Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

I can not send email can anyone help me.

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 11:44:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I can not send email from outlook
or my incrediMail . I can recieve mail only.
The messege I get when trying to send my mail is:
The outgoing mail server 'smtp.netzero.com does not respond, please try
again late.
Under details:
Connection to server has failed.
I have even reformat my computer. I don't know what else to do.

More about : send email

July 15, 2005 12:01:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Roxie wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I can not send email from
> outlook or my incrediMail . I can recieve mail only.
> The messege I get when trying to send my mail is:
> The outgoing mail server 'smtp.netzero.com does not respond, please
> try again late.
> Under details:
> Connection to server has failed.
> I have even reformat my computer. I don't know what else to do.

Reformatting for this problem is way overkill. You have the smtp
settings wrong. Often this problem will be caused by the authentication
setting on outgoing mail; i.e., your ISP requires it or doesn't and you
have the opposite entered. Looking quickly at the page below, it
appears that NetZero does need smtp to be authenticated, but I would
check with them.

http://www.netzero.net/support/email/email-setup.html

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:38:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

thank you,
I checked with them and they told me it was set up right and that I must
have my firewall up.

"Malke" wrote:

> Roxie wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I can not send email from
> > outlook or my incrediMail . I can recieve mail only.
> > The messege I get when trying to send my mail is:
> > The outgoing mail server 'smtp.netzero.com does not respond, please
> > try again late.
> > Under details:
> > Connection to server has failed.
> > I have even reformat my computer. I don't know what else to do.
>
> Reformatting for this problem is way overkill. You have the smtp
> settings wrong. Often this problem will be caused by the authentication
> setting on outgoing mail; i.e., your ISP requires it or doesn't and you
> have the opposite entered. Looking quickly at the page below, it
> appears that NetZero does need smtp to be authenticated, but I would
> check with them.
>
> http://www.netzero.net/support/email/email-setup.html
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
July 15, 2005 11:53:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Roxie wrote:

> thank you,
> I checked with them and they told me it was set up right and that I
> must have my firewall up.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Roxie wrote:
>>
>> > Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I can not send email from
>> > outlook or my incrediMail . I can recieve mail only.
>> > The messege I get when trying to send my mail is:
>> > The outgoing mail server 'smtp.netzero.com does not respond, please
>> > try again late.
>> > Under details:
>> > Connection to server has failed.
>> > I have even reformat my computer. I don't know what else to do.

Unless NetZero is using some weird proxy server (and the clients I have
who use NetZero aren't, so I don't think this is it), you don't need to
open any ports in your firewall to send email. Perhaps you are blocking
Incredimail, though? What firewall are you using? What antivirus
program do you have?

I would instead look at whether your computer is 100% malware-free. I
know lots of people love Incredimail, but it is full of ads and there
is a high likelihood that you've picked up some crud.

I would do a few things:

1. Just use NetZero's webmail for now. Forget about Incredimail. Can you
send your email using NetZero's smtp server? If so, you know something
is wrong on your machine.

2. Go through these general malware removal steps if you haven't done
anything like this recently:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

3. Try turning off any av scanning of your outgoing email from within
your antivirus program.

4. Or have a computer professional come and look at your setup. Someone
onsite is going to be able to troubleshoot the issues far better than
people just reading about them in a newsgroup.

All troubleshooting should be done systematically, making one change at
a time and testing after each change.

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
!