FSAA in Call of Duty?

I tried set r_arb_fsaa_samples 4 and 2 by pressing the esc key and couldn't
see any difference. I tried restarting the level - still no difference.

Is there anyone who knows how to enable FSAA in COD and can explain where
I'm going wrong?

Thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about fsaa call duty

    BTW I'm using the ATI drivers from last month and the PC has COD 1.4 on it.
    I don't need the 1.5 server patch or the drivers from this month from what
    I've read.

    boe schrieb:
    > BTW I'm using the ATI drivers from last month and the PC has COD 1.4 on it.
    > I don't need the 1.5 server patch or the drivers from this month from what
    > I've read.
    >
    > "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I tried set r_arb_fsaa_samples 4 and 2 by pressing the esc key and
    >>couldn't see any difference. I tried restarting the level - still no
    >>difference.
    >>
    >>Is there anyone who knows how to enable FSAA in COD and can explain where
    >>I'm going wrong?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    I do it in the ATI Control Panel. I can see the difference in the game.
    I use 4xAA, 8xAF Qual. setting with my X800XL.

    Michael

    Thanks - I just tried that now. I didn't notice any difference although
    about a minute into the game it got darker all of a sudden but the textures
    looked about the same to me.

    boe schrieb:
    > Thanks - I just tried that now. I didn't notice any difference although
    > about a minute into the game it got darker all of a sudden but the textures
    > looked about the same to me.
    >
    > "M. Ziegler" <ziegler99@gmx.de> wrote in message
    >
    >>boe schrieb:
    >>
    >>>BTW I'm using the ATI drivers from last month and the PC has COD 1.4 on
    >>>it. I don't need the 1.5 server patch or the drivers from this month from
    >>>what I've read.
    >>>
    >>>"boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> I do it in the ATI Control Panel. I can see the difference in the game.
    >>I use 4xAA, 8xAF Qual. setting with my X800XL.
    >>
    >>Michael

    Do it with the ATI Control Panel under OpenGL setting, not DirectX!!!
    In CoD video options use 32bit and trilinear anis. setting.

    Michael

    Thanks for hanging in there in my ati controle panel I have a section called
    3d - it doesn't seem to differentiate between DirectX or OpenGl
    > boe schrieb:
    >> Thanks - I just tried that now. I didn't notice any difference although
    >> about a minute into the game it got darker all of a sudden but the
    >> textures looked about the same to me.
    >>
    >> "M. Ziegler" <ziegler99@gmx.de> wrote in message

    >>> I do it in the ATI Control Panel. I can see the difference in the game.
    >>>I use 4xAA, 8xAF Qual. setting with my X800XL.
    >>>
    >>>Michael
    >>

    > Do it with the ATI Control Panel under OpenGL setting, not DirectX!!!
    > In CoD video options use 32bit and trilinear anis. setting.
    >
    > Michael

    Isn't COD is a DirectX game?

    DaveL

    "M. Ziegler" <ziegler99@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > Do it with the ATI Control Panel under OpenGL setting, not DirectX!!!
    > In CoD video options use 32bit and trilinear anis. setting.
    >
    > Michael

    What drivers are you using? There should be separate controls for D3D and
    OpenGL, selectable by clicking the appropriate radio button, then clicking
    "custom".

    "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Isn't COD is a DirectX game?

    No, definitely an OpenGL game a la Quake 3 (it uses the same engine afaik).

    Boe - sounds to me like your card drivers aren't installed properly. Yes,
    you should have a tab called 3D but within that there should be an option
    for DirectX and OpenGL. Select OpenGL and set the options and then Apply or
    OK. If you still can't see the options, I would suggest reading this:
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33738545 and read the purging
    section and then reapply your drivers. Also, what changes are expecting to
    see by applying AA?

    "I didn't notice any difference although about a minute into the game it got
    darker all of a sudden but the textures looked about the same to me."

    FSAA simply deals with the 'jaggies' that many games experience. Think of a
    diagonal line made up of lots of little steps or 'jaggies' - FSAA will
    average this out into as close as a straight line as it can. It simply makes
    the edges of shapes smoother - it doesn't change the textures as such.

    Glennbo

    I used a couple of utilities to remove all the drivers and have reinstalled
    using the latest drivers with the .net control center.

    Under graphics settings there is a 3d group. I have:
    Standard settings
    Anti-Aliasing
    Anisotropic FIlter
    Catalyst AI
    MipMap
    TrueForm
    SmartShader
    No Preview
    API Specific

    I do not see any OPENGL DirectX option there.

    Thee is One section for Open GL which lets me pick Triple buffering and
    force 24 bit z-buffer depth.

    Is anyone else here useing the .net control center?

    First of One schrieb:
    > What drivers are you using? There should be separate controls for D3D and
    > OpenGL, selectable by clicking the appropriate radio button, then clicking
    > "custom".

    I use the ATI 5.4 Cat driver with the Control Panel, not the memory
    hungry Control Center. Look for the 3D Tab and then OpenGL!

    Michael

    I guess the .net version doesn't have an OpenGL section - strange.

    > First of One schrieb:
    >> What drivers are you using? There should be separate controls for D3D and
    >> OpenGL, selectable by clicking the appropriate radio button, then
    >> clicking "custom".
    >>

    > I use the ATI 5.4 Cat driver with the Control Panel, not the memory hungry
    > Control Center. Look for the 3D Tab and then OpenGL!
    >
    > Michael

    The control panel version of the drivers still seem to have D3D and OGL
    "coupled" to a certain extent. See my other post regarding Doom III and FSAA
    in D3D.

    >I guess the .net version doesn't have an OpenGL section - strange.

    I looked for other posts - are you referring to diminished FPS?

    > The control panel version of the drivers still seem to have D3D and OGL
    > "coupled" to a certain extent. See my other post regarding Doom III and
    > FSAA in D3D.

    > "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I guess the .net version doesn't have an OpenGL section - strange.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Not exactly... What I found so far is:

    - You must enable FSAA in both the D3D and OGL control panels to see
    anti-aliasing in OGL games.

    - You must disable FSAA in both the D3D and OGL panels for the anti-aliasing
    effects (both visual and speed-wise) to be completely removed in OGL games.

    - If FSAA is disabled in OGL but left on in D3D, in OGL games the
    anti-aliasing will be gone, but the framerates will remain low as though the
    extra graphics overhead associated with FSAA is still present.

    Back in the 3dfx days, there was speculation that the Voodoo5 Win2000 driver
    briefly had the OGL routines going through D3D in emulation. Maybe ATi's
    doing the same?

    >I looked for other posts - are you referring to diminished FPS?

Radeon Call of Duty ATI Graphics