Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A strange problem with Radeon 9800 PRO

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 1:15:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

This is my configuration:
WinXP SP2
512Mb RAM
P4 3000Mhz

I've installed Shappire Radeon 9800PRO Atlantis 128Mb on ASUS P4S800
motherboard but the ATI's SmartGart utility disable all AGP
accelerations for my video card. So I upgraded the motherboard AGP
drivers to the latest version found in the ASUS official site and now
the video acceleration is ok and works at AGP8X. However there's still
some problems. First of all SmartGart turns off AGP FastWrite and AGP
Write options even if my motherboar support them and they are enabled in
the BIOS. Even more, when I use high-performance 3D games or
applications (I notice this probem the first time with Doom3) the video
drivers crashes after some time and the VPU recover error log appear
(saying the video driver no longer respond and i have to restart my
machine to get hardware graphic acceleretion back to work).

Can anyone explain what is the problem and how I can solve it?
I hope it isn't about hardware incompatibility that can be solved...

Thanks a lot!
May 8, 2005 1:39:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I always turn off VPU recover in the settings
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 2:56:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

P4S800? The "S" probably denotes an SiS chipset. Many non-Intel chipsets
have trouble with AGP8x. Throttle it down to AGP4x or even 2x in BIOS. It
will make *absolutely no difference* in games, despite what Intel's
marketing department tells you.

Fast Writes is also a useless setting. In fact it can reduce performance,
depending on how the video card drivers are coded. Turn it OFF.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."


"supergecko" <supergecko@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
news:qMkfe.1347012$35.50402239@news4.tin.it...
> This is my configuration:
> WinXP SP2
> 512Mb RAM
> P4 3000Mhz
>
> I've installed Shappire Radeon 9800PRO Atlantis 128Mb on ASUS P4S800
> motherboard but the ATI's SmartGart utility disable all AGP accelerations
> for my video card. So I upgraded the motherboard AGP drivers to the latest
> version found in the ASUS official site and now the video acceleration is
> ok and works at AGP8X. However there's still some problems. First of all
> SmartGart turns off AGP FastWrite and AGP Write options even if my
> motherboar support them and they are enabled in the BIOS. Even more, when
> I use high-performance 3D games or applications (I notice this probem the
> first time with Doom3) the video drivers crashes after some time and the
> VPU recover error log appear (saying the video driver no longer respond
> and i have to restart my machine to get hardware graphic acceleretion back
> to work).
>
> Can anyone explain what is the problem and how I can solve it?
> I hope it isn't about hardware incompatibility that can be solved...
>
> Thanks a lot!
Related resources
May 8, 2005 10:40:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"supergecko" <supergecko@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
news:qMkfe.1347012$35.50402239@news4.tin.it...
> This is my configuration:
> WinXP SP2
> 512Mb RAM
> P4 3000Mhz
>

List the rest of your system.
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 10:41:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

abc wrote:
> "supergecko" <supergecko@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
> news:qMkfe.1347012$35.50402239@news4.tin.it...
>
>>This is my configuration:
>>WinXP SP2
>>512Mb RAM
>>P4 3000Mhz
>>
>
>
> List the rest of your system.
>
>
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum
LG DVD Recorder
FireWire PCI controller
DirectX 9.0c

Anything else you need to know?
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 12:13:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Carl" <me@theworld.universe> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:D 5kmo4$sge$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>I always turn off VPU recover in the settings
>

How to turn off the VPU recover? TIA.
May 9, 2005 12:53:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"supergecko" <supergecko@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
news:qMkfe.1347012$35.50402239@news4.tin.it...
> This is my configuration:
> WinXP SP2
> 512Mb RAM
> P4 3000Mhz
>
> I've installed Shappire Radeon 9800PRO Atlantis 128Mb on ASUS P4S800
> motherboard but the ATI's SmartGart utility disable all AGP accelerations
> for my video card. So I upgraded the motherboard AGP drivers to the latest
> version found in the ASUS official site and now the video acceleration is
> ok and works at AGP8X. However there's still some problems. First of all
> SmartGart turns off AGP FastWrite and AGP Write options even if my
> motherboar support them and they are enabled in the BIOS. Even more, when
> I use high-performance 3D games or applications (I notice this probem the
> first time with Doom3) the video drivers crashes after some time and the
> VPU recover error log appear (saying the video driver no longer respond
> and i have to restart my machine to get hardware graphic acceleretion back
> to work).
>
> Can anyone explain what is the problem and how I can solve it?
> I hope it isn't about hardware incompatibility that can be solved...
>
> Thanks a lot!

Fast-writes gives no noticeable performance differance so I wouldnt worry
about that - the same goes for 8xAGP - 4x is fine. For that card you need a
decent PSU providing a reliable voltage. A quality 350/400w PSU will do.
Dont worry about using the latest drivers - try the 4.12s as they're more
stable for a lot of ppl.
May 9, 2005 1:44:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"supergecko" <supergecko@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
news:GTmfe.870830$b5.38554824@news3.tin.it...
> abc wrote:
>> "supergecko" <supergecko@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
>> news:qMkfe.1347012$35.50402239@news4.tin.it...
>>
>>>This is my configuration:
>>>WinXP SP2
>>>512Mb RAM
>>>P4 3000Mhz
>>>
>>
>>
>> List the rest of your system.
> Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum
> LG DVD Recorder
> FireWire PCI controller
> DirectX 9.0c
>
> Anything else you need to know?

Make/model of motherboard, ram configuration, PSU rating and brand, pretty
much everything attatched to your PC, and what you have tried to fix the
problem (can't remember OP), also be as specific as you can as to when the
problem happens etc..do different drivers have any effect etc...
May 10, 2005 2:17:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

> P4S800? The "S" probably denotes an SiS chipset. Many non-Intel chipsets
> have trouble with AGP8x. Throttle it down to AGP4x or even 2x in BIOS. It
> will make *absolutely no difference* in games, despite what Intel's
> marketing department tells you.
>
> Fast Writes is also a useless setting. In fact it can reduce performance,
> depending on how the video card drivers are coded. Turn it OFF.
>
I have used several SIS motherboards including P4S800 with 9700/9800/X800
and they have alway worked great including fast writes and maximum AGP
speed. That being said, the 9700/9800 has no advantage with fast writes.
Still it should work. Did you try latest BIOS for motherboard?

-Kent
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:34:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I purchased a 9800 just to play UT2004.
(Compaq computer, AMD 2G, 256 mem)

Problem: Poor video
Solution: Power Supply (Had 200 WATT)
Lockups: Heat (Problem? Not sure.)
Solution: Artic Cooler Rev3 (Plus 2 small ones for better internal
circulation)
Problem: Several Crashes
Solution: BIOS (Forgot to disable my onboard video in my CMOS or
BOIS)
Problem: Update
Solution: Updated my ATI software just for fun.

Second day of playing and at this time,everything is OK!
June 12, 2005 5:35:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"First of One" wrote:
> P4S800? The "S" probably denotes an SiS chipset. Many
> non-Intel chipsets
> have trouble with AGP8x. Throttle it down to AGP4x or even 2x
> in BIOS. It
> will make *absolutely no difference* in games, despite what
> Intel's
> marketing department tells you.
>
> Fast Writes is also a useless setting. In fact it can reduce
> performance,
> depending on how the video card drivers are coded. Turn it
> OFF.
>
> --
> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
>
>
> "supergecko" <supergecko@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
> news:qMkfe.1347012$35.50402239@news4.tin.it...
> > This is my configuration:
> > WinXP SP2
> > 512Mb RAM
> > P4 3000Mhz
> >
> > I've installed Shappire Radeon 9800PRO Atlantis 128Mb on
> ASUS P4S800
> > motherboard but the ATI's SmartGart utility disable all AGP
> accelerations
> > for my video card. So I upgraded the motherboard AGP drivers
> to the latest
> > version found in the ASUS official site and now the video
> acceleration is
> > ok and works at AGP8X. However there's still some problems.
> First of all
> > SmartGart turns off AGP FastWrite and AGP Write options even
> if my
> > motherboar support them and they are enabled in the BIOS.
> Even more, when
> > I use high-performance 3D games or applications (I notice
> this probem the
> > first time with Doom3) the video drivers crashes after some
> time and the
> > VPU recover error log appear (saying the video driver no
> longer respond
> > and i have to restart my machine to get hardware graphic
> acceleretion back
> > to work).
> >
> > Can anyone explain what is the problem and how I can solve
> it?
> > I hope it isn't about hardware incompatibility that can be
> solved...
> >
> > Thanks a lot!

Hey First of one,
Thanks, It worked! The pc is much more stable and I was able to run
through 3D mark 05 without any crashes for the first time.
Out of curiosity how did you findout about the instability of the SiS
chipsets with 8X? I try to keep up with the different chipsets but I
obviously missed this one.
Thanks again.

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-strange-problem-Radeo...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=288580
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:32:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Note I said "non-Intel chipsets", not SiS in particular. The truth of the
matter is Intel developed the AGP standard. The other chipset manufacturers
cannot seem to implement AGP as robustly as Intel can (though nVidia appears
to be an exception).

I got a Soltek mobo with the VIA KT800Pro chipset (and a 9800Pro). The BIOS
for some reason does not let me adjust AGP speed (though it allows AGP
voltage to be cranked to suicidal levels...). I had to manually force AGP4x
through SmartGART, then prevent SmartGART from re-testing the setting on the
next boot by disabling it through Services.msc. Cumbersome process, but all
the crashs I had in Doom 3 went away after setting it to 4x.

My previous ECS board with the SiS735 chipset saw graphics corruption in all
DX8 games when the AGP aperture was set to greater than 64 MB. Video card
was a 64 MB Geforce3. OpenGL games were not affected. Go figure.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."


"MDK" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
news:7_288580_6e8635e7c24a5579887657c1a1d88f56@hardwareforumz.com...
> Hey First of one,
> Thanks, It worked! The pc is much more stable and I was able to run
> through 3D mark 05 without any crashes for the first time.
> Out of curiosity how did you findout about the instability of the SiS
> chipsets with 8X? I try to keep up with the different chipsets but I
> obviously missed this one.
> Thanks again.
!