Desperately need help - Dual Display Screens Blank Out for..

I have installed an ATI 700X Pro in an eMachines T6212.
It has an on board X200 Express video card which I disabled in BIOS.
The X700 works find with only a single monitor plugged in. But with dual
displays a strange problem. Each monitor blanks out for a second, usually
while the Hard Drive or DVD Burner is being accessed. Sometimes it seems to
happen as the computer goes over my LAN to access the Internet. Here is
what I've done so far.

1. Lowered refresh rate and the resolution of each monitor. They both
claim to support resolutions up to 12/10 and now I'm running 10/7. The
refresh rate of each is above 70, but I'm running them now at 60.

2. I tried uninstalling the driver and control panel and reinstalling. I
have the latest 5.4 drivers.

3. I have switched the cables so both have been on both connections.

4. I am about to try a fresh install of windows. But I was hoping someone
here could help before I go that far.
4 answers Last reply
More about desperately dual display screens blank

    bigk wrote:
    > I have installed an ATI 700X Pro in an eMachines T6212.
    > It has an on board X200 Express video card which I disabled in BIOS.
    > The X700 works find with only a single monitor plugged in. But with dual
    > displays a strange problem. Each monitor blanks out for a second, usually
    > while the Hard Drive or DVD Burner is being accessed. Sometimes it seems to
    > happen as the computer goes over my LAN to access the Internet. Here is
    > what I've done so far.

    Have you checked to see if VPU recover is switched on?

    VPU recover basically resets the graphics card engine if a problem is
    detected like. When it happens it will make the system appear as though
    it's frozen temporarily and the monitor will blank for a second before
    normal operation resumes again.

    YOu could also try checking the ACEEventLog in the Event Viewer. This
    will tell you if there are any problems with the Video card.

    Lastly do you know what temperature the card is running at? It might be
    a temperature related issue?

    --
    Regards,

    JasonB

    Thanks for answering my question...

    "jasonb" <jasonb@nospam4.me> wrote in message
    > bigk wrote:
    >> I have installed an ATI 700X Pro in an eMachines T6212.
    >> It has an on board X200 Express video card which I disabled in BIOS.
    >> The X700 works find with only a single monitor plugged in. But with dual
    >> displays a strange problem. Each monitor blanks out for a second,
    >> usually while the Hard Drive or DVD Burner is being accessed. Sometimes
    >> it seems to happen as the computer goes over my LAN to access the
    >> Internet. Here is what I've done so far.
    >>

    > Have you checked to see if VPU recover is switched on?

    I tried this and it did not fix the problem.

    > VPU recover basically resets the graphics card engine if a problem is
    > detected like. When it happens it will make the system appear as though
    > it's frozen temporarily and the monitor will blank for a second before
    > normal operation resumes again.
    >
    > YOu could also try checking the ACEEventLog in the Event Viewer. This
    > will tell you if there are any problems with the Video card.

    I did not find an ACEEventLog in the event viewer.

    > Lastly do you know what temperature the card is running at? It might be a
    > temperature related issue?

    I do not know the temp.

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > JasonB

    Just to update ...

    I called Tech Support again and they escalated my issue. The upper level
    tech support guy said he'd never seen this before and said return it or
    request warrantee service. I returned/exchanged it and now with a new card,
    all is working just fine. for now

    "BigK" <bigk@bellsouth.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for answering my question...
    >
    > "jasonb" <jasonb@nospam4.me> wrote in message
    >> bigk wrote:
    >>> I have installed an ATI 700X Pro in an eMachines T6212.
    >>> It has an on board X200 Express video card which I disabled in BIOS.
    >>> The X700 works find with only a single monitor plugged in. But with
    >>> dual displays a strange problem. Each monitor blanks out for a second,
    >>> usually while the Hard Drive or DVD Burner is being accessed. Sometimes
    >>> it seems to happen as the computer goes over my LAN to access the
    >>> Internet. Here is what I've done so far.
    >>>

    >> Have you checked to see if VPU recover is switched on?
    >
    > I tried this and it did not fix the problem.
    >
    >> VPU recover basically resets the graphics card engine if a problem is
    >> detected like. When it happens it will make the system appear as though
    >> it's frozen temporarily and the monitor will blank for a second before
    >> normal operation resumes again.
    >>
    >> YOu could also try checking the ACEEventLog in the Event Viewer. This
    >> will tell you if there are any problems with the Video card.
    >
    > I did not find an ACEEventLog in the event viewer.
    >
    >> Lastly do you know what temperature the card is running at? It might be
    >> a temperature related issue?
    >
    > I do not know the temp.
    >

    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> JasonB

    > Have you checked to see if VPU recover is switched on?
    > VPU recover basically resets the graphics card engine if a problem is
    > detected like. When it happens it will make the system appear as though
    > it's frozen temporarily and the monitor will blank for a second before
    > normal operation resumes again.

    This sounds eerily like behavior I'm seeing in mine, especially when
    I hit video apps with a heavy CPU load like DrDivx. How would I know
    if it's this VPU recover that's causing the flicker?

    Matt

Radeon Monitors Graphics