ATI X800XL 256 mb ddr3 AGP?

Is this an upgrade card from the X800 Pro or a down grade (crippeled
version)? It is on sale at Future Shop in Vancouver for $399.00. I currently
have an ATI 9800 pro 256 bit 128 meg card on an Athlon xp Barton 3200
system. The X800 pro still retails in my area for over $500.00. Are either
card a worthy upgrade or is it time to scrap the works and start over with a
AMD 64 3000+ system with PCI video card. Main game I play is flight sim
2004.
Cheers
Milo
5 answers Last reply
More about x800xl ddr3

    In article <wq%ce.1181471$8l.224880@pd7tw1no>, milom@shaw.ca says...
    > Is this an upgrade card from the X800 Pro or a down grade (crippeled
    > version)? It is on sale at Future Shop in Vancouver for $399.00. I currently
    > have an ATI 9800 pro 256 bit 128 meg card on an Athlon xp Barton 3200
    > system. The X800 pro still retails in my area for over $500.00. Are either
    > card a worthy upgrade or is it time to scrap the works and start over with a
    > AMD 64 3000+ system with PCI video card. Main game I play is flight sim
    > 2004.

    Aren't games like FlightSim more CPU-limited more than GPU-limited?

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    Milo Malhame wrote:
    > Is this an upgrade card from the X800 Pro or a down grade (crippeled
    > version)?

    It's on a different manufacturing process... It's a lower clocked X800XT
    (i.e., it has 16 pipelines instead of 12.)

    Check out the comparison on ATI's website. Or Anandtech, tomshardware etc.

    It's not really an "upgrade", but it is better.

    > It is on sale at Future Shop in Vancouver for $399.00. I currently
    > have an ATI 9800 pro 256 bit 128 meg card on an Athlon xp Barton 3200
    > system. The X800 pro still retails in my area for over $500.00. Are either
    > card a worthy upgrade or is it time to scrap the works and start over with a
    > AMD 64 3000+ system with PCI video card. Main game I play is flight sim
    > 2004.

    I went from an Barton 2500 with 9800 Pro to an AMD64 3000+ with an
    X800XL, it's a good upgrade, but not necessarily worth it.

    If you want your games faster, then it's probably worth going for AMD64
    as well. PCI-E is the way it's going. I decided to move from AGP now,
    I was doing mobo & processor anyway and the 9800 would have been the
    weak link.

    I think an X800XL would be held back a bit by am AthlonXP system.

    Ben

    I hope you got your athlon 64 3000 overclocked! I notice a big difference is
    games having it at 2.3ghz rather than 1.8ghz. This is with a 6600GT.

    Dan

    Dan wrote:
    > I hope you got your athlon 64 3000 overclocked! I notice a big difference is
    > games having it at 2.3ghz rather than 1.8ghz. This is with a 6600GT.

    I haven't.

    Right now I've got a project on, and don't have much time to play with
    overclocking.

    I had some issues with my memory (Corsair TwinX-1024-3200LL) on the MSI
    K8N Diamond. Right now, it works, I'm happy.

    Ben

    Milo Malhame wrote:
    > Is this an upgrade card from the X800 Pro or a down grade (crippeled
    > version)? It is on sale at Future Shop in Vancouver for $399.00. I currently
    > have an ATI 9800 pro 256 bit 128 meg card on an Athlon xp Barton 3200
    > system. The X800 pro still retails in my area for over $500.00. Are either
    > card a worthy upgrade or is it time to scrap the works and start over with a
    > AMD 64 3000+ system with PCI video card. Main game I play is flight sim
    > 2004.
    > Cheers
    > Milo

    The XL is more powerful than X800Pro ,and in some cases even comes close
    to the X850XT. It is cheaper than X800 Pro because of a new
    manufacturing process.

    --
    Join the Fire!
    www.spreadfirefox.com