Video Problems...looks blocky

Hi for the past 2 weeks i have had some problems with my video card or
software. I have tried updating all the drivers, I have a ATI All In Wonder
9600 pro On the desktop picture of the rolling green hills the sky has a
kinda blocky streak and when I watch mpgs the images look like they have
almost rings best I could describe they would be almost like how a tree has
rings when you cut it in half. I see De Moni 2 weeks ago had similer
problems. I also have problems when playing Medal Of Honor. Any help would
be appreciated. I had problems before with the screen going kinda pinky and
that mostly cleared up by doing an auto adjust on my lcd monitor.

Thanks

fred flinstone wrote:
> Hi for the past 2 weeks i have had some problems with my video card or
> software. I have tried updating all the drivers, I have a ATI All In Wonder
> 9600 pro On the desktop picture of the rolling green hills the sky has a
> kinda blocky streak and when I watch mpgs the images look like they have
> almost rings best I could describe they would be almost like how a tree has
> rings when you cut it in half. I see De Moni 2 weeks ago had similer
> problems. I also have problems when playing Medal Of Honor. Any help would
> be appreciated. I had problems before with the screen going kinda pinky and
> that mostly cleared up by doing an auto adjust on my lcd monitor.

Colour depth?

Ben

i've tried 16 and 32 makes no diffrence and have set the resolution to
various sizes and not a diffrence. How do i know if it is a software or
hardware issue?

fred flinstone wrote:
> i've tried 16 and 32 makes no diffrence and have set the resolution to
> various sizes and not a diffrence. How do i know if it is a software or
> hardware issue?

I dunno.

Can you create a screenshot of the problem?

Ben

I cant seem to get the attachment sent through, I am having errors when I
have the pic attached
> fred flinstone wrote:
>> i've tried 16 and 32 makes no diffrence and have set the resolution to
>> various sizes and not a diffrence. How do i know if it is a software or
>> hardware issue?
>
> I dunno.
>
> Can you create a screenshot of the problem?
>
> Ben

Hi As you can see there is blocky streaks across the blue sky. Also
you can
see that the blue bar at the bottom is kind of streaky. I won't be
able to
take pics of Medal of Honor as it takes over the whole screen when you
play
it.

Thanks

fred flinstone wrote:
> I cant seem to get the attachment sent through, I am having errors when I
> have the pic attached

Thats 'cos you can't post attachments in non-binaries groups.

Mail it to me, I'm sure you can figure out how to unmangle my address.

Ben

Further to this I am using an analogue signal as my video card doesn't have
a dvi input., I will check out my monitor as you may be right about the
ramdac

Thanks

Fred Flinstone wrote:
> Further to this I am using an analogue signal as my video card doesn't have
> a dvi input., I will check out my monitor as you may be right about the
> ramdac

Without seeing the problem, it's difficult to guess what it could be.

For the benefit of everybody else (since we've done this over email):
Since screenshots do not show the problem, it's going to be a problem on
the external side of the RAM, e.g. RAMDAC, Connector, Cable, Monitor.

The blockiness and rings: Are they spacial (pixel based) or colour-based?

Ben

Hi
Well I am not certain to what has happened but, I brought home a 17" CRT
hooked it up and everything seemed fine so I'm thinking it's for sure my
LCD. For fun I tried the hydravision to see if I could get 2 monitors going
but I couldn't (didnt spend much time fooling with it) get anything showing
up on the LCD so I tried switching cables from the CRT to LCD and lo and
behold the LCD is now working fine. I didnt do anything else. Perhaps a
ghost in the machine? Anyway I hope it's "fixed" and I appreciate the help
that you provided Ben

Thanks

fred flinstone wrote:
> Hi
> Well I am not certain to what has happened but, I brought home a 17" CRT
> hooked it up and everything seemed fine so I'm thinking it's for sure my
> LCD. For fun I tried the hydravision to see if I could get 2 monitors going
> but I couldn't (didnt spend much time fooling with it) get anything showing
> up on the LCD so I tried switching cables from the CRT to LCD and lo and
> behold the LCD is now working fine. I didnt do anything else. Perhaps a
> ghost in the machine? Anyway I hope it's "fixed" and I appreciate the help
> that you provided Ben

Guess it falls under cable / connector / ghost. :p

Glad it's sorted.

Ben