Edit system.adm

Hi,

I wish to edit the system.adm to hide the C & D drive. Unfortunately the GP
doesn't have that option. I'm currently looking at the NoViewOnDrive section
& each option has a numerical value.

Does anyone know if there is a numerical value I can use, or if it's even
possible to hide both of these drive?

Cheers

POLICY !!NoViewOnDrive
#if version >= 4
SUPPORTED !!SUPPORTED_Win2k
#endif

EXPLAIN !!NoViewOnDrive_Help
PART !!NoDrivesDropdown DROPDOWNLIST NOSORT REQUIRED
VALUENAME "NoViewOnDrive"
ITEMLIST
NAME !!ABOnly VALUE NUMERIC 3
NAME !!COnly VALUE NUMERIC 4
NAME !!DOnly VALUE NUMERIC 8
NAME !!ABConly VALUE NUMERIC 7
NAME !!ABCDOnly VALUE NUMERIC 15
NAME !!ALLDrives VALUE NUMERIC 67108863 DEFAULT
; low 26 bits on (1 bit per drive)
NAME !!RestNoDrives VALUE NUMERIC 0
END ITEMLIST
END PART
END POLICY
4 answers Last reply
More about edit system

    Download and install TweakUI:

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI)

    After installing, go to Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP >
    TweakUI. Expand 'My Computer', click on 'Drives', then uncheck the
    drive letter you wish to hide.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "no1bossman" wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | I wish to edit the system.adm to hide the C & D drive. Unfortunately the GP
    | doesn't have that option. I'm currently looking at the NoViewOnDrive section
    | & each option has a numerical value.
    |
    | Does anyone know if there is a numerical value I can use, or if it's even
    | possible to hide both of these drive?
    |
    | Cheers
    |
    | POLICY !!NoViewOnDrive
    | #if version >= 4
    | SUPPORTED !!SUPPORTED_Win2k
    | #endif
    |
    | EXPLAIN !!NoViewOnDrive_Help
    | PART !!NoDrivesDropdown DROPDOWNLIST NOSORT REQUIRED
    | VALUENAME "NoViewOnDrive"
    | ITEMLIST
    | NAME !!ABOnly VALUE NUMERIC 3
    | NAME !!COnly VALUE NUMERIC 4
    | NAME !!DOnly VALUE NUMERIC 8
    | NAME !!ABConly VALUE NUMERIC 7
    | NAME !!ABCDOnly VALUE NUMERIC 15
    | NAME !!ALLDrives VALUE NUMERIC 67108863 DEFAULT
    | ; low 26 bits on (1 bit per drive)
    | NAME !!RestNoDrives VALUE NUMERIC 0
    | END ITEMLIST
    | END PART
    | END POLICY

    Thanks, but is there are possible solution through group policy?

    no1bossman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wish to edit the system.adm to hide the C & D drive.
    > Unfortunately the GP doesn't have that option. I'm
    > currently looking at the NoViewOnDrive section & each option
    > has a numerical value.
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is a numerical value I can use, or
    > if it's even possible to hide both of these drive?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > POLICY !!NoViewOnDrive
    > #if version >= 4
    > SUPPORTED !!SUPPORTED_Win2k
    > #endif
    >
    > EXPLAIN !!NoViewOnDrive_Help
    > PART !!NoDrivesDropdown DROPDOWNLIST NOSORT REQUIRED
    > VALUENAME "NoViewOnDrive"
    > ITEMLIST
    > NAME !!ABOnly VALUE NUMERIC 3
    > NAME !!COnly VALUE NUMERIC 4
    > NAME !!DOnly VALUE NUMERIC 8
    > NAME !!ABConly VALUE NUMERIC 7
    > NAME !!ABCDOnly VALUE NUMERIC 15
    > NAME !!ALLDrives VALUE NUMERIC 67108863 DEFAULT
    > ; low 26 bits on (1 bit per drive)
    > NAME !!RestNoDrives VALUE NUMERIC 0
    > END ITEMLIST
    > END PART
    > END POLICY

    It's 12. The drives that are hidden are the sum of their
    position in the alphabet given a binary value. For instance A
    is 1, B is 2, C is 4, D is 8, E is 16 and so on. Note how
    ALLDrives is 2 to the 26th power. I have no idea how you
    implement that in group policy but that's how it works in the
    registry. Here's an article that describes that process:

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Cheers that's the exact answer I wanted!

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

    > no1bossman wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I wish to edit the system.adm to hide the C & D drive.
    > > Unfortunately the GP doesn't have that option. I'm
    > > currently looking at the NoViewOnDrive section & each option
    > > has a numerical value.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if there is a numerical value I can use, or
    > > if it's even possible to hide both of these drive?
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > POLICY !!NoViewOnDrive
    > > #if version >= 4
    > > SUPPORTED !!SUPPORTED_Win2k
    > > #endif
    > >
    > > EXPLAIN !!NoViewOnDrive_Help
    > > PART !!NoDrivesDropdown DROPDOWNLIST NOSORT REQUIRED
    > > VALUENAME "NoViewOnDrive"
    > > ITEMLIST
    > > NAME !!ABOnly VALUE NUMERIC 3
    > > NAME !!COnly VALUE NUMERIC 4
    > > NAME !!DOnly VALUE NUMERIC 8
    > > NAME !!ABConly VALUE NUMERIC 7
    > > NAME !!ABCDOnly VALUE NUMERIC 15
    > > NAME !!ALLDrives VALUE NUMERIC 67108863 DEFAULT
    > > ; low 26 bits on (1 bit per drive)
    > > NAME !!RestNoDrives VALUE NUMERIC 0
    > > END ITEMLIST
    > > END PART
    > > END POLICY
    >
    > It's 12. The drives that are hidden are the sum of their
    > position in the alphabet given a binary value. For instance A
    > is 1, B is 2, C is 4, D is 8, E is 16 and so on. Note how
    > ALLDrives is 2 to the 26th power. I have no idea how you
    > implement that in group policy but that's how it works in the
    > registry. Here's an article that describes that process:
    >
    > http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1157/
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Nepatsfan

Windows XP