Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

hl2 mod creators are disgrace for their kind!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 11:37:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, "Jochen Heistermann" wrote:

> I looked around for some good singleplayer maps for HL2, but did
> not find anything special. Can someone recommend some new singleplayer
> maps for me?

let everyone know the following... you can't play hl2 mods off-line!
you must be connected so valve can give you proper authorization to play
and the mod itself
what mod creators will ever accept this????
being accomplice of valve humiliating the gamer!!!
hl2 mod creators are a complete disgrace!!!!
doing hard work and then giving it to valve like a loyal submissive servant!
completely repulsive!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:51:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

You can't play Halflife offline either. I don't know what made you
think mods were going to be different.

The Steam setup is slightly annoying, yes. But these guys are probably
tired as hell of seeing half of their rightful income disappear when
the game gets hacked and pirated. I think most people are annoyed with
Steam because it prevents them from pirating the game, not because its
inconvenient.

I really wonder sometimes if the whole global piracy ring is not some
Socialist/Communist front. It seems awfully well organized and also
awfully anti-capitalist. Thoughts anyone?
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 5:19:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> you've been brainwashed into procapitalism huh? :-P

Hehe, no. I've just seen what the alternatives are. :-P
Related resources
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 5:26:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

> When you buy a single-player game on a CD-ROM in a store, you would
> think that was sufficient to actually be allowed to use it.

Oh no, you have to go online and authenticate! The world is coming to
an end!

> You do notice that Valve is the ONLY game company to use this kind of

> authentication? If it actually was a good idea, others would surely
> have copied it by now?

Well, Valve invented it in this form, so others couldn't be using it by
now. Someone has to be the first...

I fully expect them to license Steam out to other vendors, however. And
if they don't, the other vendors will end up creating their own
version. It's a choice a developer can make: Lose some money to people
disgusted with the authentication, or lose some to people stealing the
software. They think they're going to lose less with Steam than they
would with piracy. They're probably right, but who knows?

Besides, there is a precedent: MS required authentication for XP. So I
guess someone else is doing it...

Certainly not much thinking on your part... :) 
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 5:50:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Oh, well, to tell you the truth, I have DSL, so I'm never offline to
try it. I had heard somewhere that you had to connect and authenticate
to play, but I really don't know.

That will teach me to believe the malcontents and anti-Steamers. :) 
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 7:15:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Yes... I'm from the USA... you're point?
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 8:34:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Yes, yes, I made a booboo. I don't proofread everything I put on a
message board.

You still haven't gotten to "your point".
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 9:21:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 8 Feb 2005 16:15:43 -0800, "mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote:

>Yes... I'm from the USA... you're point?

I think you mean "your point?" "You're point" means "you are point" and
that makes no sense. Just like buying software with stupid copy
protection schemes.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:08:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> I really wonder sometimes if the whole global piracy ring is not some
> Socialist/Communist front. It seems awfully well organized and also
> awfully anti-capitalist. Thoughts anyone?


you've been brainwashed into procapitalism huh? :-P

f r e e
against all -isms :-)
&taking stupid crosspost groups Out
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:09:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> writes:

> I think most people are annoyed with Steam because it prevents them
> from pirating the game, not because its inconvenient.

Certainly doesn't seem like much thinking on your part to me.

When you buy a single-player game on a CD-ROM in a store, you would
think that was sufficient to actually be allowed to use it.

You do notice that Valve is the ONLY game company to use this kind of
authentication? If it actually was a good idea, others would surely
have copied it by now?

> I really wonder sometimes if the whole global piracy ring is not
> some Socialist/Communist front. It seems awfully well organized and
> also awfully anti-capitalist. Thoughts anyone?

Still not much thinking on your part. Trolling, though...
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:09:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

>From: Tor Iver Wilhelmsen tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no
>Date: 2/8/2005 1:09 PM Pacific Standard Time
>Message-id: <umzuedahu.fsf@broadpark.no>
>
>"mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> writes:
>
>> I think most people are annoyed with Steam because it prevents them
>> from pirating the game, not because its inconvenient.
>
>Certainly doesn't seem like much thinking on your part to me.
>
>When you buy a single-player game on a CD-ROM in a store, you would
>think that was sufficient to actually be allowed to use it.
>
>You do notice that Valve is the ONLY game company to use this kind of
>authentication? If it actually was a good idea, others would surely
>have copied it by now?

And lots of people like myself avoided the game due to Steam. No other company
is jumping up and announcing a Steam-like plan for their upcoming games, so
don't you think that this event is going to be a blip on the radar that fades
out quickly?

The main thing that Steam has done is expose a bunch of drama queens that have
gone into a frenzy of chest beating and other histrionics just so people notice
them.

Steam was a bad idea, it caused myself and others to avoid even the demo. The
only people who think that this will be a wave of the future are the tinfoil
hat wearing inbreds in the corner.


-Well, God was my co-pilot....but we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat
Him.

www.atar.com/alexmars (yet another useless web site)
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:12:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly "mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> Spake Unto All:

>You can't play Halflife offline either.

Yes, you can.
Both of them.
February 9, 2005 1:47:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" wrote

> You do notice that Valve is the ONLY game company to use this kind of
> authentication? If it actually was a good idea, others would surely
> have copied it by now?

It's not been out long enough for that.

But are you saying that when others start to copy - you will start to think
it's a good idea?

Strange logic I must say.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:47:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

mrdarklight wrote:
> You can't play Halflife offline either. I don't know what made you
> think mods were going to be different.

What bullshit is this? I play EVERYTHING offline all the time. Even the
mods. I simply don't understand this.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:00:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Vince wrote:
> "Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" wrote
>
>
>>You do notice that Valve is the ONLY game company to use this kind of
>>authentication? If it actually was a good idea, others would surely
>>have copied it by now?
>
>
> It's not been out long enough for that.
>
> But are you saying that when others start to copy - you will start to think
> it's a good idea?
>
> Strange logic I must say.
>
>
Valve say they have had interest by other developers/publishers with
regards to Steam.
February 9, 2005 2:44:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote in message
news:1107892297.257011.125870@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> You can't play Halflife offline either. I don't know what made you
> think mods were going to be different.
>
> The Steam setup is slightly annoying, yes. But these guys are probably
> tired as hell of seeing half of their rightful income disappear when
> the game gets hacked and pirated. I think most people are annoyed with
> Steam because it prevents them from pirating the game, not because its
> inconvenient.

No. People don't get annoyed because they can't pirate a game because they
always can. HL2 has been available from maybe 2 days after release as a
pirate copy.

People get annoyed when they pay to play something and then have to sit
through over an hour of "authentication" - in some cases on a dialup
connection which costs *more* money.

Some time after this, they cannot play this game becuase the Steam servers
are down - even though "offline mode" has been selected.

Valve has produced a great game with a flawed delivery system. It has not
stopped the pirates, but it has royally p1ssed off their own paying
customers.

Given that in the last outage I couldn't play HL1 or any mods (without
reinstalling the whole thing) or HL2 (full stop) and a pirate could carry on
regardless, what do you think I will do next time Valve releases a game via
Steam?

I will pirate it. It is easier. It guarantees access to the single player
game. It makes sure I am not giving my hard earned money to a company whom
has no respect for its customers.

>
> I really wonder sometimes if the whole global piracy ring is not some
> Socialist/Communist front. It seems awfully well organized and also
> awfully anti-capitalist. Thoughts anyone?
>

I am betting at this point that you are from the USA?
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 5:13:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 8 Feb 2005 11:51:37 -0800, "mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote:

>The Steam setup is slightly annoying, yes. But these guys are probably
>tired as hell of seeing half of their rightful income disappear when
>the game gets hacked and pirated.

It didn't work this time either. HL2 was pirated the day it was
released.

>I think most people are annoyed with
>Steam because it prevents them from pirating the game, not because its
>inconvenient.

What are you smoking? Steam wasn't even a speed bump to pirates.

--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability
of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 5:55:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Johnny Bravo wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2005 11:51:37 -0800, "mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote:
>
>
>>The Steam setup is slightly annoying, yes. But these guys are probably
>>tired as hell of seeing half of their rightful income disappear when
>>the game gets hacked and pirated.
>
>
> It didn't work this time either. HL2 was pirated the day it was
> released.
>
>
>>I think most people are annoyed with
>>Steam because it prevents them from pirating the game, not because its
>>inconvenient.
>
>
> What are you smoking? Steam wasn't even a speed bump to pirates.
>
Depends on what you mean by a "speed bump". It took a little longer to
crack than normal, and no-one had really tried a anti-piracy technique
like Steam before (at least on a mainstream scale). Valve had to try
something; CD-protection simply doesn't work anymore.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:19:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

GFree wrote:

>> What are you smoking? Steam wasn't even a speed bump to pirates.
>>
> Depends on what you mean by a "speed bump". It took a little longer to
> crack than normal, and no-one had really tried a anti-piracy technique
> like Steam before (at least on a mainstream scale). Valve had to try
> something; CD-protection simply doesn't work anymore.

And as yet, the multiplayer portion of the game is untouched by the
w4r3zd00dz. :-)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

All these modern celebrities are endorsing supermarket products now...
I got a pack of sausages from Tesco the other day and there was this
picture of Anthony Worral Thompson on the front. Below, it read 'prick
with a fork'.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:29:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> GFree wrote:
>
>>> What are you smoking? Steam wasn't even a speed bump to pirates.
>>>
>> Depends on what you mean by a "speed bump". It took a little longer to
>> crack than normal, and no-one had really tried a anti-piracy technique
>> like Steam before (at least on a mainstream scale). Valve had to try
>> something; CD-protection simply doesn't work anymore.
>
>
> And as yet, the multiplayer portion of the game is untouched by the
> w4r3zd00dz. :-)
>

I thought that too, but was wondering why people never used this as a
defence for Steam. I once heard that there are people with pirated
copies of CS:S that can run the game on regular, non-cracker servers.
Don't know if this is true or not.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:44:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 02:55:37 +0000, GFree wrote:

> Johnny Bravo wrote:
>> On 8 Feb 2005 11:51:37 -0800, "mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>The Steam setup is slightly annoying, yes. But these guys are probably
>>>tired as hell of seeing half of their rightful income disappear when
>>>the game gets hacked and pirated.
>>
>>
>> It didn't work this time either. HL2 was pirated the day it was
>> released.
>>
>>
>>>I think most people are annoyed with
>>>Steam because it prevents them from pirating the game, not because its
>>>inconvenient.
>>
>>
>> What are you smoking? Steam wasn't even a speed bump to pirates.
>>
> Depends on what you mean by a "speed bump". It took a little longer to
> crack than normal, and no-one had really tried a anti-piracy technique
> like Steam before (at least on a mainstream scale). Valve had to try
> something; CD-protection simply doesn't work anymore.

Yes, and just like all the physical disk protection from the days of yore,
steam is more of a PITA to rightful users than a deterrent to piracy.
Personally, I've decided just to live with halflife1 w/steam, but NOT to
purchase halflife2 until Valve removes the onerous steam restrictions.

Halflife 1 should NOT have even been steamified, but I guess they probably
used it to beta test steam itself.

whats next? dongles for every freaking game?

(Also annoyed because I've finally found my win2k cd, but can't find the
$%^#%#$&^! book with my key... I don't really need it right now, but... )

BTW: did this thread get crossposted to enough groups? or did the
originator miss another few thousand?
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:56:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 02:55:37 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>Depends on what you mean by a "speed bump". It took a little longer to
>crack than normal,

It was pirated the day of global release and required a small fix
for some of the error messages and occasional crash that was released
the next day. While many games are pirated before they are released,
many others are not; this isn't an indication of the strength of the
copy protection.

> and no-one had really tried a anti-piracy technique
>like Steam before (at least on a mainstream scale). Valve had to try
>something; CD-protection simply doesn't work anymore.

And neither did Steam, given that the pirates could download and
play it the same day it came out.

--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability
of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:56:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Johnny Bravo" <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p dvg01p0e7abhk8j4n95bm3qbdrqike3l7@4ax.com...
> It was pirated the day of global release and required a small fix
> for some of the error messages and occasional crash that was released
> the next day.

Exactly.. I saw it myself for myself at work. 99% working on
day one, fully working the next. I can't believe there are still
people out there that think that Steam slowed piracy at all. This
doesn't even factor in the 50+ thousand people who were able to
download the game via cd-key exploit, right from Steam. That's
how many keys they banned for it anyhow, and their story about
leaking a false key is ludicrous. I have posted a website several
times that shows how people *still* exploit steam and download
the .GCF's. It's a security nightmare.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:03:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>> Yes... I'm from the USA... you're point?


> ...is made. Thank you.


Hmm. Forgive me if I missed something in semantics 101, but merely
saying you have made a point, without actually making any point, is
not, in fact, making a point.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:20:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

mrdarklight wrote:
> >> Yes... I'm from the USA... you're point?
>
>
> > ...is made. Thank you.
>
>
> Hmm. Forgive me if I missed something in semantics 101, but merely
> saying you have made a point, without actually making any point, is
> not, in fact, making a point.

OK, you're not going to like this but here goes...

You originally said that perhaps all pirates were part of some
communist conspiracy. Probably just an off the cuff quip, but never
mind.

That sort of "Reds under the bed" thinking is associated with America,
(Macarthyism? sp?) hence the question about your nationality. I think
you might appreciate the term "redneck" more than we do in Europe.

When you replied and misspelled "you're" instead of "your", it fitted
another American stereotype of "shoot first, think later" and the
general dimwitted "redneck" thing.

A bit harsh and I would say you have redeemed yourself with a clever
retort (try imagining John Cleese saying it - it works quite well).

And while I'm here... Cannon Fodder - "prick lips"? WTF kind of an
insult is that? Although, to be fair, it's so bad I think it actually
works.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:38:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Ben Cottrell left a note on my windscreen which said:

> >> What are you smoking? Steam wasn't even a speed bump to pirates.
> >>
> > Depends on what you mean by a "speed bump". It took a little longer to
> > crack than normal, and no-one had really tried a anti-piracy technique
> > like Steam before (at least on a mainstream scale). Valve had to try
> > something; CD-protection simply doesn't work anymore.
>
> And as yet, the multiplayer portion of the game is untouched by the
> w4r3zd00dz. :-)

Then again is rarely is. Most online games require a unique cdkey which
is unobtainable apart from buying the game.

Cracked servers do exist for games but these are usually accompanied by
a population of cheaters, hackers etc that they wouldn't be enjoyable to
play on.

Mainstream piracy is pretty much only for single player offline games.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:39:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly Johnny Bravo <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> Spake Unto All:

>>I think most people are annoyed with
>>Steam because it prevents them from pirating the game, not because its
>>inconvenient.
>
> What are you smoking? Steam wasn't even a speed bump to pirates.

Yes it was. And it still is to the casual pirates.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:39:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thusly Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> Spake Unto All:

>>Yes... I'm from the USA... you're point?
>
>I think you mean "your point?" "You're point" means "you are point" and
>that makes no sense. Just like buying software with stupid copy
>protection schemes.

Ie SecuROM, Safedisc or Laserlock.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:11:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Schrodinger wrote:
>>I really wonder sometimes if the whole global piracy ring is not some
>>Socialist/Communist front. It seems awfully well organized and also
>>awfully anti-capitalist. Thoughts anyone?
> I am betting at this point that you are from the USA?

Or a troll ;-)
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:25:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

cutterjohn wrote:

> Yes, and just like all the physical disk protection from the days of yore,
> steam is more of a PITA to rightful users than a deterrent to piracy.
> Personally, I've decided just to live with halflife1 w/steam, but NOT to
> purchase halflife2 until Valve removes the onerous steam restrictions.

What is on page 46 word 3? What color is the flag if it is tuesday the
12th? How many nuggets is George holding if the average from the graph
on pg 46 is used?

> Halflife 1 should NOT have even been steamified, but I guess they probably
> used it to beta test steam itself.

CS, HL1, DoD...were all Steamified.

> whats next? dongles for every freaking game?

IRRC somebody already brought this up ;-) I don't miss the days of
dongles, but I also don't think Steam is any better/worse than SafeDisk
or whatever protection scheme CDs use....Hell, I still have some games
don't won't read in either my CDRW or my DVD drive...Wonderful copy
protection...
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:26:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 8 Feb 2005 11:51:37 -0800, "mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote:

>The Steam setup is slightly annoying, yes. But these guys are probably
>tired as hell of seeing half of their rightful income disappear when
>the game gets hacked and pirated. I think most people are annoyed with
>Steam because it prevents them from pirating the game, not because its
>inconvenient.

That argument might actually hold water if it DID prevent them from
pirating the game.


Crash7
remove x's from address to email
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:32:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> You originally said that perhaps all pirates were part of some
> communist conspiracy. Probably just an off the cuff quip, but never
> mind.

It was just an off-the-cuff quip. But given that Communists do seem to
infect the free world in surprising places, I thought it was a reasoned
one.

> That sort of "Reds under the bed" thinking is associated with
America,
> (Macarthyism? sp?) hence the question about your nationality. I think

> you might appreciate the term "redneck" more than we do in Europe.

Yes, I'm aware that Europeans look down on Americans for their
"redneck" attitude.

I'm also aware that Europe suffers from persistent, chronic
unemployment problems that the US manages to avoid. Our unemployment is
"bad" when it is over 6% and "very bad" when it is over 7%.
Unemployment in Germany has been over 10% for years, and in France it
has been over 9% for at least 5 years. The overall unemployment rate in
the continental EU is about 11% right now.

The US has consistently higher GDP than Europe, both overall and
per-capita.

The US has put people on the moon.

The US liberated Iraq from decades of tyranny and privation.

And let's not go back to World War II, Korea, the Marshall Plan or the
end of the Cold War.

And, since we're on a Steam bitch board, I would add the minor American
accomplishment of Half-Life 2 and a gaggle of other fantastic games. I
will give credit to Europe for producing Peter Molyneux though, who is
a genius.

I post this long, off-topic diatribe to make a point of my own, which
will surely not be lost on a clever person like you.

> When you replied and misspelled "you're" instead of "your", it fitted

> another American stereotype of "shoot first, think later" and the
> general dimwitted "redneck" thing.

> A bit harsh and I would say you have redeemed yourself with a clever
> retort (try imagining John Cleese saying it - it works quite well).

Well, I'm glad that a redneck from America can at least impress the
European sensibility at some level.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 3:38:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote in message
news:1107892297.257011.125870@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> You can't play Halflife offline either. I don't know what made you
> think mods were going to be different.
>
> The Steam setup is slightly annoying, yes. But these guys are probably
> tired as hell of seeing half of their rightful income disappear when
> the game gets hacked and pirated. I think most people are annoyed with
> Steam because it prevents them from pirating the game, not because its
> inconvenient.

If you knew anything about Steam you would know that it in no way prevents
anybody from pirating the game. In fact the Steam emulator makes the game
*easier* to run.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 3:41:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote in message
news:1107903012.824763.71680@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Oh, well, to tell you the truth, I have DSL, so I'm never offline to
> try it. I had heard somewhere that you had to connect and authenticate
> to play, but I really don't know.

Steam still calls home even when you tell it to play "offline". So it's an
"offline, but..." option.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:28:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

--- wonder if you could let me know a) What the figure is for the UK
and b)
What this has to do with anything. ---

The UK, the least-European and most-American-style economy in Europe,
is doing very well and has been for some time. Aside from partially
socialized medicine, the UK (after Thatcher) has been economically
strong.

---I rather thought that was a combination of German rocket know how,
British
engineering, American ingenuity and American money. Still, maybe I
read the
wrong books.... ---

Werner Von Braun, premier rocket scientist of the age, was German. I'm
not aware of any particular British input on the program, but if its
there, I'll gladly acknowledge it. I am no foe of the British, but
rather hold them in the highest esteem as a civilization without par (I
would say nonpareil, but that's French, you know...).

--- Actually, why don't we go back there. To 1940 and wondering where
exactly the Americans were when Britain stood alone in the world
against the Nazi evil. Oh. Let's also look at "lend lease" and how
the Americans "helped" their "allies" by profiting from the war (sound
familiar?).---

We weren't involved in the war at the time. We were non-combatant. We
couldn't have given the material to the British even if we had wanted
to. But to bring up Lend-Lease as a net negative for the American
contribution to WW2 is disgraceful. I don't take credit for the defense
of Britain, and wouldn't be so callous as to suggest that we saved the
UK. As I said, I have great respect for the British, and the Battle of
Britain is one of the big reasons why. But do not suggest that
Americans did not contribute all they could to the defense of Britain
before and after Pearl Harbor. Do not even suggest it.

--- I thought others were involved in Korea too, but again maybe my
history lessons were "altered" to fit our idea of national identity.
After all, I'm sure as hell that yours weren't. Did you mention
Vietnam there? No. I didn't think so. What about Somalia. Ooops.
That's not in your list either. Rwanda? ---

Weren't there. Neither were we, but I don't go boasting becuase the
international community have an appalling record in this respect. ---

Yes, others were involved in Korea, but it was by and large an American
effort. Take the Australians out of Korea and we still would have won.
Take the Americans out and the South Korean defense would have
collapsed, and you know it.

Vietnam? Tried to defend the south against a Communist invasion. Are
you aware of how many civilians were killed by the North Vietnamese in
Vietnam, and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia? And you want us to apologize
for defending the South?

Somalia? We went to Somalia, we made an effort. Europe made no effort
at all. When Americans are dying to feed people, the European response
is to criticize the way we do it. Sounds familiar. Too familiar now.

--- Well, thank God for Americans the world simply couldn't have done
it without you. Not that the rest of the world laugh at you for such a
jingoistic
attitude. By the way, that was sarcasm, which some opine the Americans

don't "get". ---

Sarcasm is a poor replacement for actually doing anything to improve
the world. But in the case of Europe, I guess that's all they have
left.

See you in the rear view mirror, mate...
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:35:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Kroagnon wrote:
> "mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote in message
> news:1107903012.824763.71680@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>
>>Oh, well, to tell you the truth, I have DSL, so I'm never offline to
>>try it. I had heard somewhere that you had to connect and authenticate
>>to play, but I really don't know.
>
>
> Steam still calls home even when you tell it to play "offline". So it's an
> "offline, but..." option.

Does it? I haven't noticed any traffic when I choose to play offline...
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 5:24:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

--- It's a tired argument, but if democracy was the issue you would
have
been in Zimbabwe, Suadi Arabia, Syria, Iran and another dozen before
Iraq. ---

Well, we can only do so much. We don't have the resources to govern the
world. Maybe with a little help from Europe once in a while, in the odd
decades when they're not ruining their economies with oddball socialist
efforts, maybe we could have more influence in those places.

--- The UK has been a staunch ally of the US, but your post is
indicative of the
relationship between us - what you see as sneering tolerance and we see
as
underlying stupidity. ---

Well, as I said, I like the UK, both its civilization and its culture.
I even like Tony Blair, which is saying a lot for my capacity to reach
"across the aisle" as they call bipartisanship in America. My problem
is mostly with continental Europe, which is why I have been careful to
separate the UK from it.

The UK does support America reliably, and takes a lot of heat for it. I
appreciate that.

My opinion, and a lot of Americans share it, is that the US and Europe
are drifting apart, post-cold war. We don't share the same values as
Europe, for the most part. In the absence of a USSR to oppose, we're
finding that we don't have as much in common with Europe as we once
thought we did. Cest la vie... damn French again. American version: "It
is what it is."

But please, no more "stupid" innuendo. It is the last bastion of the
scoundrel to accuse the opposition of stupidity.
February 9, 2005 6:03:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote in message
news:1107908143.256063.130940@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Yes... I'm from the USA... you're point?
>

....is made. Thank you.
February 9, 2005 6:09:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:42094494$1@yorrell.saard.net...
> Vince wrote:
>> "Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" wrote
>>
>>
>>>You do notice that Valve is the ONLY game company to use this kind of
>>>authentication? If it actually was a good idea, others would surely
>>>have copied it by now?
>>
>>
>> It's not been out long enough for that.
>>
>> But are you saying that when others start to copy - you will start to
>> think it's a good idea?
>>
>> Strange logic I must say.
> Valve say they have had interest by other developers/publishers with
> regards to Steam.

*If* this is true, this is because it is a great way to make more money from
a release - cut out the publisher, distributor and shops etc. I think this
is generally "a good thing".
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:50:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Oops, I just found out Peter Molyneux is British. So the last argument
in favor of anything good coming from France in the last 50 years has
been dashed.
February 9, 2005 8:40:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 03:34:49 -0600, "Jim Vieira"
<whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote:

>Exactly.. I saw it myself for myself at work. 99% working on
>day one, fully working the next. I can't believe there are still
>people out there that think that Steam slowed piracy at all.

Just the fact that it took up to day one or day two for the hacked
game to work correctly, shows that Steam did have some effect on the
way games are pirated.

Also, it's a lot less pirate friendly compared to CD-checks especially
if you are on dial-up. With CD-check, you just have to download no-CD
hack to bypass the protection but in this case, you have to download
the unlocked files. Not only that, but every time a patch comes out,
the gcf files are updated and for a pirated version, the user then
needs to download the whole gcf file again (which can be up to 1 gig)

>This
>doesn't even factor in the 50+ thousand people who were able to
>download the game via cd-key exploit, right from Steam. That's
>how many keys they banned for it anyhow, and their story about
>leaking a false key is ludicrous.

It's not their story. Valve never said anything about leaking a false
key.

>I have posted a website several
>times that shows how people *still* exploit steam and download
>the .GCF's. It's a security nightmare.

It's only a nightmare to those who dislike it for some reason.

As a copy protection scheme that doesn't require CD-check *and* one
that has a fallback mechanism (in offline mode), with ability to
download incremental small patches whenever you want, it's a lot
better than most other such methods.
--
Noman
February 9, 2005 9:51:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:41:32 -0600, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
wrote:

>
>"mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote in message
>news:1107903012.824763.71680@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> Oh, well, to tell you the truth, I have DSL, so I'm never offline to
>> try it. I had heard somewhere that you had to connect and authenticate
>> to play, but I really don't know.
>
>Steam still calls home even when you tell it to play "offline". So it's an
>"offline, but..." option.

You can't tell Steam to play "offline". It goes into offline mode when
you don't have internet connectivity to the Steam servers for any
reason. It's a fallback method to let you play the game without
initial authentication.

It's like having a fallback mode for CD-check copy protection, which'd
let you play the game if there are some problems with the game CD or
drive.
--
Noman
February 9, 2005 11:48:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote in message
news:1107977530.996427.46470@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> You originally said that perhaps all pirates were part of some
>> communist conspiracy. Probably just an off the cuff quip, but never
>> mind.
>
> It was just an off-the-cuff quip. But given that Communists do seem to
> infect the free world in surprising places, I thought it was a reasoned
> one.

From your point of view, which merely reinforces "ours".

>> That sort of "Reds under the bed" thinking is associated with
> America,
>> (Macarthyism? sp?) hence the question about your nationality. I think
>
>> you might appreciate the term "redneck" more than we do in Europe.
>
> Yes, I'm aware that Europeans look down on Americans for their
> "redneck" attitude.
>
> I'm also aware that Europe suffers from persistent, chronic
> unemployment problems that the US manages to avoid. Our unemployment is
> "bad" when it is over 6% and "very bad" when it is over 7%.
> Unemployment in Germany has been over 10% for years, and in France it
> has been over 9% for at least 5 years. The overall unemployment rate in
> the continental EU is about 11% right now.

I wonder if you could let me know a) What the figure is for the UK and b)
What this has to do with anything.

> The US has consistently higher GDP than Europe, both overall and
> per-capita.
>
> The US has put people on the moon.

I rather thought that was a combination of German rocket know how, British
engineering, American ingenuity and American money. Still, maybe I read the
wrong books....

> The US liberated Iraq from decades of tyranny and privation.

Erm...

> And let's not go back to World War II, Korea, the Marshall Plan or the
> end of the Cold War.

Actually, why don't we go back there. To 1940 and wondering where exactly
the Americans were when Britain stood alone in the world against the Nazi
evil. Oh. Let's also look at "lend lease" and how the Americans "helped"
their "allies" by profiting from the war (sound familiar?). I thought
others were involved in Korea too, but again maybe my history lessons were
"altered" to fit our idea of national identity. After all, I'm sure as hell
that yours weren't. Did you mention Vietnam there? No. I didn't think so.
What about Somalia. Ooops. That's not in your list either. Rwanda?
Weren't there. Neither were we, but I don't go boasting becuase the
international community have an appalling record in this respect.

> And, since we're on a Steam bitch board, I would add the minor American
> accomplishment of Half-Life 2 and a gaggle of other fantastic games. I
> will give credit to Europe for producing Peter Molyneux though, who is
> a genius.

Well, thank God for Americans the world simply couldn't have done it without
you. Not that the rest of the world laugh at you for such a jingoistic
attitude. By the way, that was sarcasm, which some opine the Americans
don't "get".

> I post this long, off-topic diatribe to make a point of my own, which
> will surely not be lost on a clever person like you.

Your intelligence shines through in every remark. Believe me.

>> When you replied and misspelled "you're" instead of "your", it fitted
>
>> another American stereotype of "shoot first, think later" and the
>> general dimwitted "redneck" thing.
>
>> A bit harsh and I would say you have redeemed yourself with a clever
>> retort (try imagining John Cleese saying it - it works quite well).
>
> Well, I'm glad that a redneck from America can at least impress the
> European sensibility at some level.
>

You certainly make an impression.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:48:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Schrodinger wrote:

> "mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote in message
> news:1107977530.996427.46470@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>>>You originally said that perhaps all pirates were part of some
>>>communist conspiracy. Probably just an off the cuff quip, but never
>>>mind.
>>It was just an off-the-cuff quip. But given that Communists do seem to
>>infect the free world in surprising places, I thought it was a reasoned
>>one.

I cry for my country....infect??? Only 4 more years...and then...MORE
OF THE SAME!! WOOOOOOO!!!
February 10, 2005 12:52:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote in message
news:1107984529.563124.150880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> --- wonder if you could let me know a) What the figure is for the UK
> and b)
> What this has to do with anything. ---
>
> The UK, the least-European and most-American-style economy in Europe,
> is doing very well and has been for some time. Aside from partially
> socialized medicine, the UK (after Thatcher) has been economically
> strong.
>
> ---I rather thought that was a combination of German rocket know how,
> British
> engineering, American ingenuity and American money. Still, maybe I
> read the
> wrong books.... ---
>
> Werner Von Braun, premier rocket scientist of the age, was German. I'm
> not aware of any particular British input on the program, but if its
> there, I'll gladly acknowledge it. I am no foe of the British, but
> rather hold them in the highest esteem as a civilization without par (I
> would say nonpareil, but that's French, you know...).
>
> --- Actually, why don't we go back there. To 1940 and wondering where
> exactly the Americans were when Britain stood alone in the world
> against the Nazi evil. Oh. Let's also look at "lend lease" and how
> the Americans "helped" their "allies" by profiting from the war (sound
> familiar?).---
>
> We weren't involved in the war at the time. We were non-combatant. We
> couldn't have given the material to the British even if we had wanted
> to. But to bring up Lend-Lease as a net negative for the American
> contribution to WW2 is disgraceful. I don't take credit for the defense
> of Britain, and wouldn't be so callous as to suggest that we saved the
> UK. As I said, I have great respect for the British, and the Battle of
> Britain is one of the big reasons why. But do not suggest that
> Americans did not contribute all they could to the defense of Britain
> before and after Pearl Harbor. Do not even suggest it.

I just did. I have more time for the Americans than I do any European
country, maybe the Germans get close. This does not mean that everything
you do is right. Only a friend will tell you that you have a dirty face.

> --- I thought others were involved in Korea too, but again maybe my
> history lessons were "altered" to fit our idea of national identity.
> After all, I'm sure as hell that yours weren't. Did you mention
> Vietnam there? No. I didn't think so. What about Somalia. Ooops.
> That's not in your list either. Rwanda? ---
>
> Weren't there. Neither were we, but I don't go boasting becuase the
> international community have an appalling record in this respect. ---
>
> Yes, others were involved in Korea, but it was by and large an American
> effort. Take the Australians out of Korea and we still would have won.
> Take the Americans out and the South Korean defense would have
> collapsed, and you know it.

You might be right as I know little about Korea, other than the British
involvement and the conscripted National Service men whom died there.

> Vietnam? Tried to defend the south against a Communist invasion. Are
> you aware of how many civilians were killed by the North Vietnamese in
> Vietnam, and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia? And you want us to apologize
> for defending the South?

This was a war started by the French and continued by USA. You could have
won this, but political will stalled becuase of the problems back home.
Back in maybe 1969/70 victory was tantalizingly close, but the climate
changed back home and that was that. It then dragged on unnecesarily for
years. Wasn't Rumsfeld involved here?

> Somalia? We went to Somalia, we made an effort. Europe made no effort
> at all. When Americans are dying to feed people, the European response
> is to criticize the way we do it. Sounds familiar. Too familiar now.

True, although you cocked it up big style here - gung ho attitude and all.
The British built an empire based on understanding of local culture. We
lost this 100 years later becuase we thought we were smarter than the
natives and tried to impress our own culture on them. It would seem to me
that America skips the first bit and goes straight to the second - hence
Iraq. It's a tired argument, but if democracy was the issue you would have
been in Zimbabwe, Suadi Arabia, Syria, Iran and another dozen before Iraq.

> --- Well, thank God for Americans the world simply couldn't have done
> it without you. Not that the rest of the world laugh at you for such a
> jingoistic
> attitude. By the way, that was sarcasm, which some opine the Americans
>
> don't "get". ---
>
> Sarcasm is a poor replacement for actually doing anything to improve
> the world. But in the case of Europe, I guess that's all they have
> left.

The UK has been a staunch ally of the US, but your post is indicative of the
relationship between us - what you see as sneering tolerance and we see as
underlying stupidity.

> See you in the rear view mirror, mate...

You see us in your rear view mirror every time you run away from the world
and reality. We'll be here to welcome you back any time.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 1:33:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

James Garvin wrote:
> Kroagnon wrote:
>
>> "mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote in message
>> news:1107903012.824763.71680@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>> Oh, well, to tell you the truth, I have DSL, so I'm never offline to
>>> try it. I had heard somewhere that you had to connect and authenticate
>>> to play, but I really don't know.
>>
>>
>>
>> Steam still calls home even when you tell it to play "offline". So
>> it's an
>> "offline, but..." option.
>
>
> Does it? I haven't noticed any traffic when I choose to play offline...

I don't have an internet access AT ALL when I'm offline, which is the
whole friggin point of offline mode. If Steam can still contact Valve
without any connection to the net, Valve should patent the technology.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:27:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

mrdarklight wrote:
> I really wonder sometimes if the whole global piracy ring is not some
> Socialist/Communist front. It seems awfully well organized and also
> awfully anti-capitalist. Thoughts anyone?

I haven't heard of any piracy rings from my Socialist contacts, sorry.

And, heck, I pay for games.

I like independent developers because they let workers own the tools of
production. EA, however, will be the first up against the wall when the
Revolution comes.

--
Leons Petrazickis
import java.lang.Disclaimer;
http://slashdot.org/~LPetrazickis/journal/
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:14:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Nope, Robert McNamera, but John Kerry certainly was, the traitorous
bastard....


On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:52:50 GMT, "Scrounger" <no@1way.com> wrote:

>
>This was a war started by the French and continued by USA. You could have
>won this, but political will stalled becuase of the problems back home.
>Back in maybe 1969/70 victory was tantalizingly close, but the climate
>changed back home and that was that. It then dragged on unnecesarily for
>years. Wasn't Rumsfeld involved here?
>




"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"
February 10, 2005 3:20:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"mrdarklight" <robmh@mps.com> wrote in message
news:1107987886.495332.241000@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> --- It's a tired argument, but if democracy was the issue you would
> have
> been in Zimbabwe, Suadi Arabia, Syria, Iran and another dozen before
> Iraq. ---
>
> Well, we can only do so much. We don't have the resources to govern the
> world. Maybe with a little help from Europe once in a while, in the odd
> decades when they're not ruining their economies with oddball socialist
> efforts, maybe we could have more influence in those places.
>
> --- The UK has been a staunch ally of the US, but your post is
> indicative of the
> relationship between us - what you see as sneering tolerance and we see
> as
> underlying stupidity. ---
>
> Well, as I said, I like the UK, both its civilization and its culture.
> I even like Tony Blair, which is saying a lot for my capacity to reach
> "across the aisle" as they call bipartisanship in America. My problem
> is mostly with continental Europe, which is why I have been careful to
> separate the UK from it.
>
> The UK does support America reliably, and takes a lot of heat for it. I
> appreciate that.
>
> My opinion, and a lot of Americans share it, is that the US and Europe
> are drifting apart, post-cold war. We don't share the same values as
> Europe, for the most part. In the absence of a USSR to oppose, we're
> finding that we don't have as much in common with Europe as we once
> thought we did. Cest la vie... damn French again. American version: "It
> is what it is."
>
> But please, no more "stupid" innuendo. It is the last bastion of the
> scoundrel to accuse the opposition of stupidity.
>

The last bastion of the scoundrel is patriotism. However, I have to say
that we seem to agree about more than we disagree. Vive la difference etc.
and I'll see you on the Dark Side of The Moon.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:27:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

cutterjohn wrote:
> (Also annoyed because I've finally found my win2k cd, but can't find the
> $%^#%#$&^! book with my key... I don't really need it right now, but... )
>

When you find it, write the key on the CD itself.
That way you won't lose it.
I usually just use a Sharpie pen for this, but there are
pens made specifically for writing on CD's.
!