when do i need to reboot?

I'm experimenting with network sharing and permission setting, users, etc in
a workgroup LAN. This experiment is very slow to do because sometimes after
changing an account password, I have to reboot thisPC with the shared folder
in order for otherPC to access the folder. Sometimes I even have to reboot
otherPC to gain access to the folder even though all I change is the
password on thisPC.

Could someone give me a hint on when or why I need to reboot?
1 answer Last reply
More about when reboot

    Hi Peter,

    Thanks for posting here.

    From your post, my understanding of this issue is: You want to know why you
    have to restart the computer with shared folder even and the Client
    computer, to access the shared folder successfully from the client, after
    changing the user's password in the "Server" computer. If this is not
    correct, please feel free to let me know.

    Based on my experience, this issue may occur if you have accessed the
    shared folder before the password changing, since there have been a session
    between the Client and the Server. In this case, you may try to close the
    previous session and create a new one. You may use the following command
    to delete the exist connection and then try to access the shared folder
    again:

    net use * /d

    If this cannot help you on your issue, please let me know the error message
    verbatim if you don't restart and access the shared folder directly after
    changing password.

    Hope this helps!

    Have a nice day!

    Sincerely,
    Tom Che
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: "peter" <nospam@nospam.com>
    >Subject: when do i need to reboot?
    >Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:33:27 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    >
    >I'm experimenting with network sharing and permission setting, users, etc
    in
    >a workgroup LAN. This experiment is very slow to do because sometimes
    after
    >changing an account password, I have to reboot thisPC with the shared
    folder
    >in order for otherPC to access the folder. Sometimes I even have to reboot
    >otherPC to gain access to the folder even though all I change is the
    >password on thisPC.
    >
    >Could someone give me a hint on when or why I need to reboot?

Security Microsoft Windows XP