Creating New Share

I am trying to create a few shared folders on my home PC. But when I go to
Manage->Shared Folders -> Shares and then click Action "new share" option is
missing. I have Windows Media Center Edition 2004 which was built on Windows
XP Pro. I have other XP Po options enabled (like ability to join domain or
remote desktop). Is it something that I'm missing in settings? How do I
enable this option?

In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View. Uncheck Use simple file sharing. Close and re-open the Management snap-in and the option will be there.

Additionally, you can simply right click on the folder you wish to share and select Sharing and Security to share the folder. You really don't need Computer Management to do this.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"PK" <PK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDEB3A25-A895-4E96-8561-34409943F0F3@microsoft.com...
>I am trying to create a few shared folders on my home PC. But when I go to
> Manage->Shared Folders -> Shares and then click Action "new share" option is
> missing. I have Windows Media Center Edition 2004 which was built on Windows
> XP Pro. I have other XP Po options enabled (like ability to join domain or
> remote desktop). Is it something that I'm missing in settings? How do I
> enable this option?

Awesome, works great. Your help is appreciated. This is acually part of the
certification I'm takin.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View. Uncheck Use simple file sharing. Close and re-open the Management snap-in and the option will be there.
>
> Additionally, you can simply right click on the folder you wish to share and select Sharing and Security to share the folder. You really don't need Computer Management to do this.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "PK" <PK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDEB3A25-A895-4E96-8561-34409943F0F3@microsoft.com...
> >I am trying to create a few shared folders on my home PC. But when I go to
> > Manage->Shared Folders -> Shares and then click Action "new share" option is
> > missing. I have Windows Media Center Edition 2004 which was built on Windows
> > XP Pro. I have other XP Po options enabled (like ability to join domain or
> > remote desktop). Is it something that I'm missing in settings? How do I
> > enable this option?

You're welcome :)