Using knoppix to repair admin login

I am trying to use knoppix to logon to my windows box locally. When I find
the SAM file in the repair folder in the windows folder the file is write
only and is in binary. How do I use the knoppix to fix this problem ? Any
suggestions on repairing or where to find info to research would be
appreciated.

You cannot use "knoppix" to logon to Windows XP.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Steve G" wrote:

| I am trying to use knoppix to logon to my windows box locally. When I find
| the SAM file in the repair folder in the windows folder the file is write
| only and is in binary. How do I use the knoppix to fix this problem ? Any
| suggestions on repairing or where to find info to research would be
| appreciated.

I am using knoppix to reset the admin password for my win xp box. The
previous admin for our machines is not co-operating with my requests for
help. While researching fixes for resetting the admin password I came across
the solution of using knoppix to repair this issue and now I am stuck again.

Steve G wrote:
> I am trying to use knoppix to logon to my windows box locally. When I
> find the SAM file in the repair folder in the windows folder the file
> is write only and is in binary. How do I use the knoppix to fix this
> problem ? Any suggestions on repairing or where to find info to
> research would be appreciated.

That's one way..

Many password hacks out there.. Here are a couple. Something like the
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows with the right extras would be great to have
around to.. Not to mention something like ERD commander.

Look here:

and/or try these..
Hack your password:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Another Password Hack:
http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

map

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> You cannot use "knoppix" to logon to Windows XP.

Thats funny, I have a copy of knoppix and even through I have not played
with it much (so I can't answer the posters ?) the program says that you can
access windows with it,or at least programs and files?

Mike Pawlak

>> I am trying to use knoppix to logon to my windows box locally. When
>> I find the SAM file in the repair folder in the windows folder the
>> file is write only and is in binary. How do I use the knoppix to fix
>> this problem ? Any suggestions on repairing or where to find info to
>> research would be appreciated.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

* MAP <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com>:
> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>> You cannot use "knoppix" to logon to Windows XP.
>
> Thats funny, I have a copy of knoppix and even through I have not played
> with it much (so I can't answer the posters ?) the program says that you can
> access windows with it,or at least programs and files?
>
> Mike Pawlak

That's correct Mike you can but then Carey is also correct (overly AR
though :) ) in that you can't logon to XP using knoppix.

Jason

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Knoppix by default has read only access to NTFS drives. To turn on write
access -

- Use of the Captive NTFS tool to allows writable access to an NTFS
formatted partition.
- Click on the K button in the lower left corner of the screen. This will
bring up a menu like the Windows Start Menu. Enter the "KNOPPIX" submenu.
Enter the "Utilities" submenu. Select "Captive NTFS".
- Follow the instructions on the screen. Once ntfs.sys and ntoskernel.sys
are found you may click Ok to finish the program.

You might also be interested in Computer First Aid Using Knoppix -
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
--

"Steve G" <SteveG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to use knoppix to logon to my windows box locally. When I find
> the SAM file in the repair folder in the windows folder the file is write
> only and is in binary. How do I use the knoppix to fix this problem ? Any
> suggestions on repairing or where to find info to research would be
> appreciated.

map

Jason wrote:
> * MAP <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com>:
>> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>>> You cannot use "knoppix" to logon to Windows XP.
>>
>> Thats funny, I have a copy of knoppix and even through I have not
>> played with it much (so I can't answer the posters ?) the program
>> says that you can access windows with it,or at least programs and
>> files?
>>
>> Mike Pawlak
>>

> That's correct Mike you can but then Carey is also correct (overly AR
> though :) ) in that you can't logon to XP using knoppix.
>
> Jason

Thanx Jason,maybe it's time for me to explore knoppix alittle more.

--
Mike Pawlak

TRENDING THREADS