Did you see the boss man in Nova Prospect?

Did you guys see the boss man in Nova Prospect? You have to look hard
but he's there.

Mule
23 answers Last reply
More about boss nova prospect

    Oh I didn't see him there. I'll have to look for him the next time.
    Also, did you catch this one - Part when you're still driving the boat
    and you come to a part where the first of that big ass rocket truck on
    the bridge and a few combine on the left. Once you go past the bridge
    you see one of those flying machines (I don't know the damn name of
    these things) and it drops some cargo truck or something. Well, right
    after that go under a few bridges and the G-MAN!!!!! is on top of the
    bridge on the left. You have to look quick or you know.

    G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN
    G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN! What the...hows
    that?

    tq144@msn.com wrote:
    > Did you guys see the boss man in Nova Prospect? You have to look hard
    > but he's there.
    >
    > Mule

    Oh dear God. Why can't you call him by his proper designation: the G-MAN?

    Yeah, I'm sure everyone's seen him by now (for those that haven't, check
    the monitor in the security booth).

    Rincewind wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:05:16 +0000, GFree mumbled something like this:
    >

    >>tq144@msn.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Did you guys see the boss man in Nova Prospect? You have to look hard
    >>>but he's there.
    >>>
    >>> Mule
    >>>

    >>Oh dear God. Why can't you call him by his proper designation: the G-MAN?
    >>
    >>Yeah, I'm sure everyone's seen him by now (for those that haven't, check
    >>the monitor in the security booth).
    >

    > I've seen him in one place that not many will have seen...
    >
    > spoiler
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > Can't remember what the chapters's called, but it's the bit where there
    > are snipers in the bridges over the railroad lines. After you kill the
    > snipers, before you turn left to go through the scrap vehicles, run up to
    > the two(?) overturned tankers that block you from going further along the
    > railroad and look between them. You should see the G-man walking away from
    > you along a distant platform. You have to be quick or he's gone.
    >
    > Rinso

    Sorry, I've seen that before as well. ;)

    To be honest though, it was only on my last playthruugh that I noticed
    him there. I wanted to explore everything and everywhere, and I saw the
    gap there that I thought might have had goodies. Was a cool feeling to
    realise that there were still things I hadn't noticed before.

    BTWL the chapter's called "We Don't Go to Ravenholm...". It's the very
    last map, straight before "Highway 17". Just love the atmospheric music
    you hear once you see sunlight again.

    tq144@msn.com wrote:
    > Oh I didn't see him there. I'll have to look for him the next time.
    > Also, did you catch this one - Part when you're still driving the boat
    > and you come to a part where the first of that big ass rocket truck on
    > the bridge and a few combine on the left. Once you go past the bridge
    > you see one of those flying machines (I don't know the damn name of
    > these things) and it drops some cargo truck or something. Well, right
    > after that go under a few bridges and the G-MAN!!!!! is on top of the
    > bridge on the left. You have to look quick or you know.

    The G-Man's everywhere.

    In fact, he's standing right behind you!!!

    tq144@msn.com wrote:
    > G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN
    > G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN! What the...hows
    > that?

    Not funny.

    <tq144@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Did you guys see the boss man in Nova Prospect? You have to look hard
    > but he's there.
    >
    > Mule

    Don't have to look very hard, just look around. He seems to show up in
    every monitor at some time too. I've spotted him in several places in
    Nova Prospekt watching. Just watching. Then he walks off.
    McG.

    McGrandpa wrote:

    > <tq144@msn.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Did you guys see the boss man in Nova Prospect? You have to look hard
    >>but he's there.
    >>
    >>Mule
    >

    > Don't have to look very hard, just look around. He seems to show up in
    > every monitor at some time too. I've spotted him in several places in
    > Nova Prospekt watching. Just watching. Then he walks off.
    > McG.

    Yep. He's controlling the entire simulation, so he can go wherever he
    likes. With two training missions under his belt, I wonder which sequel
    will finally be the "real thing" with regards to why Freeman is being
    prepped by ol' G-Slice?

    > G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN
    > G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN! What
    > the...hows that?

    Better :)
    McG.

    <tq144@msn.com> wrote

    > G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN
    > G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN
    > G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN G-MAN!
    > What the...hows that?

    More appropriate wuld have been something like this:

    G-Man G-Man G-Man G-Man G-Man G-Man G-Man G-Man

    G-Man G-Man G-Man G-Man G-Man G-Man G-Man G-Man

    G-Man G-Man G-Man G-Man G-Man!

    - Peter

    Man, you're on the ball, nothing gets by you. LMASBNROTF

    "Killah Gorillah" <th@t.bitch> wrote in message
    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >
    >> <tq144@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Did you guys see the boss man in Nova Prospect? You have to look
    >>> hard but he's there.
    >>>
    >>> Mule
    >>

    >> Don't have to look very hard, just look around. He seems to show up
    >> in every monitor at some time too. I've spotted him in several
    >> places in Nova Prospekt watching. Just watching. Then he walks off.
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Yep. He's controlling the entire simulation, so he can go wherever he
    > likes. With two training missions under his belt, I wonder which
    > sequel will finally be the "real thing" with regards to why Freeman
    > is being prepped by ol' G-Slice?

    I find it very curious that he can freeze not only people in mid flight
    (Alyx at the end) but also fire and explosion, energy plasma.... and
    still be talking with Gordon :) Seems he has control of a good bit.
    McG.

    tq144@msn.com wrote:
    > Man, you're on the ball, nothing gets by you. LMASBNROTF

    I lost many wonderful years of my life on HL. If you've been waiting six
    years for a sequel, you savour every damn drop of it as you can, since
    you'll be waiting another 3-4 years for the next sequel.

    "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > tq144@msn.com wrote:
    >> Man, you're on the ball, nothing gets by you. LMASBNROTF
    >>
    > I lost many wonderful years of my life on HL. If you've been waiting
    > six years for a sequel, you savour every damn drop of it as you can,
    > since you'll be waiting another 3-4 years for the next sequel.

    You sure got that right GFree!

    I lost count of how many times I've played through HL2 already. Now I
    just enjoy whatever area I want to...and usually get drawn in to finish
    the chapter from that point. Well, got some overtime pay coming. I
    think this rig could do with an ug from a 6800 to a 6800 GT :) And make
    it look better faster! :)
    McG.

    > "Killah Gorillah" <th@t.bitch> wrote in message
    >> McGrandpa wrote:
    >>
    >>> <tq144@msn.com> wrote in message

    >>> Don't have to look very hard, just look around. He seems to show up
    >>> in every monitor at some time too. I've spotted him in several
    >>> places in Nova Prospekt watching. Just watching. Then he walks off.
    >>> McG.
    >>>

    >> Yep. He's controlling the entire simulation, so he can go wherever he
    >> likes. With two training missions under his belt, I wonder which
    >> sequel will finally be the "real thing" with regards to why Freeman
    >> is being prepped by ol' G-Slice?
    >
    > I find it very curious that he can freeze not only people in mid flight
    > (Alyx at the end) but also fire and explosion, energy plasma.... and still
    > be talking with Gordon :) Seems he has control of a good bit.
    > McG.

    One theory is that he has full access to remote slow teleport technology.

    It may be that his briefcase controls it, but he can only do it within a
    certain range. It may also be that he is somehow precluded from using his
    awesome powers directly in fighting the Combine, but must work through an
    intermediary or proxie (Wake up, Mr. Freeman).

    One option is that he actually lacks physical substance. He is a
    manifestation of Will that has form (you can see and hear him), but he
    cannot pick up a weapon and fire away as he is not actually a physical
    creature (you can't harm him by shooting at him, for example).

    James A. Cooley wrote:

    > One option is that he actually lacks physical substance. He is a
    > manifestation of Will that has form (you can see and hear him), but he
    > cannot pick up a weapon and fire away as he is not actually a physical
    > creature (you can't harm him by shooting at him, for example).

    In the original HL you'd see sparks fly a-plenty if you fired at him.
    Probably a consequence of the engine, but I guess it shows that nothing
    can harm him and yet he's still a physical entity.

    Of course, if you spawn him in Garry's Mod you can easily see the blood
    splatter all over him if you shoot him, but that's not really a good
    example. :)

    James A. Cooley wrote:
    > > One theory is that he has full access to remote slow teleport
    technology.

    > It may be that his briefcase controls it, but he can only do it
    within a
    > certain range. It may also be that he is somehow precluded from using
    his
    > awesome powers directly in fighting the Combine, but must work
    through an
    > intermediary or proxie (Wake up, Mr. Freeman).
    >
    > One option is that he actually lacks physical substance. He is a
    > manifestation of Will that has form (you can see and hear him), but
    he
    > cannot pick up a weapon and fire away as he is not actually a
    physical
    > creature (you can't harm him by shooting at him, for example).

    Another theory is that he's just a character in a computer game and the
    whole thing is made up. Consequently, there is no "master plan" for him
    to fit into.

    On that subject, does anyone know WTF has been going on since HL1? I
    know there are a couple of clues in newspapers and the like, but it's
    never really explained. Please don't point me to that timeline website;
    so much of that is simply not in the game that I think the author has
    just made up a story to fit the available facts.

    What do we know?
    - All the monsters except alien slaves and headcrabs have disappeared.
    The slaves have become slaves to us humans and the headcrabs appear to
    have diversified. There are Striders now, which appear to be organic
    and work for Breen.
    - The Black Mesa Administrator, Breen, is in league with a huge slug of
    unknown provenance, and with its support has developed an army of some
    kind of hybrid.
    - Breen's dominance is so great that he has been able to change the
    common name of at least one city to just a number "City 17".
    - Breen is brainwashing the population and enslaving them to be his
    troops.
    - There is armed resistance but the fighting has been going on for a
    long time with no real success.
    - Two scientists from Black Mesa have been working on technology to
    fight Breen.
    - Gordon has become a legend among the resistance, many of whom would
    only have been children at the time of Half-Life 1.

    Have Valve ever explained what they think happened between HL1 and HL2,
    or is it more likely that they created a scenario for the game and made
    no attempt to have any real connection beyond a few repeating
    characters? Personally I think the latter.

    "James A. Cooley" <jacooley@centralpets.com> wrote in message
    >> "Killah Gorillah" <th@t.bitch> wrote in message

    >>> Yep. He's controlling the entire simulation, so he can go wherever
    >>> he likes. With two training missions under his belt, I wonder which
    >>> sequel will finally be the "real thing" with regards to why Freeman
    >>> is being prepped by ol' G-Slice?
    >>
    >> I find it very curious that he can freeze not only people in mid
    >> flight (Alyx at the end) but also fire and explosion, energy
    >> plasma.... and still be talking with Gordon :) Seems he has control
    >> of a good bit. McG.
    >
    > One theory is that he has full access to remote slow teleport
    > technology.
    > It may be that his briefcase controls it, but he can only do it
    > within a certain range. It may also be that he is somehow precluded
    > from using his awesome powers directly in fighting the Combine, but
    > must work through an intermediary or proxie (Wake up, Mr. Freeman).
    >
    > One option is that he actually lacks physical substance. He is a
    > manifestation of Will that has form (you can see and hear him), but he
    > cannot pick up a weapon and fire away as he is not actually a physical
    > creature (you can't harm him by shooting at him, for example).

    Yeah, but the bit is that G-Man and Gordon are not frozen, everything
    else is. Including the explosion. It's cool, though. I want to see
    where they go with this one :)
    McG.

    Rico wrote:

    > What's the deal with this G-Man thing?
    > So the way I see it so far, the G-Man is the guy we've got to battle
    in
    > the end?

    I don't want to spoil the plot, but the G-Man thing comes from HL1. As
    you work your way through the complex, you keep seeing this bloke in a
    shirt and tie. You never get to talk to him or shoot at him, but he
    keeps popping up, seemingly unarmed and not bothered by the aliens and
    mayhem all around. At the end of the game it turns out he has a
    significant interest in Black Mesa.

    In one of the expansion packs, Opposing Force, he crops up again.
    You're still not entirely sure who he is, but he seems very keen on
    keeping the true nature of Black Mesa a secret. He will stop at nothing
    to destroy all the evidence.

    You met the G-Man at the very beginning of HL2, when he wakes Gordon
    from stasis (play HL1 to find out how Gordon gets there) and sends you
    to City 17 on an unknown mission. He's the guy who says "Time to wake
    up".

    As in HL1, he makes further appearances throughout the game, and it's a
    bit like an easter egg hunt for some people, trying to find all the
    locations. For others, it's probably more like wondering who the hell
    he is and what he's doing. Perhaps there'll be some clues if you see
    him again...

    To save you any confusion, and I don't think I'm giving anything away,
    the G-Man and Breen (the beardy guy on the big vid screens who runs the
    place) are two different people. Breen was the administrator at Black
    Mesa in HL1, not that you had a lot to do with him, but it was his show
    that the G-Man was so keen to keep quiet.

    Ben Cottrell wrote:
    > Valve haven't created a comprehensive story, but they certainly have
    > created an interesting and complicated universe that spans across
    > multiple games... and alot of background information can be derived
    from
    > the clues scattered across the games :)
    > The "story" itself has been left wide open, probably deliberately,
    in
    > order that they can extend it to HL3, and some of the addons

    Yeah, that sounds about right. Actually, I'd missed the idea that the
    Combine are nothing to do with Xen, but are just some other bunch of
    aliens who have invaded the Earth, presumably making use of the portal
    openened in HL1. perhaps the resonance cascade weakened the ... er...
    something.. between us and the Combine's universe/world/alternate
    reality so that they could attack.

    Breen's humanity? Yeah, he could be human, he could be just humanoid.
    Doesn't really matter whether he was planted here in advance, whether
    he's been brainwashed by the Combine, or whether he chose to help them.

    I just felt that it wasn't explained very well in the game - there's a
    lot left to guesswork and it would have been nice to have some
    understanding of what had happened and why you were there. As it was, I
    just felt I was going from objective to objective with no real sense of
    purpose. In HL1 I knew what was happening at all times and the twists
    in the plot explained why things had happened like they did.

    Chadwick wrote:

    > On that subject, does anyone know WTF has been going on since HL1? I
    > know there are a couple of clues in newspapers and the like, but it's
    > never really explained. Please don't point me to that timeline website;
    > so much of that is simply not in the game that I think the author has
    > just made up a story to fit the available facts.

    I think most of it is in the game, just heavily fleshed out. Marc
    Laidlaw of Valve commented on the Timeline site saying "it's fairly
    accurate" (As the guy who wrote the HL storyline, i guess he'd know best..)

    > What do we know?
    > - All the monsters except alien slaves and headcrabs have disappeared.
    > The slaves have become slaves to us humans and the headcrabs appear to
    > have diversified. There are Striders now, which appear to be organic
    > and work for Breen.

    The vortigaunts don't appear to be "slaves" any more... At least, The
    human race doesn't exactly have any mind-control device like the
    combine's in order to enslave them... so I'd say the vortigaunts were
    now the human's allies against the combine.. The slaves in the game are
    the combine overwatch, who maybe still are human underneath... but have
    drunk so much water that they "forget"

    As for the rest of the Xen aliens.. it's possible that, like Earth, Xen
    only has 1 intelligent species (vortigaunts), the rest are just like
    dumb wildlife which got caught up in the resonance cascade or somehow
    found their way through the portals.

    > - The Black Mesa Administrator, Breen, is in league with a huge slug of
    > unknown provenance, and with its support has developed an army of some
    > kind of hybrid.

    Breen himself may not have been human to start with.. We only know
    that he looks and sounds human during his time on earth :)

    > - Breen's dominance is so great that he has been able to change the
    > common name of at least one city to just a number "City 17".

    However Breen's influence only extends over Earth as far as we know.
    There are possibly entities above Breen with far more power.

    > - Breen is brainwashing the population and enslaving them to be his
    > troops.
    > - There is armed resistance but the fighting has been going on for a
    > long time with no real success.
    > - Two scientists from Black Mesa have been working on technology to
    > fight Breen.
    > - Gordon has become a legend among the resistance, many of whom would
    > only have been children at the time of Half-Life 1.

    There was also the 7-hour battle for earth before Earth surrendered and
    Breen was appointed "Interim Administrator" (Suggesting, possibly, that
    the 'benefactors' intended to remove breen and apply another form of
    control over earth)

    Other stuff which seems logical from HL1 - the satellite launch created
    Portals between Xen and Earth.. that may only be significant for one
    game, or it may also be the reason that the combine were able to invade
    earth.. and could have implications for other alien things being on
    earth too.

    Also, Breen was most likely responsible for the resonance cascade..
    G-Man appeared briefly before the resonance cascade took place talking
    to Kleiner.. perhaps this was G-Man's attempt to stop the resonance
    cascade ever taking place.

    > Have Valve ever explained what they think happened between HL1 and HL2,
    > or is it more likely that they created a scenario for the game and made
    > no attempt to have any real connection beyond a few repeating
    > characters? Personally I think the latter.

    Valve haven't created a comprehensive story, but they certainly have
    created an interesting and complicated universe that spans across
    multiple games... and alot of background information can be derived from
    the clues scattered across the games :)
    The "story" itself has been left wide open, probably deliberately, in
    order that they can extend it to HL3, and some of the addons

    I suppose in one sense, the story is Gordon's journey from becoming a
    geeky PhD research associate, to a legendary intergalactic superhero who
    kicks serious alien butt, and then back to do it all over again :-)

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    All these modern celebrities are endorsing supermarket products now...
    I got a pack of sausages from Tesco the other day and there was this
    picture of Anthony Worral Thompson on the front. Below, it read 'prick
    with a fork'.

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:01:25 -0800, tq144 wrote:
    > Oh I didn't see him there. I'll have to look for him the next time.
    > Also, did you catch this one - Part when you're still driving the boat
    > and you come to a part where the first of that big ass rocket truck on
    > the bridge and a few combine on the left. Once you go past the bridge
    > you see one of those flying machines (I don't know the damn name of
    > these things) and it drops some cargo truck or something. Well, right
    > after that go under a few bridges and the G-MAN!!!!! is on top of the
    > bridge on the left. You have to look quick or you know.

    What's the deal with this G-Man thing?
    So the way I see it so far, the G-Man is the guy we've got to battle in
    the end?
    ok... so when I get to the end I'll see plenty of him, isn't it?

    spotted him <here> first as well. Ain't that cool?"

    - But I didn't see anything...
    - Look quick or he's gone.

    So I guess that's part of what being a 'gamer' is about. heh...
    Gamers' quirks. Is it infectious? Should I be concerned?

    Rico.

    "Rico" <ras_nas@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:01:25 -0800, tq144 wrote:
    >> Oh I didn't see him there. I'll have to look for him the next time.
    >> Also, did you catch this one - Part when you're still driving the
    >> boat and you come to a part where the first of that big ass rocket
    >> truck on the bridge and a few combine on the left. Once you go past
    >> the bridge you see one of those flying machines (I don't know the
    >> damn name of these things) and it drops some cargo truck or
    >> something. Well, right after that go under a few bridges and the
    >> G-MAN!!!!! is on top of the bridge on the left. You have to look
    >> quick or you know.
    >
    > What's the deal with this G-Man thing?
    > So the way I see it so far, the G-Man is the guy we've got to battle
    > in the end?
    > ok... so when I get to the end I'll see plenty of him, isn't it?

    > one who spotted him <here> first as well. Ain't that cool?"
    >
    > - But I didn't see anything...
    > - Look quick or he's gone.
    >

    > So I guess that's part of what being a 'gamer' is about. heh...
    > Gamers' quirks. Is it infectious? Should I be concerned?
    >
    > Rico.

    No, have fun, enjoy the game :)
    McG.

The Boss Games Video Games