Programs don't appear under user account

Hello,
I am new to Win XP Pro and to test my software apps I created a separate
user account. However, some of the programs I need do not show under the
Start/Programs menu for the user account.
How do I configure these to show & use?
Thanks, God bless
Van
6 answers Last reply
More about programs user account

    Installing and running software in Windows XP
    http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

    [[This page is an attempt to explain how software should be installed and
    used in a Windows XP system.]]

    Subjects include:
    1. Installing software for everybody
    2. Running software in limited user accounts
    3. Restricting access to some programs
    4. FAQ's and issues

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:FADDB03E-5C1D-406D-9CD3-F77A44F0FA02@microsoft.com,
    VanS <VanS@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hello,
    > I am new to Win XP Pro and to test my software apps I created a separate
    > user account. However, some of the programs I need do not show under the
    > Start/Programs menu for the user account.
    > How do I configure these to show & use?
    > Thanks, God bless
    > Van

    Thanks for your help Wes,
    I will check your article. The issue I wonder may be that I created the user
    account for testing purposes after my apps were already installed. How does
    that affect things?
    Thanks, God bless
    Van

    VanS <VanS@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hello,
    > I am new to Win XP Pro and to test my software apps I created a
    > separate user account. However, some of the programs I need do not
    > show under the Start/Programs menu for the user account.
    > How do I configure these to show & use?
    > Thanks, God bless
    > Van

    When you installed the application it should have given you an opportunity
    to install for all users if it's any good. If not then you must manually put
    shortcuts in there somehow. The easiest way is to put them into the all
    users section. For instance, if it's just you using the computer, you can
    copy the contents of one profile to this:

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

    (Assuming C: is your root drive.) Don't over-write existing files that are
    there, just copy them to the folders.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Thanks for your suggestion Galen. Will look into.

    In news:9C6E145C-707B-49DE-9C4F-01E48F386769@microsoft.com,
    VanS <VanS@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Thanks for your suggestion Galen. Will look into.
    > The issue I wonder may be that I created the user account for testing
    > purposes after my apps were already installed. How does that affect
    > things? Thanks, God bless
    > Van

    An application installed prior to that with the appropriate settings (one
    that says install for all users if that's what you wanted) would have put
    the shortcut into the all users section of the documents and settings folder
    and thus would be available. Some application are, to be honest and
    opinionated, poorly designed in that they don't allow the option to install
    for all users. Worse still (and you'll eventually run into this perhaps)
    you'll find applications that should run as a limited user account that will
    only run with admin rights. Those are the ones that will make you tear your
    hair out by the roots. While you're in the process of learning this
    particular aspect of accounts it would be, in my opinion, a good time to
    make sure that you're also familiar with the "run as" right click options.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Thanks again for your helpful input Galen,God bless
    Van

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:9C6E145C-707B-49DE-9C4F-01E48F386769@microsoft.com,
    > VanS <VanS@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > Thanks for your suggestion Galen. Will look into.
    > > The issue I wonder may be that I created the user account for testing
    > > purposes after my apps were already installed. How does that affect
    > > things? Thanks, God bless
    > > Van
    >
    > An application installed prior to that with the appropriate settings (one
    > that says install for all users if that's what you wanted) would have put
    > the shortcut into the all users section of the documents and settings folder
    > and thus would be available. Some application are, to be honest and
    > opinionated, poorly designed in that they don't allow the option to install
    > for all users. Worse still (and you'll eventually run into this perhaps)
    > you'll find applications that should run as a limited user account that will
    > only run with admin rights. Those are the ones that will make you tear your
    > hair out by the roots. While you're in the process of learning this
    > particular aspect of accounts it would be, in my opinion, a good time to
    > make sure that you're also familiar with the "run as" right click options.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
    > without them."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

Windows XP