USB Camera with old RS232 notebook

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.periphs (More info?)

On a side, I've an old notebook (a Compaq LTE Elite 4/75C) without any
USB port (just RS232, // and PS2 ones).

On another side, I've a Nikon Coolpix 3500 which has to be connected on
an usb port for photo transfer.

Well, how to connect this camera with this notebook ? Does it exists
some RS232/USB adapter ? An external USB card which may be connected on
the serial port ?

Is there a smart solution ? Let me know your own experience in this kind
of case. Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.periphs (More info?)

On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:09:38 +0200, natric <natricity@free.fr> found these
unused words floating about:

>On a side, I've an old notebook (a Compaq LTE Elite 4/75C) without any
>USB port (just RS232, // and PS2 ones).
>
>On another side, I've a Nikon Coolpix 3500 which has to be connected on
>an usb port for photo transfer.
>
>Well, how to connect this camera with this notebook ? Does it exists
>some RS232/USB adapter ? An external USB card which may be connected on
>the serial port ?
>
>Is there a smart solution ? Let me know your own experience in this kind
>of case. Thanks in advance

IIRC, there's a usb 'card' for the slots - IF that machine has them!

natric wrote:
> On a side, I've an old notebook (a Compaq LTE Elite 4/75C) without any
> USB port (just RS232, // and PS2 ones).
>
> On another side, I've a Nikon Coolpix 3500 which has to be connected
> on an usb port for photo transfer.
>
> Well, how to connect this camera with this notebook ? Does it exists
> some RS232/USB adapter ? An external USB card which may be connected
> on the serial port ?
>
> Is there a smart solution ? Let me know your own experience in this
> kind of case. Thanks in advance

I recommend that you forget about the USB connection - Instead get a PCMCIA
Compact flash card reader. The cost is minimal, and it will be faster and
more reliable than the USB connection.

NikonImage will still recognize the flash card reader as an imaging device,
and manage the transfer of the images for you.
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:09:38 +0200, natric <natricity@free.fr> wrote:

>On a side, I've an old notebook (a Compaq LTE Elite 4/75C) without any
>USB port (just RS232, // and PS2 ones).
>
>On another side, I've a Nikon Coolpix 3500 which has to be connected on
>an usb port for photo transfer.
>
>Well, how to connect this camera with this notebook ? Does it exists
>some RS232/USB adapter ? An external USB card which may be connected on
>the serial port ?
>
>Is there a smart solution ? Let me know your own experience in this kind
>of case. Thanks in advance

Get a card reader that fits inside the laptop card slot (PCMCIA) that
reads your memory card format - it should be cheap if you use compact
flash (CF) with the 3500.

Mike Russell wrote:
> NikonImage will still recognize the flash card reader as an imaging
> device, and manage the transfer of the images for you.

Oops, I should have said NikonView, not NikonImage.
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.periphs (More info?)

Thanks a lot for your clever suggestions. I'll take a look on stores for
a pcmcia cf card reader