ATI 9800 Pro woes

SERVO

I just purchased an OEM ATI 9800 Pro 256mb AGP and tried to install it
in my Gigabyte GA-7n400 mobo. I attached the power cable and everything
just like the Getting Started manual says. When I power up, my PC
flashes on for a split second and shuts right off. If I disconnect the
power cable from the ATI card, power back up, and QUICKLY connect the
power cable back to the card, it boots up just fine. HAs anyone had any
weird experiences like this? Is it unique to Gigabyte mobos? ANy help
would be very....uh, helpful!
TIA!
--
Servo
"Happy trails, Hans!"

He servo,
Try Turning the monitor on *after* the computer starts booting.
--
Tally Ho!
Ed

Servo wrote:
> I just purchased an OEM ATI 9800 Pro 256mb AGP and tried to install it
> in my Gigabyte GA-7n400 mobo. I attached the power cable and everything
> just like the Getting Started manual says. When I power up, my PC
> flashes on for a split second and shuts right off. If I disconnect the
> power cable from the ATI card, power back up, and QUICKLY connect the
> power cable back to the card, it boots up just fine.

Your video card is not hot-pluggable. DO NOT try to hot-plug it.

Buy a PSU capable of supplying enough current to support firing up
everything together.

Ben

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> flashes on for a split second and shuts right off. If I disconnect the
> power cable from the ATI card, power back up, and QUICKLY connect the
> power cable back to the card, it boots up just fine. HAs anyone had any

CUT THIS OUT AT ONCE! Yes I know I was yelling. If you are "lucky" you card
and mobo does not get fried doing that. But connecting the power to an
already running computer gpu was not intended by the manufactuerer.

I think you PSU isn´t good enough to take the startup power draw. Post the
details of your PSU and we can tell you.

But do not post the Watts only. We need all data especially the ampere
numbers. All the data needed is printed on the side of the PSU.

Post them and we might be able to tell you if you need a new PSU or anything
else goes wrong.

Which Videocard did you have installed before upgrading to the 9800pro?

Frank

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Servo" <SPAMMERS@GETCANCER.NUTS> wrote in message
>I just purchased an OEM ATI 9800 Pro 256mb AGP and tried to install it in
>my Gigabyte GA-7n400 mobo. I attached the power cable and everything just
>like the Getting Started manual says. When I power up, my PC flashes on for
>a split second and shuts right off. If I disconnect the power cable from
>the ATI card, power back up, and QUICKLY connect the power cable back to
>the card, it boots up just fine. HAs anyone had any weird experiences like
>this? Is it unique to Gigabyte mobos? ANy help would be very....uh,
>helpful!
> TIA!

Probably and inadequate generic p/s unable to supply the amps needed at
bootup to the card. You're lucky you didn't kill the card with that power
cable trick. Upgrade to a decent 350W + Enermax power supply ( or other
brand name) and it should behave normally.

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Augustus wrote:
> "Servo" <SPAMMERS@GETCANCER.NUTS> wrote in message
>
>>I just purchased an OEM ATI 9800 Pro 256mb AGP and tried to install it in
>>my Gigabyte GA-7n400 mobo. I attached the power cable and everything just
>>like the Getting Started manual says. When I power up, my PC flashes on for
>>a split second and shuts right off. If I disconnect the power cable from
>>the ATI card, power back up, and QUICKLY connect the power cable back to
>>the card, it boots up just fine. HAs anyone had any weird experiences like
>>this? Is it unique to Gigabyte mobos? ANy help would be very....uh,
>>helpful!
>>TIA!
>

> Probably and inadequate generic p/s unable to supply the amps needed at
> bootup to the card. You're lucky you didn't kill the card with that power
> cable trick. Upgrade to a decent 350W + Enermax power supply ( or other
> brand name) and it should behave normally.

This is a know fix for a problem with some ATI cards and certain power
supplies, so plugging the card in after the system starts has been done
for quite a while now. I myself have a time delay circuit installed
between my power supply and the card.
And yes, ATI are aware of this problem, and yes they will RMA the card
and perform some fix, mine 'almost' works now without the delay, before
it wouldn't post at all, now it will 30% of the time.

To get back to the original poster, it certainly sounds like you need a
larger power supply when it shuts off like that.

Ray

SERVO

Augustus wrote:

> Probably and inadequate generic p/s unable to supply the amps needed at
> bootup to the card. You're lucky you didn't kill the card with that power
> cable trick. Upgrade to a decent 350W + Enermax power supply ( or other
> brand name) and it should behave normally.

Hmmmm...I'm already running an Antec 480w PSU...a 350 would definitely
be a step backwards. I'm looking to move uo to a 550w PAS and see if
that helps

--
Servo
"Don't press your luck, Carter"

Augustus wrote:

> Probably and inadequate generic p/s unable to supply the amps needed at
> bootup to the card. You're lucky you didn't kill the card with that power
> cable trick. Upgrade to a decent 350W + Enermax power supply ( or other
> brand name) and it should behave normally.

Hmmmm...I'm already running an Antec 480w PSU...a 350 would definitely
be a step backwards. I'm looking to move uo to a 550w PSu and see if
that helps. Thanks for the reply tho.

--
Servo
"Don't press your luck, Carter"
tservo100 at
ameritech dot net
Slow, fiery death to all spammers!!!

I'm using a 435 Watt Enermax, I thought Antec had a good rep. If I suspected
the power supply I would remove all non-essential loads from the PSU (CD-ROM
and hard drives) then see if the system powered up w/no problems.

--
Remove nospam to email

Doug wrote:
> I'm using a 435 Watt Enermax, I thought Antec had a good rep. If I suspected
> the power supply I would remove all non-essential loads from the PSU (CD-ROM
> and hard drives) then see if the system powered up w/no problems.

That was my next strategy, I'll give it a try as soon as I get a chance.
Doug do I understand that you're running a 9800 with a 435 watt PSU? And
it runs OK?

--

Servo wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>
>> I'm using a 435 Watt Enermax, I thought Antec had a good rep. If I
>> suspected the power supply I would remove all non-essential loads from
>> the PSU (CD-ROM and hard drives) then see if the system powered up
>> w/no problems.
>>
> That was my next strategy, I'll give it a try as soon as I get a chance.
> Doug do I understand that you're running a 9800 with a 435 watt PSU? And
> it runs OK?

You can run a 9800 Pro with other devices (even a prescott CPU) on a
300W PSU as long as it is a quality one. From what I have read the 9800
Pro loads up the 3.3v and 5v lines more than the 12v.

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

ofn01 wrote:
> Servo wrote:
>
>> Doug wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using a 435 Watt Enermax, I thought Antec had a good rep. If I
>>> suspected the power supply I would remove all non-essential loads
>>> from the PSU (CD-ROM and hard drives) then see if the system powered
>>> up w/no problems.
>>>
>> That was my next strategy, I'll give it a try as soon as I get a
>> chance. Doug do I understand that you're running a 9800 with a 435
>> watt PSU? And it runs OK?
>>
> You can run a 9800 Pro with other devices (even a prescott CPU) on a
> 300W PSU as long as it is a quality one. From what I have read the 9800
> Pro loads up the 3.3v and 5v lines more than the 12v.

Knowledge Base
ATI Customer Care > Solve a Problem > Display >
System does not post on a limited amount of Power Supplies

This issue affects the following system configurations:

* ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 Series
* ALL-IN-WONDER 9700 Series
* RADEON 9800 Series
* RADEON 9700 Series
* RADEON 9500 Series

Some users have reported that the system will fail to post, or the
motherboard will beep with a video adapter error.

This issue does not affect all system combinations.

ATI Customer Care is actively investigating the reported issues.

Determine if a BIOS update is available for your motherboard, and
determine if the system posts with the auxiliary power cable
disconnected from the graphics board (you will see a message on screen
stating to connect the power cable).

If you continue to experience this issue after updating the BIOS,
please contact ATI Customer Care with the following information:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894