Anyone tried WinXP 64-bit Yet?

Just wondering if there are any performance benefits for existing 32-bit
applications. I seem to recall reports of performance boosts of up to 20% in
office applications. A bit "magical", perhaps.

HardOCP's battery of game tests showed no change, though at the high
resolutions the tests were conducted, all the games were video card-limited.

minotaur

First of One wrote:
> Just wondering if there are any performance benefits for existing 32-bit
> applications. I seem to recall reports of performance boosts of up to 20% in
> office applications. A bit "magical", perhaps.
>
> HardOCP's battery of game tests showed no change, though at the high
> resolutions the tests were conducted, all the games were video card-limited.

Still looking for SATA RAID drivers for my nForce3 MSI Neo2? I must be
blind can't find them in the usual places. Did get it going a few months
back, but abandoned it for lack of software support. It was installed on
a single drive then, but want to place it on the RAID array now since
XP-32 is back on the single drive.

I expect no Magick until 64bit versions of everything you shall be
running, are released. MS Office, Adobe Photoshop shouldn't be far away,
but it is a worry with other applications. It's going to be interesting
to see 64bit games however (8* you would think there would be a huge
speed-up with something like Battle Field 1942 etc

Minotaur *8)

Minotaur wrote:
> First of One wrote:
>

> Still looking for SATA RAID drivers for my nForce3 MSI Neo2? I must be
> blind can't find them in the usual places. Did get it going a few months
> back, but abandoned it for lack of software support. It was installed on
> a single drive then, but want to place it on the RAID array now since
> XP-32 is back on the single drive.

64bit SATA drivers for NF3 boards are available here (these include SATA
and PATA IDE support);

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp64_6.25

> I expect no Magick until 64bit versions of everything you shall be
> running, are released. MS Office, Adobe Photoshop shouldn't be far away,
> but it is a worry with other applications. It's going to be interesting
> to see 64bit games however (8* you would think there would be a huge
> speed-up with something like Battle Field 1942 etc

What the heck do you need a 64bit version of Office for? Photoshop I
can understand, it would benefit from a move to 64bits in terms of speed
and memory performance. Office, well.... I'm not so convinced.

The biggest barrier by far at the moment to going 64bits is the lack of
proper driver support for mainstream peripherals and devices. 32bit
drivers do not and will not work on a 64bit system, despite what some
suppliers and users are saying. All device drivers have to be signed
now specifically for the 64bit world and it's taking some vendors a long
time to even publicly commit to releasing 64bit drivers.

I can get XP 64bit running on my Athlon 64 system with SATA support no
problem, however it all falls down when it comes to network access
because Netgear have no 64bit drivers for the WG311 wireless network
card I use and no promise of when a set might be available.

--
JasonB