Illegal copy of XP Pro

Hi all
A student friend of mine has a second hand pc with XP Pro installed. He is
entitled to purchase academic software. On attempting to upgrade the PC to
SP2, the upgrade would not proceed because of a problem with the legality of
the existing installation. What is the best way to proceed after purchasing
a legal copy without losing the data on his machine? Please address any
replies to the news group. My email address is false.
2 answers Last reply
More about illegal copy

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xp_in_place_upgrade.htm
    peterk

    the problem
    "Bert" <nobody123@antispam.com.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > A student friend of mine has a second hand pc with XP Pro installed. He
    > is entitled to purchase academic software. On attempting to upgrade the
    > PC to SP2, the upgrade would not proceed because of a problem with the
    > legality of the existing installation. What is the best way to proceed
    > after purchasing a legal copy without losing the data on his machine?
    > Please address any replies to the news group. My email address is false.

    My sincere thanks for the reply. Please address any replies to the news
    group. My email address is false. Bert
    "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xp_in_place_upgrade.htm
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
    > about the problem
    > "Bert" <nobody123@antispam.com.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >> A student friend of mine has a second hand pc with XP Pro installed. He
    >> is entitled to purchase academic software. On attempting to upgrade the
    >> PC to SP2, the upgrade would not proceed because of a problem with the
    >> legality of the existing installation. What is the best way to proceed
    >> after purchasing a legal copy without losing the data on his machine?
    >> Please address any replies to the news group. My email address is false.

Security Microsoft Windows XP