x800 xl and win98?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b \ Driver
a b C Monitor
May 6, 2005 6:27:43 AM

As I have previously posted, I have an XP/Win98 dual boot sytem. Bought an
X800 XL and can;t seem to figure out how to install the drivers in Win98.

Everything goes fine until it's time for the desktop to appear, then my
monitor clicks and stays black and my sytem just stops. ATI says it
supports Win98 with the ME drivers but when I install it says it's
installing Win98 drivers.

Should I somehow force the WinME drivers? Is it my monitor, a Viewsonic A70?
Is the XL incompatable with Win98?

Any suggetstion are greatly appreciated.

Nick

More about : x800 win98

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b C Monitor
May 6, 2005 8:32:47 PM

If you had read the box, you would realize that tthe newer cards, such as
the X800, NO LONGER support win 98. Time to upgrade to a modern OS (XP).

--
DaveW

"Nick Zvaleko" <dunwich@optonline.net> wrote in message
> As I have previously posted, I have an XP/Win98 dual boot sytem. Bought an
> X800 XL and can;t seem to figure out how to install the drivers in Win98.
>
> Everything goes fine until it's time for the desktop to appear, then my
> monitor clicks and stays black and my sytem just stops. ATI says it
> supports Win98 with the ME drivers but when I install it says it's
> installing Win98 drivers.
>
> Should I somehow force the WinME drivers? Is it my monitor, a Viewsonic
> A70?
> Is the XL incompatable with Win98?
>
> Any suggetstion are greatly appreciated.
>
> Nick

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b C Monitor
May 6, 2005 10:43:00 PM

"Nick Zvaleko" <dunwich@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Everything goes fine until it's time for the desktop to appear, then my
> monitor clicks and stays black and my sytem just stops.

With the latest drivers, the card seems to sleep-cycle the monitor at
bootup. It could be SmartGART going awry. Can you boot into Win98's Safe
Mode? If so, go to Start -> Run -> type "msconfig" and remove "ATISmart"
from the startup list.

> supports Win98 with the ME drivers but when I install it says it's
> installing Win98 drivers. Should I somehow force the WinME drivers?

Upon installation the drivers will identify the OS and display it. ATi uses
the same files for both Win98 and ME, so there's no "forcing" involved.

> Is it my monitor, a Viewsonic A70?

Unlikely.

A few other things in BIOS you can try:

Reduce AGP speed to 2x or even OFF
Set fast writes to OFF
Set sideband addressing to OFF
Up the AGP voltage to 1.6 V, if option's available
Whenever anything says "shadowing", or "BIOS cacheable", disable it
Toggle video mem access between UC and USWC
Assign IRQ to VGA to ENABLED

a b \ Driver
a b C Monitor
May 7, 2005 1:09:20 AM

Actually I did but I was advised by people here, whom I respect, that ATI
offered support for Win98 with the WinME drivers. The web site confirms
this.

You, on the other hand, are mean and nasty. Please go away.

Nick

!