Sign in with
Your question

Two 'machines', one Cpu

Last response: in Business Computing
March 28, 2011 4:16:23 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while, and there's no best place I know of to ask for help.

It would be very usefull if I could add a second Keyboard, Mouse and Display to my computer and use it as a "second computer". I have the spare parts, only lacking a usb keyboard, but I guess I could test the second machine with a joystick?

What I want to do is have my computer (Win 7) on one display and a XP on the other, being able to game while using other things on the other display (music, messenger, internet), and also maybe even gaming on both displays, so I could play games like Diablo II, Borderlands with my cousin without having to get a router and his PC to my house.
Could also have family use the 2nd display while I keep doing my things on the primary.

I know pretty much nothing about VMs, used only once.

Current rig:
C2D E6320 1.86ghz (supports virtual machines afaik)
2x1gb ddr2 667mhz
Asus P5LD2-SE
XFX Radeon HD6850 (2 DVI, 2 HDMI)

I know it might not be able to run 2 heavy games at once, but my next rig (i5 2500k 8gb with this GPU and eventually XFire) should be able to.

All help appreciated!

More about : machines cpu

April 13, 2011 6:41:00 PM

Can't do it with separate keyboard/mouse, you will need to use one to control both sessions. And your system running the main OS and a virtual one will bog down. Get a higher end CPU and double the ram if you want to run a virtual machine all the time.
April 13, 2011 9:04:55 PM

If you're only looking at doing simple tasks on the "second" computer, why not build a dead cheap computer for it?

I've just specced a simple that'll do the job nicely just under for £260, £350 if you include a half-competent graphics card.
!