9800 Pro: Vertical Bars on Screen

Well it looks like my 9800 Pro 128 is going back to ATI. This will be my
2nd bad 9800 Pro.
Before I send it back, is their anything I can look for or do to repair this
myself?

You can see a pic at http://tinyurl.com/brx9y

RT

A long shot, but it looks like that you may have files from an old
driver being used with a later driver. Since having 2 bad boards is
rare, you might try uninstalling all of the ATI Catalyst and driver
software, then do a registry search to find any remnants and delete
them. Reinstall with Catalyst 5.4. I have found sometime that you
have to re-install just the driver, over the new driver, using the
Catalyst setup (not the driver setup) to get the Windows settings to
come back (no clue why this works).
I know that removing the driver trashes your desktop unless you can
save it. I use a freeware prog: Icon_Save, to save my desktop before
removing video drivers.
Good Luck!
--

"IMA" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> Well it looks like my 9800 Pro 128 is going back to ATI. This
> will be my 2nd bad 9800 Pro.
> Before I send it back, is their anything I can look for or do to
> repair this myself?
>
> You can see a pic at http://tinyurl.com/brx9y
>
> RT

I should of mentioned all was well until I turned the computer on this
morning. I have to other OS's all they all exhibit the same problem so
probably not a driver problem.

Tomorrow I'll take the vid board to work and try it there.

"glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message
>A long shot, but it looks like that you may have files from an old driver
>being used with a later driver. Since having 2 bad boards is rare, you
>might try uninstalling all of the ATI Catalyst and driver software, then do
>a registry search to find any remnants and delete them. Reinstall with
>Catalyst 5.4. I have found sometime that you have to re-install just the
>driver, over the new driver, using the Catalyst setup (not the driver
>setup) to get the Windows settings to come back (no clue why this works).
> I know that removing the driver trashes your desktop unless you can save
> it. I use a freeware prog: Icon_Save, to save my desktop before removing
> video drivers.
> Good Luck!
> --
>
> "IMA" <me@me.com> wrote in message
>> Well it looks like my 9800 Pro 128 is going back to ATI. This will be
>> my 2nd bad 9800 Pro.
>> Before I send it back, is their anything I can look for or do to repair
>> this myself?
>>
>> You can see a pic at http://tinyurl.com/brx9y
>>
>> RT

Taking a moment's reflection, Advanced Primate mused:

| I should of mentioned all was well until I turned the computer on this
| morning. I have to other OS's all they all exhibit the same problem
| so probably not a driver problem.

Looks like an issue with the card's RAM ...

JS

"~Alex~" <jazzkingNOSPAM@talk21.com> wrote in message

> "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailS­PäM.com> wrote in message
>> Taking a moment's reflection, Advanced Primate mused:
>> |
>> | I should of mentioned all was well until I turned the computer on this
>> | morning. I have to other OS's all they all exhibit the same problem
>> | so probably not a driver problem.
>>
>> Looks like an issue with the card's RAM ...
>
> Check out my post from about a month back - Red vertical lines on 9700
> pro,
> and X-posted to a UK group:
> http://tinyurl.com/9rb2v
>
> I thought I'd sorted mine by adding some more thermal paste but after a
> week
> it'd gone back to teh same problems I think you are experiencing... So
> I've
> put it down to a heat problem and am currently using an older ATI card (a
> 7200 VIVO, so no danger of that getting too hot!) I bought it second hand
> (well, refurbished) and the RTB warrantee has run out so the vendor isn't
> interested. Because it's been refurbished though i doubt the manufacturer
> (Hercules) will help either... They did, however, tell me that an Arctic
> Cooling VGA cooler would fit their boards, so maybe they would take it
> back
> as faulty...
>
> Check out my screenshots and see if that's the same thing that is
> happening
> to you anyway, something dodgy must be going on with all these ATI
> cards...
>
> ~A~

This only gets better. I took the card to work and installed it. First it
worked the same as home, with very similar vertical bars and artificts.
After 5 minutes it's back to normal. Another 5 minutes go buy and it starts
all over again.

So I'm guessing heat issue, it's air conditioned here at work. I have an
Artic Cooler which I should try on card. Perhaps the fan is bad or not
spinning fast enough.

> >> Looks like an issue with the card's RAM ...
> >
> > Check out my post from about a month back - Red vertical lines on 9700
> > pro,
> > and X-posted to a UK group:
> > http://tinyurl.com/9rb2v
> >
> > I thought I'd sorted mine by adding some more thermal paste but after a
> > week
> > it'd gone back to teh same problems I think you are experiencing... So
> > I've
> > put it down to a heat problem and am currently using an older ATI card (a
> > 7200 VIVO, so no danger of that getting too hot!) I bought it second hand
> > (well, refurbished) and the RTB warrantee has run out so the vendor isn't
> > interested. Because it's been refurbished though i doubt the manufacturer
> > (Hercules) will help either... They did, however, tell me that an Arctic
> > Cooling VGA cooler would fit their boards, so maybe they would take it
> > back
> > as faulty...
> >
> > Check out my screenshots and see if that's the same thing that is
> > happening
> > to you anyway, something dodgy must be going on with all these ATI
> > cards...
> >
> > ~A~
> >
> This only gets better. I took the card to work and installed it. First it
> worked the same as home, with very similar vertical bars and artificts.
> After 5 minutes it's back to normal. Another 5 minutes go buy and it starts
> all over again.

> So I'm guessing heat issue, it's air conditioned here at work. I have an
> Artic Cooler which I should try on card. Perhaps the fan is bad or not
> spinning fast enough.

It sounds like a defective card if it shows the same symptoms on multiple
systems,
--
"You're kissing an ant hill." --Mike Nelson
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

<ANTant@zimage.com> kirjoitti viestissä

> > > Check out my post from about a month back - Red vertical lines on 9700
> > > pro,
> > > and X-posted to a UK group:
> > > http://tinyurl.com/9rb2v
> > >
> > > I thought I'd sorted mine by adding some more thermal paste but after
> > > week
> > > it'd gone back to teh same problems I think you are experiencing...
So
> > > I've
> > > put it down to a heat problem and am currently using an older ATI card
(a
> > > 7200 VIVO, so no danger of that getting too hot!) I bought it second
hand
> > > (well, refurbished) and the RTB warrantee has run out so the vendor
isn't
> > > interested. Because it's been refurbished though i doubt the
manufacturer
> > > (Hercules) will help either... They did, however, tell me that an
Arctic
> > > Cooling VGA cooler would fit their boards, so maybe they would take it
> > > back
> > > as faulty...
> > >
> > > Check out my screenshots and see if that's the same thing that is
> > > happening
> > > to you anyway, something dodgy must be going on with all these ATI
> > > cards...
> > >
> > > ~A~
> > >
> > This only gets better. I took the card to work and installed it. First
it
> > worked the same as home, with very similar vertical bars and artificts.
> > After 5 minutes it's back to normal. Another 5 minutes go buy and it
starts
> > all over again.
>
> > So I'm guessing heat issue, it's air conditioned here at work. I have
an
> > Artic Cooler which I should try on card. Perhaps the fan is bad or not
> > spinning fast enough.
>
> It sounds like a defective card if it shows the same symptoms on multiple
> systems,

How about RF disturbance by the card fan? Well, the Arctic Cooler would fix
that one, too.

--
gt