Sapphire 9250 installation failure

I've just bought a Sapphire Radeon 9250 to replace my Matrox Millennium
that fried. Whilst XP recognises the new hardware, and allows me to
reset the resolution to 1024x768 32 bit. When I come to install the
drivers, it allows the install, prompts me to reboot after which it
shows a garbled screen and just sits there. Whilst loading XP, the light
on the monitor changes from green to orange (loses the signal) ,turns
back to green and displays the garbage.

I've taken the card back and the shop proved it was working, but said
that I needed to completely remove the nVidia drivers from the earlier
card. Any ideas of the best way to do this?

Also, is this likely to be a bluff by the shop to get rid of me?
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Sandgrownun

yes you need to remove the Matrox drivers , they are not nVidia.
Add/ remove programs may have the drivers listed, or else search for
Matrox files and manually remove. Go to Matrox web site and see if they
have info in FAQ file on how to remove. The new card is probably fine,
you just need to clean out the old drivers.