Programs don't appear under user account

July 14, 2005 1:25:55 PM

Hello,
I am new to Win XP Pro and to test my software apps I created a separate
user account. However, some of the programs I need do not show under the
Start/Programs menu for the user account.
How do I configure these to show & use?
Thanks, God bless
Van

More about : programs user account

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 3:46:22 PM

Installing and running software in Windows XP
http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

[[This page is an attempt to explain how software should be installed and
used in a Windows XP system.]]

Subjects include:
1. Installing software for everybody
2. Running software in limited user accounts
3. Restricting access to some programs
4. FAQ's and issues

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:FADDB03E-5C1D-406D-9CD3-F77A44F0FA02@microsoft.com,
VanS <VanS@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello,
> I am new to Win XP Pro and to test my software apps I created a separate
> user account. However, some of the programs I need do not show under the
> Start/Programs menu for the user account.
> How do I configure these to show & use?
> Thanks, God bless
> Van
July 14, 2005 3:46:23 PM

Thanks for your help Wes,
I will check your article. The issue I wonder may be that I created the user
account for testing purposes after my apps were already installed. How does
that affect things?
Thanks, God bless
Van

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Installing and running software in Windows XP
> http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
>
> [[This page is an attempt to explain how software should be installed and
> used in a Windows XP system.]]
>
> Subjects include:
> 1. Installing software for everybody
> 2. Running software in limited user accounts
> 3. Restricting access to some programs
> 4. FAQ's and issues
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:FADDB03E-5C1D-406D-9CD3-F77A44F0FA02@microsoft.com,
> VanS <VanS@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hello,
> > I am new to Win XP Pro and to test my software apps I created a separate
> > user account. However, some of the programs I need do not show under the
> > Start/Programs menu for the user account.
> > How do I configure these to show & use?
> > Thanks, God bless
> > Van

Related resources
July 14, 2005 5:46:16 PM

In news:FADDB03E-5C1D-406D-9CD3-F77A44F0FA02@microsoft.com,
VanS <VanS@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hello,
> I am new to Win XP Pro and to test my software apps I created a
> separate user account. However, some of the programs I need do not
> show under the Start/Programs menu for the user account.
> How do I configure these to show & use?
> Thanks, God bless
> Van

When you installed the application it should have given you an opportunity
to install for all users if it's any good. If not then you must manually put
shortcuts in there somehow. The easiest way is to put them into the all
users section. For instance, if it's just you using the computer, you can
copy the contents of one profile to this:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

(Assuming C: is your root drive.) Don't over-write existing files that are
there, just copy them to the folders.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
July 14, 2005 5:46:17 PM

Thanks for your suggestion Galen. Will look into.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:FADDB03E-5C1D-406D-9CD3-F77A44F0FA02@microsoft.com,
> VanS <VanS@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > Hello,
> > I am new to Win XP Pro and to test my software apps I created a
> > separate user account. However, some of the programs I need do not
> > show under the Start/Programs menu for the user account.
> > How do I configure these to show & use?
> > Thanks, God bless
> > Van
>
> When you installed the application it should have given you an opportunity
> to install for all users if it's any good. If not then you must manually put
> shortcuts in there somehow. The easiest way is to put them into the all
> users section. For instance, if it's just you using the computer, you can
> copy the contents of one profile to this:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
>
> (Assuming C: is your root drive.) Don't over-write existing files that are
> there, just copy them to the folders.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

July 15, 2005 1:52:28 AM

In news:9C6E145C-707B-49DE-9C4F-01E48F386769@microsoft.com,
VanS <VanS@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Thanks for your suggestion Galen. Will look into.
> The issue I wonder may be that I created the user account for testing
> purposes after my apps were already installed. How does that affect
> things? Thanks, God bless
> Van

An application installed prior to that with the appropriate settings (one
that says install for all users if that's what you wanted) would have put
the shortcut into the all users section of the documents and settings folder
and thus would be available. Some application are, to be honest and
opinionated, poorly designed in that they don't allow the option to install
for all users. Worse still (and you'll eventually run into this perhaps)
you'll find applications that should run as a limited user account that will
only run with admin rights. Those are the ones that will make you tear your
hair out by the roots. While you're in the process of learning this
particular aspect of accounts it would be, in my opinion, a good time to
make sure that you're also familiar with the "run as" right click options.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
July 15, 2005 9:13:02 AM

Thanks again for your helpful input Galen,God bless
Van

!