Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi,
I have couple of windows xp laptop machines where the userid is
administrator. The passwords for these is lost as the previous system guy
left this job abruptly and we cannot get a hold of him. I need to access
these two laptop (no network)
computers to retrieve some important data. Is there any utility that I can
find on the web which will erase the password to blank. If not, what option
do I have on this issue?
I would appreciate any feedback for resolution. Thanks in advance.

Check out this page on Kellys site.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm
--
Johnny Hawk
Ctrl-alt-Doh!

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have couple of windows xp laptop machines where the userid is
> administrator. The passwords for these is lost as the previous system guy
> left this job abruptly and we cannot get a hold of him. I need to access
> these two laptop (no network)
> computers to retrieve some important data. Is there any utility that I can
> find on the web which will erase the password to blank. If not, what option
> do I have on this issue?
> I would appreciate any feedback for resolution. Thanks in advance.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Thanks Jonny,
I appreciate your feedback. I am going to look your recommended site for
resolutioni of my problem. Regards

"Johnny Hawk" wrote:

> Check out this page on Kellys site.
>
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm
> --
> Johnny Hawk
> Ctrl-alt-Doh!
>

> "Jack" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have couple of windows xp laptop machines where the userid is
> > administrator. The passwords for these is lost as the previous system guy
> > left this job abruptly and we cannot get a hold of him. I need to access
> > these two laptop (no network)
> > computers to retrieve some important data. Is there any utility that I can
> > find on the web which will erase the password to blank. If not, what option
> > do I have on this issue?
> > I would appreciate any feedback for resolution. Thanks in advance.

If the Win XP machines are members of an AD (or NT) domain, you could
reset the local machine admin password via one of several options:

(a) network logon script automatically

(b) logon individually to each affected machine with a Domain Admin account

(c) use one of the many tools as pointed out by other contributors

It is never a good idea to set an Admin password to blank.

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have couple of windows xp laptop machines where the userid is
> administrator. The passwords for these is lost as the previous system guy
> left this job abruptly and we cannot get a hold of him. I need to access
> these two laptop (no network)
> computers to retrieve some important data. Is there any utility that I can
> find on the web which will erase the password to blank. If not, what option
> do I have on this issue?
> I would appreciate any feedback for resolution. Thanks in advance.

Malke

Desmond Lee wrote:

> If the Win XP machines are members of an AD (or NT) domain, you could
> reset the local machine admin password via one of several options:
>
> (a) network logon script automatically
>
> (b) logon individually to each affected machine with a Domain Admin
> account
>
> (c) use one of the many tools as pointed out by other contributors
>

> It is never a good idea to set an Admin password to blank.
>
> Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!
>

> "Jack" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have couple of windows xp laptop machines where the userid is
>> administrator. The passwords for these is lost as the previous system
>> guy
>> left this job abruptly and we cannot get a hold of him. I need to
>> access these two laptop (no network)
>> computers to retrieve some important data. Is there any utility that
>> I can find on the web which will erase the password to blank. If not,
>> what option do I have on this issue?
>> I would appreciate any feedback for resolution. Thanks in advance.

It's fine to set the Administrator password to a blank so you can get
into the system. Of course you would want to change it to a strong
password once you were in. Jack, a good program to do this is NTpasswd:

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers