ASPNET as User with "Users" privileges

Home XP System.

Using Start...Run...control userpasswords2 to detect User Accounts ....

Why does ASPNET show up as a user with "Users" privileges?
5 answers Last reply
More about aspnet user users privileges

    Because you have the .NET Framework installed on your system. This installs
    as part of any Windows service packs you may have installed. It is
    perfectly fine for you to leave this account alone.

    "geekseeker" <geekseeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Home XP System.
    >
    > Using Start...Run...control userpasswords2 to detect User Accounts ....
    >
    > Why does ASPNET show up as a user with "Users" privileges?

    Thanks, Scott. That was most helpful.

    Perhaps you might know the answer to another user-permissions related
    anomaly that is occuring when I scan my desktop with Microsoft Baseline
    Security Analyzer 2.0 ... it tells me I have three administrators, two that I
    expected (myself and the default "Administrator") and one that I didn't
    expect by the name of "S-1-5-21-3779935395-2437969446-162025716-1003" This
    latter one does not show up when looking at users via the control panel or
    using Start...Run...control userpasswords2 to detect User Accounts. When I
    did a registry search I found it only in one folder with the name "Protected
    Storage System Provider" Any idea where this strange-named administrator
    comes from?

    "Scott M." wrote:

    > Because you have the .NET Framework installed on your system. This installs
    > as part of any Windows service packs you may have installed. It is
    > perfectly fine for you to leave this account alone.
    >

    > "geekseeker" <geekseeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Home XP System.
    > >
    > > Using Start...Run...control userpasswords2 to detect User Accounts ....
    > >
    > > Why does ASPNET show up as a user with "Users" privileges?

    I have seen this type of account appear when a system has joined a domain
    and then been removed from the domain. The account is a remnant of an
    account that was deleted from the system but stills belongs to your
    machine's administrator group (that usually happens when your machine is
    connected to a domain and an account is deleted on it.

    > Thanks, Scott. That was most helpful.
    >
    > Perhaps you might know the answer to another user-permissions related
    > anomaly that is occuring when I scan my desktop with Microsoft Baseline
    > Security Analyzer 2.0 ... it tells me I have three administrators, two
    > that I
    > expected (myself and the default "Administrator") and one that I didn't
    > expect by the name of "S-1-5-21-3779935395-2437969446-162025716-1003"
    > This
    > latter one does not show up when looking at users via the control panel or
    > using Start...Run...control userpasswords2 to detect User Accounts. When
    > did a registry search I found it only in one folder with the name
    > "Protected
    > Storage System Provider" Any idea where this strange-named administrator
    > comes from?
    >

    > "Scott M." wrote:
    >
    >> Because you have the .NET Framework installed on your system. This
    >> installs
    >> as part of any Windows service packs you may have installed. It is
    >> perfectly fine for you to leave this account alone.
    >>

    >> "geekseeker" <geekseeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Home XP System.
    >> >
    >> > Using Start...Run...control userpasswords2 to detect User Accounts ....
    >> >
    >> > Why does ASPNET show up as a user with "Users" privileges?

    MMMMMMMMMM.....this problem shows up on a desktop pc running XP Home that is
    connected only to a home network ...the other systems on the network are a
    laptop running XP Home, a old desktop running W98SE and a TiVo. There has
    never been a domain connection, but perhaps I am not saavy enough to have
    recognized it. The current router is a DLink wireless but there was a Linksys
    wired network prior to that.

    "Scott M." wrote:

    > I have seen this type of account appear when a system has joined a domain
    > and then been removed from the domain. The account is a remnant of an
    > account that was deleted from the system but stills belongs to your
    > machine's administrator group (that usually happens when your machine is
    > connected to a domain and an account is deleted on it.
    >

    > "geekseeker" <geekseeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, Scott. That was most helpful.
    > >
    > > Perhaps you might know the answer to another user-permissions related
    > > anomaly that is occuring when I scan my desktop with Microsoft Baseline
    > > Security Analyzer 2.0 ... it tells me I have three administrators, two
    > > that I
    > > expected (myself and the default "Administrator") and one that I didn't
    > > expect by the name of "S-1-5-21-3779935395-2437969446-162025716-1003"
    > > This
    > > latter one does not show up when looking at users via the control panel or
    > > using Start...Run...control userpasswords2 to detect User Accounts. When
    > > did a registry search I found it only in one folder with the name
    > > "Protected
    > > Storage System Provider" Any idea where this strange-named administrator
    > > comes from?
    > >

    > > "Scott M." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Because you have the .NET Framework installed on your system. This
    > >> installs
    > >> as part of any Windows service packs you may have installed. It is
    > >> perfectly fine for you to leave this account alone.
    > >>

    > >> "geekseeker" <geekseeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    It could be the remnant of a normal user account that was made and then
    deleted. In any case, it's not an active account and you shouldn't worry
    about it.

    > MMMMMMMMMM.....this problem shows up on a desktop pc running XP Home that
    > is
    > connected only to a home network ...the other systems on the network are a
    > laptop running XP Home, a old desktop running W98SE and a TiVo. There has
    > never been a domain connection, but perhaps I am not saavy enough to have
    > recognized it. The current router is a DLink wireless but there was a
    > Linksys
    > wired network prior to that.
    >
    > "Scott M." wrote:
    >
    >> I have seen this type of account appear when a system has joined a domain
    >> and then been removed from the domain. The account is a remnant of an
    >> account that was deleted from the system but stills belongs to your
    >> machine's administrator group (that usually happens when your machine is
    >> connected to a domain and an account is deleted on it.
    >>

    >> "geekseeker" <geekseeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks, Scott. That was most helpful.
    >> >
    >> > Perhaps you might know the answer to another user-permissions related
    >> > anomaly that is occuring when I scan my desktop with Microsoft Baseline
    >> > Security Analyzer 2.0 ... it tells me I have three administrators, two
    >> > that I
    >> > expected (myself and the default "Administrator") and one that I didn't
    >> > expect by the name of "S-1-5-21-3779935395-2437969446-162025716-1003"
    >> > This
    >> > latter one does not show up when looking at users via the control panel
    >> > or
    >> > using Start...Run...control userpasswords2 to detect User Accounts.
    >> > When
    >> > did a registry search I found it only in one folder with the name
    >> > "Protected
    >> > Storage System Provider" Any idea where this strange-named
    >> > administrator
    >> > comes from?

Microsoft User Accounts Windows XP