ATI partners video cards

Brent

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a new video card. ATI has always been good to me and I
was thinking of going back to them. However I see a number of 3rd party
partners developing cards on the same ATI radeon chips. My question is are
the third party(eg. his, sapphire, powercolor)creating video cards that are
of comparable quality to the ATI cards?

Thanks

Brent.

Brent wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking to buy a new video card. ATI has always been good to me and I
> was thinking of going back to them. However I see a number of 3rd party
> partners developing cards on the same ATI radeon chips. My question is are
> the third party(eg. his, sapphire, powercolor)creating video cards that are
> of comparable quality to the ATI cards?

I've had a Sapphire 9800 Pro and now an X800XL... both excellent.

Ben

tonyc

"Ben Pope" <benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've had a Sapphire 9800 Pro and now an X800XL... both excellent.
>
> Ben

Are you happy with your X800XL? Is it using PCI-e? Managed to overclock
it? I'm currently trying to figure out which card is best for me, between
6600GT, 6800GT, and X800XL. I want to be able to run games at full detail
at 1280x1024, but not bothered about AA etc. (maybe because I've never
experienced it). Those XL's sure do look great value for money.

TonyC

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

"TonyC" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message

> Are you happy with your X800XL? Is it using PCI-e? Managed to overclock
> it? I'm currently trying to figure out which card is best for me, between
> 6600GT, 6800GT, and X800XL. I want to be able to run games at full detail
> at 1280x1024, but not bothered about AA etc. (maybe because I've never
> experienced it). Those XL's sure do look great value for money.

A 6600GT will run all games at 1280x1024 as long as you don't turn on AA.
Get a 6800GT or X800XL if you want to run AA or a higher res.

DaveL

TonyC wrote:
> "Ben Pope" <benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I've had a Sapphire 9800 Pro and now an X800XL... both excellent.
>>
>>Ben
>

> Are you happy with your X800XL?

Yep.

> Is it using PCI-e?

Yep.

> Managed to overclock it?

Not tried.

> I'm currently trying to figure out which card is best for me, between
> 6600GT, 6800GT, and X800XL.

The X800XL is on a par (within 4%) with the 6800GT. It thrashes the 6600GT.

> I want to be able to run games at full detail
> at 1280x1024, but not bothered about AA etc. (maybe because I've never
> experienced it). Those XL's sure do look great value for money.

With a half decent CPU, 1280x1024 shouldn't be a problem.

If you're using 1280x1024 on a 17" display, sticking 2xAA on it
definately helps the jagged edges, takes your eye of them and doesn't
hit performance too much.

For a laugh I fired up NFSU2 with full details at 1600x1200 (don't think
I had AA or AF) and it was playable, but a little jerky. at 1280x1024
you have a third less pixels.

Ben

geoff

"Brent" <b_i_g55@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking to buy a new video card. ATI has always
> been good to me and I was thinking of going back to them.
> However I see a number of 3rd party partners developing
> cards on the same ATI radeon chips. My question is are
> the third party(eg. his, sapphire, powercolor)creating
> video cards that are of comparable quality to the ATI
> cards?

third party manufacturer buys ATI chip, sticks it on board, sells it, the
end
or the ATI way
ATI make chip, stick it on board, sell it, the end

same deal with nvidia

Geoff wrote:
> "Brent" <b_i_g55@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I am looking to buy a new video card. ATI has always
>>been good to me and I was thinking of going back to them.
>>However I see a number of 3rd party partners developing
>>cards on the same ATI radeon chips. My question is are
>>the third party(eg. his, sapphire, powercolor)creating
>>video cards that are of comparable quality to the ATI
>>cards?
>

> third party manufacturer buys ATI chip, sticks it on board, sells it, the
> end
> or the ATI way
> ATI make chip, stick it on board, sell it, the end
>
> same deal with nvidia

It's not quite that simple.

Most companies use the reference board, but some don't. Much component
choice is also to third party where they could cut corners.

In this respect, boards with ATI chips have tended to be better/more
consistant than nVidia. These days I think it's all pretty much for
muchness, but the possibility is there.

Ben

Ben Pope schrieb:
> Geoff wrote:
>
>> "Brent" <b_i_g55@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am looking to buy a new video card. ATI has always
>>> been good to me and I was thinking of going back to them.
>>> However I see a number of 3rd party partners developing
>>> cards on the same ATI radeon chips. My question is are
>>> the third party(eg. his, sapphire, powercolor)creating
>>> video cards that are of comparable quality to the ATI
>>> cards?
>>

>> third party manufacturer buys ATI chip, sticks it on board, sells it,
>> the end
>> or the ATI way
>> ATI make chip, stick it on board, sell it, the end
>>
>> same deal with nvidia
>

> It's not quite that simple.
>
> Most companies use the reference board, but some don't. Much component
> choice is also to third party where they could cut corners.
>
> In this respect, boards with ATI chips have tended to be better/more
> consistant than nVidia. These days I think it's all pretty much for
> muchness, but the possibility is there.
>
> Ben

Hi

I use a Club 3D X800XL PCIE. Call of Duty (full det.) with 1152 res 4AA,
8AF Qual. = 90 fps.

Michael