9800 Pro: Vertical Bars on Screen

Well it looks like my 9800 Pro 128 is going back to ATI. This will be my
2nd bad 9800 Pro.
Before I send it back, is their anything I can look for or do to repair this
myself?

You can see a pic at http://tinyurl.com/brx9y

RT
6 answers Last reply
More about 9800 vertical bars screen

    A long shot, but it looks like that you may have files from an old
    driver being used with a later driver. Since having 2 bad boards is
    rare, you might try uninstalling all of the ATI Catalyst and driver
    software, then do a registry search to find any remnants and delete
    them. Reinstall with Catalyst 5.4. I have found sometime that you
    have to re-install just the driver, over the new driver, using the
    Catalyst setup (not the driver setup) to get the Windows settings to
    come back (no clue why this works).
    I know that removing the driver trashes your desktop unless you can
    save it. I use a freeware prog: Icon_Save, to save my desktop before
    removing video drivers.
    Good Luck!
    --

    "IMA" <me@me.com> wrote in message
    > Well it looks like my 9800 Pro 128 is going back to ATI. This
    > will be my 2nd bad 9800 Pro.
    > Before I send it back, is their anything I can look for or do to
    > repair this myself?
    >
    > You can see a pic at http://tinyurl.com/brx9y
    >
    > RT

    I should of mentioned all was well until I turned the computer on this
    morning. I have to other OS's all they all exhibit the same problem so
    probably not a driver problem.

    Tomorrow I'll take the vid board to work and try it there.

    "glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message
    >A long shot, but it looks like that you may have files from an old driver
    >being used with a later driver. Since having 2 bad boards is rare, you
    >might try uninstalling all of the ATI Catalyst and driver software, then do
    >a registry search to find any remnants and delete them. Reinstall with
    >Catalyst 5.4. I have found sometime that you have to re-install just the
    >driver, over the new driver, using the Catalyst setup (not the driver
    >setup) to get the Windows settings to come back (no clue why this works).
    > I know that removing the driver trashes your desktop unless you can save
    > it. I use a freeware prog: Icon_Save, to save my desktop before removing
    > video drivers.
    > Good Luck!
    > --
    >
    > "IMA" <me@me.com> wrote in message
    >> Well it looks like my 9800 Pro 128 is going back to ATI. This will be
    >> my 2nd bad 9800 Pro.
    >> Before I send it back, is their anything I can look for or do to repair
    >> this myself?
    >>
    >> You can see a pic at http://tinyurl.com/brx9y
    >>
    >> RT

    Taking a moment's reflection, Advanced Primate mused:

    | I should of mentioned all was well until I turned the computer on this
    | morning. I have to other OS's all they all exhibit the same problem
    | so probably not a driver problem.

    Looks like an issue with the card's RAM ...

    "~Alex~" <jazzkingNOSPAM@talk21.com> wrote in message

    > "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailS­PäM.com> wrote in message
    >> Taking a moment's reflection, Advanced Primate mused:
    >> |
    >> | I should of mentioned all was well until I turned the computer on this
    >> | morning. I have to other OS's all they all exhibit the same problem
    >> | so probably not a driver problem.
    >>
    >> Looks like an issue with the card's RAM ...
    >
    > Check out my post from about a month back - Red vertical lines on 9700
    > pro,
    > and X-posted to a UK group:
    > http://tinyurl.com/9rb2v
    >
    > I thought I'd sorted mine by adding some more thermal paste but after a
    > week
    > it'd gone back to teh same problems I think you are experiencing... So
    > I've
    > put it down to a heat problem and am currently using an older ATI card (a
    > 7200 VIVO, so no danger of that getting too hot!) I bought it second hand
    > (well, refurbished) and the RTB warrantee has run out so the vendor isn't
    > interested. Because it's been refurbished though i doubt the manufacturer
    > (Hercules) will help either... They did, however, tell me that an Arctic
    > Cooling VGA cooler would fit their boards, so maybe they would take it
    > back
    > as faulty...
    >
    > Check out my screenshots and see if that's the same thing that is
    > happening
    > to you anyway, something dodgy must be going on with all these ATI
    > cards...
    >
    > ~A~

    This only gets better. I took the card to work and installed it. First it
    worked the same as home, with very similar vertical bars and artificts.
    After 5 minutes it's back to normal. Another 5 minutes go buy and it starts
    all over again.

    So I'm guessing heat issue, it's air conditioned here at work. I have an
    Artic Cooler which I should try on card. Perhaps the fan is bad or not
    spinning fast enough.

    > >> Looks like an issue with the card's RAM ...
    > >
    > > Check out my post from about a month back - Red vertical lines on 9700
    > > pro,
    > > and X-posted to a UK group:
    > > http://tinyurl.com/9rb2v
    > >
    > > I thought I'd sorted mine by adding some more thermal paste but after a
    > > week
    > > it'd gone back to teh same problems I think you are experiencing... So
    > > I've
    > > put it down to a heat problem and am currently using an older ATI card (a
    > > 7200 VIVO, so no danger of that getting too hot!) I bought it second hand
    > > (well, refurbished) and the RTB warrantee has run out so the vendor isn't
    > > interested. Because it's been refurbished though i doubt the manufacturer
    > > (Hercules) will help either... They did, however, tell me that an Arctic
    > > Cooling VGA cooler would fit their boards, so maybe they would take it
    > > back
    > > as faulty...
    > >
    > > Check out my screenshots and see if that's the same thing that is
    > > happening
    > > to you anyway, something dodgy must be going on with all these ATI
    > > cards...
    > >
    > > ~A~
    > >
    > This only gets better. I took the card to work and installed it. First it
    > worked the same as home, with very similar vertical bars and artificts.
    > After 5 minutes it's back to normal. Another 5 minutes go buy and it starts
    > all over again.

    > So I'm guessing heat issue, it's air conditioned here at work. I have an
    > Artic Cooler which I should try on card. Perhaps the fan is bad or not
    > spinning fast enough.

    It sounds like a defective card if it shows the same symptoms on multiple
    systems,
    --
    "You're kissing an ant hill." --Mike Nelson
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )

    <ANTant@zimage.com> kirjoitti viestissä

    > > > Check out my post from about a month back - Red vertical lines on 9700
    > > > pro,
    > > > and X-posted to a UK group:
    > > > http://tinyurl.com/9rb2v
    > > >
    > > > I thought I'd sorted mine by adding some more thermal paste but after
    > > > week
    > > > it'd gone back to teh same problems I think you are experiencing...
    So
    > > > I've
    > > > put it down to a heat problem and am currently using an older ATI card
    (a
    > > > 7200 VIVO, so no danger of that getting too hot!) I bought it second
    hand
    > > > (well, refurbished) and the RTB warrantee has run out so the vendor
    isn't
    > > > interested. Because it's been refurbished though i doubt the
    manufacturer
    > > > (Hercules) will help either... They did, however, tell me that an
    Arctic
    > > > Cooling VGA cooler would fit their boards, so maybe they would take it
    > > > back
    > > > as faulty...
    > > >
    > > > Check out my screenshots and see if that's the same thing that is
    > > > happening
    > > > to you anyway, something dodgy must be going on with all these ATI
    > > > cards...
    > > >
    > > > ~A~
    > > >
    > > This only gets better. I took the card to work and installed it. First
    it
    > > worked the same as home, with very similar vertical bars and artificts.
    > > After 5 minutes it's back to normal. Another 5 minutes go buy and it
    starts
    > > all over again.
    >
    > > So I'm guessing heat issue, it's air conditioned here at work. I have
    an
    > > Artic Cooler which I should try on card. Perhaps the fan is bad or not
    > > spinning fast enough.
    >
    > It sounds like a defective card if it shows the same symptoms on multiple
    > systems,

    How about RF disturbance by the card fan? Well, the Arctic Cooler would fix
    that one, too.

    --
    gt

Radeon ATI Graphics