Sign in with
Your question
Solved

(ugrent please help) new computer need help..

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
November 10, 2012 7:33:44 AM

so im getting my new rigged on friday(it has nothing installed) so what i wanted to do was get the $40 upgrade... and heres how i plan on doing it. first of all i have a laptop win 7 64 bit. i also have an old broken laptop that does not work but i do i have the windows vista 32 bit(i have the key and the cd) so im planing to use this vista 32 bit to upgrade my new pc to a windows 64 bit and here how i plan on doing it

There is a workaround to jump from a 32bit to 64bit install. As someone else posted here:
Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8, but you'll need to buy Windows 8 as a DVD.
You also won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.
Workaround:
You could go to a computer running a 64 bit version of Windows.
Download the Upgrade assistant and create a bootable copy of Windows 8 64 bit.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-XM/windows/buy
Clicking "Download Pro" installs and runs the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, which lets you know if your PC can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, provides you with a compatibility report, and then walks you through the steps to purchase, download, and install. Run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to make sure your PC can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro before purchase—you can run it without purchasing. Upgrade Assistant will collect certain information about your potential upgrade experience. Learn more about privacy and the Upgrade Assistant.

Step 1: Use the Upgrade Assistant to qualify the PC and pay the $40 (US)
Step 2: When the "Install Windows 8" message appears, select "Install by creating media" to create a bootable USB flash drive or an .iso (a disk image) file.
Step 3: Wait for the Assistant to download the Windows 8 Pro installation package and create the bootable media or .iso file. The flash drive must be have 3GB or more of free space available.
Step 4: Burn the .iso file, if that's the path you chose, to a blank DVD.
Step 5: Use that USB drive or DVD to boot the PC.
Click Install Now
Accept License Agreement
When the option is displayed to select an installation type, click (Custom Advanced)
select the disk partition where you would like to install Windows 8 Click Next.
You will receive the following warning:
The partition you selected might contain files from a previous Windows Installation. If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old. You will be able to access the information in Windows.old, but you will be able to use your previous version of Windows.
(At all cost, do NOT click anything named Format or Delete or Partition. So even doing a custom install, your personal files are still preserved. Click OK
Setup will now start the installation. During the installation, your machine will be restarted several times.
When the installation is complete, you can complete the Out of Box experience such as selecting your laptop, create a username, password, your time zone. You can then proceed to download the latest updates for Windows and reinstall your applications and drivers.
You can then recover your personal files from the Windows.old folder and reinstall all your applications and drivers.

so would this method work?? i just install the windows 8 on my new pc with an usb or dvd??
thank you once again
my windows vista is an oem( i know that u can you the key a certain amount of times and ive only used it once)
oh and heres my spec
i3570k
asrock extreme 4
gskill 8 gb ares
7750 900mhz edition crossfired
and etc

More about : ugrent computer

Best solution

November 10, 2012 7:44:37 AM

I believe it would work fine if you go to a 64 bit system running W7 64bit and run the upgrade assistant it would download the 64 bit version of Windows 8. Burn to DVD. Clean install on your new pc.
November 15, 2012 11:36:31 PM

Best answer selected by qwertyadsl.
m
l
November 17, 2012 1:52:55 PM

My friend and I just did this over the weekend. He just used my Windows 8 64 bit dvd that I burned after the download. He clean installed (windows XP 32 bit was installed), so I'm positive this works now. He just needed his Windows 8 key.
m
l
!