Accessing documents under old user accounts

Recently my computer was infected by a worm that ate up my system resources.
I was not able to restore the system back to a previous state, nor was I able
to back-up my documents, so I was forced to reinstall Windows XP Professional
version 2002 and all of my other applications. A new Active Directory was
created, giving me new user accounts, even though I used the same user names
that had been created under the old installation. Under one of the old user
accounts, I had a folder that was password protected, and it contained
several important documents. Since the new Active Directory does not
recognize that old user folder, I can not gain access to the folder to
retrieve the files, even when logged on as the administrator. I get an error
message that reads:
“C:\Documents and Settings\P\My Documents\P is not accessible. Access is
denied.�

Is there any way to unlock that folder so that I can access my documents?
1 answer Last reply
More about accessing documents user accounts

    Take Ownership, #9 on this link:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "pking" <pking@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently my computer was infected by a worm that ate up my system
    > resources.
    > I was not able to restore the system back to a previous state, nor was I
    > able
    > to back-up my documents, so I was forced to reinstall Windows XP
    > Professional
    > version 2002 and all of my other applications. A new Active Directory was
    > created, giving me new user accounts, even though I used the same user
    > names
    > that had been created under the old installation. Under one of the old
    > user
    > accounts, I had a folder that was password protected, and it contained
    > several important documents. Since the new Active Directory does not
    > recognize that old user folder, I can not gain access to the folder to
    > retrieve the files, even when logged on as the administrator. I get an
    > error
    > message that reads:
    > "C:\Documents and Settings\P\My Documents\P is not accessible. Access is
    > denied."
    >
    > Is there any way to unlock that folder so that I can access my documents?

My Documents User Accounts Active Directory Windows XP