCs would randomly connect and disconnect to.

By enabling the SSID for each of these three customers, the wireless
problems went away.

Carey

> Apologies for being not clear enough. What I wrote
> was not a quotation from that KB article, it was in addition to it
> (based on some "insider knowledge" and experience ).
>
> If XP machine is is connected to AP1 that is not
> broadcasting its SSID, and AP2 that is broadcasting its
> SSID (*different from that of AP1*) appears nearby, and XP switches to
> AP2 - then the 802.11 driver is defective and needs to be updated.
> (assuming Wireless configuration is done properly and no other
> applications
> interfere with Wzcsvc, and no unusual RF conditions )
>
> Regards,
> Pavel A.
>
> "Carey Holzman" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
>> I have no idea where you got that quote. The name of the SSID is
>> irrelevant.
>> Let me quote it for you:
>>
>> When your Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 (SP1 or SP2)-based
>> Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) client computer is in the proximity of
>> two
>> wireless access points, and one of the access points is broadcasting its
>> Service Set Identifier (SSID) but the other is not, your computer always
>> connects to the access point that is broadcasting its SSID. This occurs
>> regardless of the preference order of the networks that are configured on
>> the Preferred Networks list.
>>
>> Additionally, when your computer is connected to an access point that is
>> not
>> broadcasting its SSID, and another access point that is broadcasting its
>> SSID is enabled nearby, your computer automatically connects to the
>> access
>> point that is broadcasting its SSID.
>>
>> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
>> > "Carey Holzman" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Carey, I've read it.
>> > Again: a non-hidden AP will override any hidden AP *with same SSID*.
>> > If the SSID of a non-hidden AP is not in the preferred list, and
>> > connection
>> > to non-preferred APs is disabled - then no problem, you won't connect
>> > to it anyway.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > --PA

Carey , AFAIK this is a bad driver. Good drivers should return the SSID
of the associated AP in the scan list, even if the SSID is missing in the
actual AP beacon. Then wzcsvc will see that it still is connected
to a prefferred AP and has no reason to switch away.
If you connect to a hidden AP, and it becomes visible
in the scan list - the driver does this correctly.

Unfortunately, the spec on 802.11 divers in WinXP DDK is outdated,
the latest spec is available separately on the WHDC site. Also, Windows HCT
does not test working with hidden APs. Recent driver updates
most probably have this issue fixed.

Regards,
--PA

"Carey Holzman" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message news:uHtUiGGzEHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for info Pavel. I have personal experience with this issue with at
> least three different customer locations where there was no setting that
> made a difference on the XP machines. The SSID in each case was not being
> broadcast and they each had a different SSID that was being broadcast that
> the wireless PCs would randomly connect and disconnect to.
>
> By enabling the SSID for each of these three customers, the wireless
> problems went away.
>
> Carey
>
> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> > Apologies for being not clear enough. What I wrote
> > was not a quotation from that KB article, it was in addition to it
> > (based on some "insider knowledge" and experience ).
> >
> > If XP machine is is connected to AP1 that is not
> > broadcasting its SSID, and AP2 that is broadcasting its
> > SSID (*different from that of AP1*) appears nearby, and XP switches to
> > AP2 - then the 802.11 driver is defective and needs to be updated.
> > (assuming Wireless configuration is done properly and no other
> > applications
> > interfere with Wzcsvc, and no unusual RF conditions )
> >
> > Regards,
> > Pavel A.
> >
> > "Carey Holzman" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
> >> I have no idea where you got that quote. The name of the SSID is
> >> irrelevant.
> >> Let me quote it for you:
> >>
> >> When your Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 (SP1 or SP2)-based
> >> Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) client computer is in the proximity of
> >> two
> >> wireless access points, and one of the access points is broadcasting its
> >> Service Set Identifier (SSID) but the other is not, your computer always
> >> connects to the access point that is broadcasting its SSID. This occurs
> >> regardless of the preference order of the networks that are configured on
> >> the Preferred Networks list.
> >>
> >> Additionally, when your computer is connected to an access point that is
> >> not
> >> broadcasting its SSID, and another access point that is broadcasting its
> >> SSID is enabled nearby, your computer automatically connects to the
> >> access
> >> point that is broadcasting its SSID.
> >>
> >> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message

That may be true. I have avoided this configuration ever since. The only
commonality was it was all Linksys equipment (routers, nic's) with the
latest drivers and firmware available at the time.

Thanks for the added info.

Carey