advice with wireless network??

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
July 4, 2004 4:44:53 PM

hi,

i want to create a home wireless network. i have ntl broadband internet,
which is a 150k. i have a pc with usb ports, and a new laptop. i want to
create a wireless network, and want to know the following?

(BELKIN)
wireless router- f5d6321uk4
pc card (laptop)- f5d6001uk

(will need to get usb adpater, to connect directly to pc)

1. are the above devices correct for my use?
2. wat r the main differences between 'b' and 'g'. in terms of speed,
compatibility. will it appeal to me, as i have a slow internet speed.
3. can i use the laptop only, if the pc is off. (e.g. will the speed of the
laptop increase, as the pc is off, and therefore not using bandwidth.
4. can i share, and play games over the connection. (e.g. play unreal, halo,
over the wireless network from pc to laptop?)
5. can u explain the main advanatges and disadvanatges of this network?
6. r all the devices i want to buy, compatible?

thanx

devin panchal
July 4, 2004 4:44:54 PM

Well, the F5D6001 appears to be a PCI card for a desktop. Do you have
a PCMCIA slot on your laptop? If yes, get a wireless PC card. F5D6020.
If there is no PCMCIA slot, get the USB adapter, F5D6050. If I was
installing new, I would go with "G". With the router, any PC can use
the internet independent of any other computer. You probably won't
notice any difference in internet speed unless two people are doing
heavy duty surfing at the same time. Your 150k internet connection is
slow compared to "B" 11MBs or "G" 54MBs. Don't know about the games.

Good luck, hawk

Devin Panchal wrote:

> hi,
>
> i want to create a home wireless network. i have ntl broadband internet,
> which is a 150k. i have a pc with usb ports, and a new laptop. i want to
> create a wireless network, and want to know the following?
>
> (BELKIN)
> wireless router- f5d6321uk4
> pc card (laptop)- f5d6001uk
>
> (will need to get usb adpater, to connect directly to pc)
>
> 1. are the above devices correct for my use?
> 2. wat r the main differences between 'b' and 'g'. in terms of speed,
> compatibility. will it appeal to me, as i have a slow internet speed.
> 3. can i use the laptop only, if the pc is off. (e.g. will the speed of the
> laptop increase, as the pc is off, and therefore not using bandwidth.
> 4. can i share, and play games over the connection. (e.g. play unreal, halo,
> over the wireless network from pc to laptop?)
> 5. can u explain the main advanatges and disadvanatges of this network?
> 6. r all the devices i want to buy, compatible?
>
> thanx
>
> devin panchal

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 4, 2004 4:44:55 PM

Just to clear things up...the 11 Mbps and 54Mbps have nothing to do with
internet connection speeds. Those figures represent the max transfer rate
between computers on the LAN; however you will not get anywhere near those
figures in the real world. Your internet download speed of 150k is very
low, and falls well within the range of either B or G. G offers greater
speed on the LAN and has much better security. If G is an option, go G. Be
aware that since G modems are backwards compatible with B, if you set your
network up as a G network and introduce a single B device, the entire
network will drop to B speed and security.

Bobby

"hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message
> Well, the F5D6001 appears to be a PCI card for a desktop. Do you have a
> PCMCIA slot on your laptop? If yes, get a wireless PC card. F5D6020. If
> there is no PCMCIA slot, get the USB adapter, F5D6050. If I was installing
> new, I would go with "G". With the router, any PC can use the internet
> independent of any other computer. You probably won't notice any
> difference in internet speed unless two people are doing heavy duty
> surfing at the same time. Your 150k internet connection is slow compared
> to "B" 11MBs or "G" 54MBs. Don't know about the games.
>
> Good luck, hawk
>
> Devin Panchal wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i want to create a home wireless network. i have ntl broadband internet,
>> which is a 150k. i have a pc with usb ports, and a new laptop. i want to
>> create a wireless network, and want to know the following?
>>
>> (BELKIN)
>> wireless router- f5d6321uk4
>> pc card (laptop)- f5d6001uk
>>
>> (will need to get usb adpater, to connect directly to pc)
>>
>> 1. are the above devices correct for my use?
>> 2. wat r the main differences between 'b' and 'g'. in terms of speed,
>> compatibility. will it appeal to me, as i have a slow internet speed.
>> 3. can i use the laptop only, if the pc is off. (e.g. will the speed of
>> the
>> laptop increase, as the pc is off, and therefore not using bandwidth.
>> 4. can i share, and play games over the connection. (e.g. play unreal,
>> halo,
>> over the wireless network from pc to laptop?)
>> 5. can u explain the main advanatges and disadvanatges of this network?
>> 6. r all the devices i want to buy, compatible?
>>
>> thanx
>>
>> devin panchal

a b D Laptop
July 6, 2004 11:01:56 PM

some more questions.

1. wat is the range of the wireless network. and through walls.
2. does adding all the software/drivers, etc. slow the peroformance of the
computer down. (e.g. does it add anything to startup and registry startup.
e.g. msconfig??)

thanx

devin

"NoNoBadDog!" <mysocks_bjsledge_AT_pixi.com> wrote in message
> Just to clear things up...the 11 Mbps and 54Mbps have nothing to do with
> internet connection speeds. Those figures represent the max transfer rate
> between computers on the LAN; however you will not get anywhere near those
> figures in the real world. Your internet download speed of 150k is very
> low, and falls well within the range of either B or G. G offers greater
> speed on the LAN and has much better security. If G is an option, go G.
Be
> aware that since G modems are backwards compatible with B, if you set your
> network up as a G network and introduce a single B device, the entire
> network will drop to B speed and security.
>
> Bobby
>
> "hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message
> > Well, the F5D6001 appears to be a PCI card for a desktop. Do you have a
> > PCMCIA slot on your laptop? If yes, get a wireless PC card. F5D6020. If
> > there is no PCMCIA slot, get the USB adapter, F5D6050. If I was
installing
> > new, I would go with "G". With the router, any PC can use the internet
> > independent of any other computer. You probably won't notice any
> > difference in internet speed unless two people are doing heavy duty
> > surfing at the same time. Your 150k internet connection is slow compared
> > to "B" 11MBs or "G" 54MBs. Don't know about the games.
> >
> > Good luck, hawk
> >
> > Devin Panchal wrote:
> >
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> i want to create a home wireless network. i have ntl broadband
internet,
> >> which is a 150k. i have a pc with usb ports, and a new laptop. i want
> >> create a wireless network, and want to know the following?
> >>
> >> (BELKIN)
> >> wireless router- f5d6321uk4
> >> pc card (laptop)- f5d6001uk
> >>
> >> (will need to get usb adpater, to connect directly to pc)
> >>
> >> 1. are the above devices correct for my use?
> >> 2. wat r the main differences between 'b' and 'g'. in terms of speed,
> >> compatibility. will it appeal to me, as i have a slow internet speed.
> >> 3. can i use the laptop only, if the pc is off. (e.g. will the speed of
> >> the
> >> laptop increase, as the pc is off, and therefore not using bandwidth.
> >> 4. can i share, and play games over the connection. (e.g. play unreal,
> >> halo,
> >> over the wireless network from pc to laptop?)
> >> 5. can u explain the main advanatges and disadvanatges of this network?
> >> 6. r all the devices i want to buy, compatible?
> >>
> >> thanx
> >>
> >> devin panchal

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 6, 2004 11:01:57 PM

Cannot answer question #1. There are too many variable. Some of the
variables are what are the walls made of? Are the wall studs wood or
aluminum? How much conduit (electrical, water, heating) is in the vicinity?
What other signals are in the vicinity (cordless phones, microwaves, other
wireless networks)? Even the placement of the router affects this. Also, the
power level at the output stage and the type of antenna the router/AP uses
has a significant impact on the ability to transmit through walls/floors.
FWIW, one of the best routers on the market for transmitting through
walls/floors is a brand called Buffalo. Their products perform when other
routers can't even be seen.

The drivers should have little effect on the overall speed of the network.
How they affect your computer depends on the type of processor you have, the
amount of memory you have installed and is available to the Operating
System, and the quality of the Power Supply in your computer.

Please note that setting security on your network will have a minor impact
on your network speed...but I would recommend that you do set up our network
securely.

If speed is your major concern, then you are better off going with a wired
network. All things considered, a wired network will always be faster and
more secure than any wireless network.

Bobby

"Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> some more questions.
>
> 1. wat is the range of the wireless network. and through walls.
> 2. does adding all the software/drivers, etc. slow the peroformance of the
> computer down. (e.g. does it add anything to startup and registry startup.
> e.g. msconfig??)
>

> thanx
>
> devin
>

> "NoNoBadDog!" <mysocks_bjsledge_AT_pixi.com> wrote in message
>> Just to clear things up...the 11 Mbps and 54Mbps have nothing to do with
>> internet connection speeds. Those figures represent the max transfer
>> rate
>> between computers on the LAN; however you will not get anywhere near
>> those
>> figures in the real world. Your internet download speed of 150k is very
>> low, and falls well within the range of either B or G. G offers greater
>> speed on the LAN and has much better security. If G is an option, go G.
> Be
>> aware that since G modems are backwards compatible with B, if you set
>> your
>> network up as a G network and introduce a single B device, the entire
>> network will drop to B speed and security.
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message
>> > Well, the F5D6001 appears to be a PCI card for a desktop. Do you have a
>> > PCMCIA slot on your laptop? If yes, get a wireless PC card. F5D6020. If
>> > there is no PCMCIA slot, get the USB adapter, F5D6050. If I was
> installing
>> > new, I would go with "G". With the router, any PC can use the internet
>> > independent of any other computer. You probably won't notice any
>> > difference in internet speed unless two people are doing heavy duty
>> > surfing at the same time. Your 150k internet connection is slow
>> > compared
>> > to "B" 11MBs or "G" 54MBs. Don't know about the games.
>> >
>> > Good luck, hawk

> internet,

July 6, 2004 11:01:57 PM

Well, range depends on a lot of factors, but my routers typically
reach 50 feet through three ordinary house walls with excellent signal
strength.

Not sure what you mean by "..adding all the software/drivers..". You
have to install the software and drivers for the applications and
hardware that you want to use. If you mean the various services that
Windows starts, there are web sites that give advice on which are
necessary and which can be disabled. Blackviper is a good one.

hawk

Devin Panchal wrote:
> some more questions.
>
> 1. wat is the range of the wireless network. and through walls.
> 2. does adding all the software/drivers, etc. slow the peroformance of the
> computer down. (e.g. does it add anything to startup and registry startup.
> e.g. msconfig??)
>

> thanx
>
> devin
>

> "NoNoBadDog!" <mysocks_bjsledge_AT_pixi.com> wrote in message
>
>>Just to clear things up...the 11 Mbps and 54Mbps have nothing to do with
>>internet connection speeds. Those figures represent the max transfer rate
>>between computers on the LAN; however you will not get anywhere near those
>>figures in the real world. Your internet download speed of 150k is very
>>low, and falls well within the range of either B or G. G offers greater
>>speed on the LAN and has much better security. If G is an option, go G.
>
> Be
>
>>aware that since G modems are backwards compatible with B, if you set your
>>network up as a G network and introduce a single B device, the entire
>>network will drop to B speed and security.
>>
>>Bobby
>>
>>"hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Well, the F5D6001 appears to be a PCI card for a desktop. Do you have a
>>>PCMCIA slot on your laptop? If yes, get a wireless PC card. F5D6020. If
>>>there is no PCMCIA slot, get the USB adapter, F5D6050. If I was
>
> installing
>
>>>new, I would go with "G". With the router, any PC can use the internet
>>>independent of any other computer. You probably won't notice any
>>>difference in internet speed unless two people are doing heavy duty
>>>surfing at the same time. Your 150k internet connection is slow compared
>>>to "B" 11MBs or "G" 54MBs. Don't know about the games.
>>>
>>>Good luck, hawk

> internet,

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2004 8:52:47 PM

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:12:02 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
<mysocks_bjsledge_AT_pixi.com> wrote:

>Cannot answer question #1. There are too many variable. Some of the
>variables are what are the walls made of? Are the wall studs wood or
>aluminum? How much conduit (electrical, water, heating) is in the vicinity?
>What other signals are in the vicinity (cordless phones, microwaves, other
>wireless networks)? Even the placement of the router affects this. Also, the
>power level at the output stage and the type of antenna the router/AP uses
>has a significant impact on the ability to transmit through walls/floors.
>FWIW, one of the best routers on the market for transmitting through
>walls/floors is a brand called Buffalo. Their products perform when other
>routers can't even be seen.

A reasonable range of Buffalo wireless broadband routers is available
from ebuyer.com - but be sure that you get one which contains a cable
modem and NOT an ADSL modem as the two are different.

>Please note that setting security on your network will have a minor impact
>on your network speed...but I would recommend that you do set up our network
>securely.

Hmm and in theory at least, WPA will have greater performance
overheads than WEP, although (to my mind) the jury is still out as to
whether you will notice any difference at all. I haven't (yet) since
I switched over. For a home network 128bit WEP should more than
sufficient.

>If speed is your major concern, then you are better off going with a wired
>network. All things considered, a wired network will always be faster and
>more secure than any wireless network.

Indeed. Personally I find network speed more than acceptable for
anything I need to do - after all, it is vastly faster than my
internet connection and my internet connection is vastly faster than
the 150k one being suggested by the original poster. In addition to
everything else my laptop plugs directly into my hi-fi. 15 years of
enthusiastically collected cds (i.e thousands of songs) reside as
192kbs MP3 files on my server hidden away in the attic. I can happily
play these out faultlessly whilst doing plenty of other work at the
same time - all of it across the network.
!